??? CD Recorders recomendations ???

Last response: in Home Audio
December 9, 2004 7:05:30 PM

I would like to hear from anybody who ever did
direct CD recording of the live performance.
Direct output from PA Mixer, no mixing or editing
required. All I need is to record a song on CD the
way it sounds live and instantly burn it on CD for
evaluation. The only requirements: it has to be portable,
fast, reliable and CDs readable on ANY CD player.
(I heard some portable stand alone CD recorders have
problems in that area).

Not for studio work (I am perfectly satisfied with my
SCSI Maxtor)

--

Production Music,
Film/advertisement/production libraries/multimedia/web sites.

http://www.subverted.com
sergestodolnik@NOSPAMcomcast.net
Anonymous
December 9, 2004 8:31:32 PM

Serge Stodolnik <sergestodolnik@concast.net> wrote:
>I would like to hear from anybody who ever did
>direct CD recording of the live performance.
>Direct output from PA Mixer, no mixing or editing
>required. All I need is to record a song on CD the
>way it sounds live and instantly burn it on CD for
>evaluation. The only requirements: it has to be portable,
>fast, reliable and CDs readable on ANY CD player.
>(I heard some portable stand alone CD recorders have
>problems in that area).
>
>Not for studio work (I am perfectly satisfied with my
>SCSI Maxtor)

The HHb recorders are solid and reliable. Discs won't play on ANY
cd player, but then neither will discs from any other CD-R recorder.
They will rackmount nicely with the rest of the PA gear. Error rates
are reasonably low with the Mitsui blanks.

If you need better portability, the Marantz is really the only thing
out there that will do what you want.

Of course, the output of the PA mixer probably isn't really what you
want to be listening to, but that's a secondary issue.
--scott

December 10, 2004 6:00:02 AM

"Serge Stodolnik" <sergestodolnik@concast.net> wrote in message
> I would like to hear from anybody who ever did
> direct CD recording of the live performance.
> Direct output from PA Mixer, no mixing or editing
> required. All I need is to record a song on CD the
> way it sounds live and instantly burn it on CD for
> evaluation. The only requirements: it has to be portable,
> fast, reliable and CDs readable on ANY CD player.
> (I heard some portable stand alone CD recorders have
> problems in that area).
>
> Not for studio work (I am perfectly satisfied with my
> SCSI Maxtor)

Does it have to be CD? they are not the most robust things to record direct
onto live.
Recording to Minidisc would be better. then back hoem it can be transfered
using your PC and an audio in..... more often than not a digital in such as
Optical.
That way you can edit it a bit if you want but if you dont.. its just a
matter of copying it over.......

Scott replied and mentioned aobut direct out from a PA and how this is not
normamly a good idea.

Not knowing your background it is dificult to explain why. (it might be
obvious to you)

If you would like more information on how and how not to do live recordings
then contact me direct.
cnics@robbeech.com

A direct recording will be very different from the live sound.
may not be suitable at all. (buit easy to get round in a live situation
using no extra gear as such)

Rob
Related resources
December 10, 2004 6:00:03 AM

Rob Beech wrote:
> Does it have to be CD? they are not the most robust things to record direct
> onto live.
> Recording to Minidisc would be better.

Curious, why is a MiniDisc better than a CD?

--
Eric

www.Raw-Tracks.com
Anonymous
December 10, 2004 10:13:22 AM

Rob Beech wrote:

> Does it have to be CD? they are not the most robust things to record direct
> onto live.

I've recorded buckets of shows with an HHB CDR-850 Plus. Been absolutely
reliable. I'd not want to run the audio through Minidisc first.

--
ha
Anonymous

In article <31sm9dF3ft5csU1@individual.net> eric@Raw-Tracks.com writes:

> Curious, why is a MiniDisc better than a CD?

Because you can carry the recorder in your pocket.

December 10, 2004 12:44:23 PM

EricK <eric@Raw-Tracks.com> wrote:
>Rob Beech wrote:
>> Does it have to be CD? they are not the most robust things to record direct
>> onto live.
>> Recording to Minidisc would be better.
>
>Curious, why is a MiniDisc better than a CD?

My experience with minidisc is that it's anything but robust, especially if
the recorder is being shaken around.
--scott

December 10, 2004 2:57:06 PM

"EricK" <eric@Raw-Tracks.com> wrote in message
> Rob Beech wrote:
> > Does it have to be CD? they are not the most robust things to record
direct
> > onto live.
> > Recording to Minidisc would be better.
>
> Curious, why is a MiniDisc better than a CD?
>
> --
> Eric
>
> www.Raw-Tracks.com

its no better. but i have had problems with people with what must be diving
boots near FOH.

Rob
December 10, 2004 2:57:07 PM

Rob Beech wrote:
> but i have had problems with people with what must be diving
> boots near FOH.

?? what does that mean? Diving Boots?

--
Eric

www.Raw-Tracks.com
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 8:07:43 PM

What about the Alesis Masterlink?
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 8:45:40 PM

Anyone have experience with the Marantz/Denon CDR420 (with hard drive)? or
the 670 (with flash drive)? They both look like they spec out as very
convenient portable packages. But do the internal mic preamps sound good,
and are they reliable?

Lee
December 11, 2004 11:47:45 PM

Lee Liebner wrote:
> Sorry, guys, for some reason I wasn't able to google the info on the pdm670
> until now, so forget that. But what about the CDR420?

The CDR420 isn't shipping yet, so I doubt you will find any reliable
information on it yet.

--
Eric

www.Raw-Tracks.com
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 5:26:24 PM

>Anyone have experience with the Marantz/Denon CDR420 (with hard drive)? or
>the 670 (with flash drive)? They both look like they spec out as very
>convenient portable packages. But do the internal mic preamps sound good,
>and are they reliable?
>
>Lee

The 670 is an amazing machine.
No moving parts, so the built in microphone works quite well for note taking.

One of my clients uses one in place of his DAT machine for interviews.

At one point he was in a quiet area and 60 feet from the machine and the
conversation could be heard clearly even though his preferred recording is MP3.
( internal Mic)

As to the preamps, they aren't the best, but no preamps in battery operated
recorders are all that great, but with a decent microphone the sound is just
fine.

I believe that 2 gig flash rams are now available and that makes 16 bit 44.1
PCM recording viable on this machine.
A 2 gig CF isn't required for 16/44, but It will give you about 3 hours
recording time.

If you record in a reduced quality format you could have days of recording on
the machine.

Richard H. Kuschel