Sign in with
Your question

Recently built new PC, can't get internet.

Last response: in Networking
January 11, 2013 7:27:50 PM

It was my first build, and it's saying I have no network adapters. My motherboard's driver disk did not come with network adapter drivers. Nothing else has gone wrong during the build except this.

Mobo: MSI Z77A-G41
January 11, 2013 8:07:44 PM

I have. It gets to the end of the install, then it says ''The realtek network controller was not found''
Related resources
a c 101 V Motherboard
January 11, 2013 8:19:17 PM

Ah, okay. Double check that the driver is the correct OS version driver (including 32 bit, aka x86, or 64 bit) and also go into the bios and make sure that the onboard LAN is enabled.
January 11, 2013 8:25:31 PM

It is the correct OS. I have no idea how to turn on/off the onboard LAN in the BIOS. :S
a c 101 V Motherboard
January 11, 2013 9:16:12 PM

Look at your manual, but most motherboards go into the bios by hitting the delete key when posting (powering up).

Then it will be under integrated peripherals in the advanced bios. You really want to turn on the advanced bios always and disable the full bios post screen (the MSI splash screen) and instead see the information at post. Under the integrated peripherals it will be something like onboard LAN controller.

If you want to build your own, you absolutely must spend time in the bios, that is the real expertise gained in building -- not the assembly or Windows install -- so look through your manual and go through the bios to see that everything is correct, like your memory speed and timing that is often wrong based on auto settings.
January 11, 2013 9:16:48 PM

RealBeast said:
Ah, okay. Double check that the driver is the correct OS version driver (including 32 bit, aka x86, or 64 bit) and also go into the bios and make sure that the onboard LAN is enabled.

Scrap what i said before. I found the onboard LAN thing, and it IS enabled, 100%
a c 101 V Motherboard
January 11, 2013 9:17:53 PM

And you are installing Window 7, or 8?
January 11, 2013 9:18:10 PM

RealBeast said:
Look at your manual, but most motherboards go into the bios by hitting the delete key when posting (powering up).

Then it will be under integrated peripherals in the advanced bios. You really want to turn on the advanced bios always and disable the full bios post screen (the MSI splash screen) and instead see the information at post. Under the integrated peripherals it will be something like onboard LAN controller.

If you want to build your own, you absolutely must spend time in the bios, that is the real expertise gained in building -- not the assembly or Windows install -- so look through your manual and go through the bios to see that everything is correct, like your memory speed and timing that is often wrong based on auto settings.

I understand this, but I really need the internet running on my tower. Badly.
January 11, 2013 9:18:27 PM

RealBeast said:
And you are installing Window 7, or 8?

Windows 7
a c 101 V Motherboard
January 11, 2013 9:23:34 PM

Evenleik said:
I understand this, but I really need the internet running on my tower. Badly.
Of course. I would download a new copy of the LAN driver as the one you have may be corrupted, and try another install. Also, check in the device manager to see if the network adapter shows up at all. If not, you may be able to add it by manually adding new hardware.
a c 101 V Motherboard
January 11, 2013 9:26:26 PM

And you installed all the other drivers, like the Intel chipset driver and sound without any issues?
January 11, 2013 9:31:18 PM

RealBeast said:
Of course. I would download a new copy of the LAN driver as the one you have may be corrupted, and try another install. Also, check in the device manager to see if the network adapter shows up at all. If not, you may be able to add it by manually adding new hardware.

Okay, ill try downloading a new driver. I did check in the device manager, and it wasn't there. How do I manually add the new hardware? Also, I don't think it is corrupted, it mentioned it is missing something.
January 11, 2013 9:31:39 PM

RealBeast said:
And you installed all the other drivers, like the Intel chipset driver and sound without any issues?

Yes.
January 11, 2013 10:16:08 PM

RealBeast said:

Okay, tried this. Didn't work.

a c 101 V Motherboard
January 11, 2013 10:41:18 PM

Try an older version of the driver off the disk that came with your motherboard. I would also try a new download of the latest driver even if you think that the one you have is fine.

What does the error message say is missing?
January 11, 2013 10:42:40 PM

RealBeast said:
Try an older version of the driver off the disk that came with your motherboard. I would also try a new download of the latest driver even if you think that the one you have is fine.

Something about Realtek's network controller being in a ''deep sleep'' it's very odd, not to mention frustrating.
January 12, 2013 9:39:46 AM

RealBeast said:

i
I woke up this morning and decided to boot it in safe mode, network adapters -did- show up this time, but with this: http://i.imgur.com/Nd4hd.jpg
a c 101 V Motherboard
January 12, 2013 12:43:25 PM

None of those are your network Ethernet adapter -- those are all wireless adapters. You need to uninstall each of them in the device manager until there is nothing under network adapters and then download this driver and install and make sure that it installs as an LAN (Ethernet) device: http://us.msi.com/service/download/driver-2697.html
!