Bypassing an internet filter

Morwraith

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Hello,
I work at a boarding high school at nights and as such I have a lot of free time. However the internet here is very restricted due to obvious concerns about children and unrestricted access. I have private internet at my room on campus but its too far away to connect to. I was wondering if it would be possible to setup my laptop/tablet to connect to my home computer and access the internet through them without restriction. And if so how would I go about doing that?

Morwraith

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
And to put some minds at ease this would not get me in any trouble. The internet is blocked because of requirements on educational funding but as such I cant even access gmail or amazon which is what Im trying to do.

john-b691

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Maybe depends how hard they try to block you. The one I know works for sure is openvpn using SSL. But you must use ssl/tls so that it appears to be HTTPS traffic. The default I think for openvpn is to use pptp which likely is blocked and is pain to get to work behind some routers.

The best way to do this is to run the openvpn directly on a router that can run the correct dd-wrt image. Otherwise you will have to use a PC which needs to be left on.

You other option is to try to use one of the many public proxy servers but they may block those also. You could try to set up your own proxy but I don't know free ones and this is generally limited to only web browsing many flash based things do not always work correctly