Sign in with
Your question

Numerous HD/OS questions

Last response: in Storage
December 26, 2002 3:47:16 AM

I know most or all of this has been covered somewhere previously on this board, but I would just like some answers specific to my situation so I completely understand everything.

My setup will be as follows:
Epox 8k5a2+ w/ 4 drive raid capability
512 pc2700
Maxtor 120gb 7200 ata133
Maxtor 30gb 7200 (chance this will go into server)

This computer will be used mainly for gaming, playing, recording, and encoding audio, playing encoded video, playing and ripping dvds for backup ;) , recording misc data, and graphics work (adobe, 3dstudiomax).

1) I have Windows 98 SE and 2000 Pro (and perhaps XP) at my disposal. Which OS and file system would be best suited to these applications?
Also 80% chance I will share data over my network with my Linux box (acts partially as ftp server, would like to transfer some of the files to and fro), but if Linux cannot write to NTFS (it can read though?), is this a moot issue? Also I was contemplating dual boot with Win OS and Linux on this system, but again, if it cannot deal well with NTFS, moot issue again?

2) I was thinking 120gb drive (with c:\) #1 IDE. 2x cd rom #2 IDE. 30gb drive #1 Raid. Sound good?

3) On to partitioning. From what I can gather, most people make a >=5gb 1st partition for the OS for best speed. Are there any cons to running other programs on this partition as well such as graphics programs, ftp client, etc? Is this 5gb partition only the norm while running 2k, ME, or XP? From my experience, 98 doesn't need anywhere near 5gb to itself, but sometimes writes files to temp directory on C drive before transfering to other drives, at which I have run out of space on older systems.

4) My initial plan was to run a 5gb 1st partition for only OS, 5gb for dual boot if I choose, 20gb for applications/games, 2x 45 for data, 30gb drive(if it goes in here) strictly for mp3 storage until it's full which will be soon ;p. How does this setup sound performance wise?

5) One more question on application placement. Will performance increase if I place an application specific to a data type on the same drive as the data? For example, Windows media player on same partition as video files.

6) Last, how critical is HD cooling? I plan to run at least one low speed 80mm intake, and 2x medium speed 60mm exhaust fans in a box pretty congested with wires (plan to split and round IDE cables which should help though). Would I benefit from placing a HD cooling unit on each drive?

I appreciate any and all input. thank you

More about : numerous questions

December 26, 2002 4:20:31 AM

1. win2k. Definately win2k. Much more stable.
2. sounds good enough. Keep the HDD's alone on a cable for maximum speed, opticals can share a cable well enough.
3. really up to you. i use the 5gb system partition just cauz its easy to manage and uick to defrag. Swap file really doesnt come into it as its not used much... lots of ram helps.
4. sounds good
5. not really. WMP for me is on C, and most media is on my second drive. ive had no speed probs.
6. depends on your case airflow dynamics. No cooling is not desirable, but just a little is sufficient. my old case had 1 rear fan only, and the hard drives were in the usual spot with little flow and they were ok. generally IDE drives dont get very hot.

<b><font color=purple>[Rik_]</font color=purple> I wonder how many people have made their own phasechange system?
<font color=blue>[LHGPooBaa]</font color=blue> I get phasechange whenever i eat a hot chillie :lol:  </b>
December 26, 2002 4:25:53 AM

do you run other programs not associated with your OS on primary partition, like file transfer progs for example, or should I toss everything on application partition.
Related resources
December 26, 2002 4:30:17 AM

yes. ive got office, photoeditor, and other assorted apps on the 5gb OS partition with no problems. But you can allways make another dedicated partition for proggies.

<b><font color=purple>[Rik_]</font color=purple> I wonder how many people have made their own phasechange system?
<font color=blue>[LHGPooBaa]</font color=blue> I get phasechange whenever i eat a hot chillie :lol:  </b>
December 27, 2002 11:44:54 AM

any opinions on fat32 vs ntfs for my situation?
!