Router forums

MrTony44

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
Hello,
I have a Frontier Netgear Router Model 7550. I want to share my external hard drive[Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 2TB] via the usb port in rear. I think its possible and think I have an idea on how to do it but some things I don't mess with the settings without knowing what I'm doing for sure. I greatly appreciate any help in the matter. Thanks.

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
ALthough your router supports a usb drive, I'm not too sure if it is worth connecting (sacrificing) a 2TB HDD on it.
Usually, routers with that kind of functionallity only support the FAT32 file system which will limit you in may ways. For instance, Disk Volume size, File size and Number of files on disk, not to mention file transfer speeds.
So if that is the case, I would suggest using a smaller disk on it or not at all.
Otherwise if does support NTFS or ext file systems it may be worth looking into.

As for the setup, it shouldnt be too hard. There should be an interface you can use to share your folders etc. It should be pretty basic stuff, likely a list of available files/folders and available permissions for each to select.

You shouldn't be worried about mucking up your connection by looking into the sharing process. Before doing anything make a backup of your router configuration to be on the safe side, that way you can't go wrong!

MrTony44

Honorable
Nov 26, 2012
Thanks, much appreciated. That actually helps me in what direction to look. The Only reason I want to is I use the laptop in the living room and its kind of pain to have my drive hooked up, not to mention you barely have to nudge the usb cable on the pc side and it disconnects my drive. It would be great to have access but not have to worry about how much I can move my laptop without a disconnection happening. Thanks again.