Kyro II Evil - TV Out - Copyright Violation

AeroSpaceRocks

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2002
I have a Kyro II Evil 64, with TV out, running on XP. When I play a DVD, using Power DVD, to my TV, some DVD's will not play. It pops up saying that there is a copyright violation. Is this from the video card, the DVD player, my Power DVD software, or just something else XP won't let you do. - Please help, Thanks ASR

If it doesn't smoke.....you ain't trying hard enough!!!

Frisbee

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2002
This is probably caused by Macrovision protection.
This has nothing to do with the Kyro video chip, but with your TV-Out chip on your video card. It is either a Connexant or a Chrontel ship, and both have Macrovision protection built-in to avoid illegal copies. But in your case it is not working the way it should.
I once had a similar problem: video playback on tv only showed a black screen, while the Windows screen WAS visible on my tv.
There is a small utility to counter this, but unfortunately I have forgotten its name. It was something like "TvTuner" or something.
Does anybody else remember the name of this program?

Also, I found this to eliminate my problem:
1. Start the DVD while TV-Out is OFF.
2. AFTER you see the DVD menu in PowerDVD, turn TV-Out ON in the screen properties. I think that the "clone" mode works better than the "Windows extension" mode, but I'm not sure. Try both.
3. Then move the PowerDVD screen to your tv set by dragging it with your mouse.

Greetings;
Carl

AeroSpaceRocks

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2002
Thanks Frisbee, but it seems I'm going to have to ditch my Kyro card to view DVD's on my TV. I tried the trick of starting the movie, and then turning on my TV-out. That didn't work. I also tried running a few Macrovision killers that I found on the internet, but they were for Nvidia cards. I've been reading a few posts here, and it seems the best deal for the buck is an ATI Radeon 7500. I read the spec's on this and it appears that it can be set for either TV "or" monitor, whereas with the Kyro it's TV "and" monitor. Unfortunately this Macrovision proprietary protection only seems to hurt the honest people trying to enjoy the product that they purchased. -ASR

If it doesn't smoke.....you ain't trying hard enough!!!