I need help looking for a cable modem with a phone line.

deergab

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
I need help looking for a router or something else that still allows me to connect my phone line to my router or computer so people in the house can make calls. My cable modem is a Motorola SBV5120 I had it for eight years now and I am thinking of switching our network to wireless so I don't get those cluttered wires. Please help I have been searching on Google allot and I cannot find, or just don't know if the modem I found will have a phone line where I can jack in a phone. Not a cellphone!

wacabletech

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

Technically what you want is called an eMTA embedded multimedia terminal adapter, some companies [IE motorola] call it a voice modem as well.
So at this point you need to make sure what you buy is compatible with your cable provider, as in they have a firmware for the cmts they use and your modem model as well as boot files.

I know ubee, arris, and Motorola make some emta's, as well as SMC. Arris and SMC make wireless combo units, but the wireless is junk in them. Comcast uses them and they barely cover apartments. If you live in a house of any size you're not going to be happy with them, and so I would suggest you get a voice MODEM and a SEPARATE wireless router. Motorola SVG models are wireless and voice but at the same time the wireless is junk compared to any decent sidecar wireless router. Regardless of what you do, you need to make sure your cable companies cmts can support the device you buy for voice/internet, and the only way to get that info is from them. Generally, through a clunky designed web site or the smarter route google search company name and supported emta or modem list.

TRENDING THREADS