DVD Burning Question...

Last response: in Home Audio
December 11, 2004 12:53:05 AM

I have been burning CD's for only a couple of weeks. Very new to
this .mp3 creation stuff.
Have a Toshiba DVD/CD SD-R5002 in my computer.
Using Microsoft Media Player with Nero, it burns .mp3's to CD
without any problem. They work on most of my home DVD/CD players
without any problem.
BUT, I started burning the .mp3's onto DVD's and they will only
work in the computer.
Error, Bad Disc - is displayed on all my home units. (a KLH, a
Sony, an Apex and a Pioneer)

What am I over-looking?

Thanks.

ds

--

There's only one credo...
The Webb Wilder credo:

More about : dvd burning question

Anonymous
December 11, 2004 2:10:15 AM

docsavage <docsavage@fakeid.com> wrote:

: I have been burning CD's for only a couple of weeks. Very new to
: this .mp3 creation stuff.
: Have a Toshiba DVD/CD SD-R5002 in my computer.
: Using Microsoft Media Player with Nero, it burns .mp3's to CD
: without any problem. They work on most of my home DVD/CD players
: without any problem.
: BUT, I started burning the .mp3's onto DVD's and they will only
: work in the computer.
: Error, Bad Disc - is displayed on all my home units. (a KLH, a
: Sony, an Apex and a Pioneer)

: What am I over-looking?

What is your DVDR media? DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD+R, DVD+R_DL?

--Leonid
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 2:10:16 AM

dvd = digital video disc.
there are some who call it digital versitile disc
audio on a dvd is dvd-a a new standard yet to be fully implemented.
(96k/24bit)
it can be a data disc, storage of data, in this case mp3 files, which
is what you are writing on your computer.

dale
December 11, 2004 6:13:15 AM

"docsavage" <docsavage@fakeid.com> wrote in message

> I have been burning CD's for only a couple of weeks. Very new to
> this .mp3 creation stuff.
> Have a Toshiba DVD/CD SD-R5002 in my computer.
> Using Microsoft Media Player with Nero, it burns .mp3's to CD
> without any problem. They work on most of my home DVD/CD players
> without any problem.
> BUT, I started burning the .mp3's onto DVD's and they will only
> work in the computer.
> Error, Bad Disc - is displayed on all my home units. (a KLH, a
> Sony, an Apex and a Pioneer)
>
> What am I over-looking?

all 4of your dvd players can't be faulty so its somewhere else to start
looking.
Some units tho not all will require the DVD equivelant of finalising to
work. (can be a pain as sometimes you dont want to fill a dvd up str8 away)
In all fairness is there any particular reason for burning them to dvd's
you can get a lot of mp3's on a CD. Or is it for like a random playback
facility?

try finalising. it will be an option marked in your software.

Rob

Anonymous
December 11, 2004 10:17:44 AM

docsavage wrote:
> I have been burning CD's for only a couple of weeks. Very new to
> this .mp3 creation stuff.
> Have a Toshiba DVD/CD SD-R5002 in my computer.
> Using Microsoft Media Player with Nero, it burns .mp3's to CD
> without any problem. They work on most of my home DVD/CD players
> without any problem.
> BUT, I started burning the .mp3's onto DVD's and they will only
> work in the computer.
> Error, Bad Disc - is displayed on all my home units. (a KLH, a
> Sony, an Apex and a Pioneer)
>
> What am I over-looking?

That depends on how you're creating the CDs. If you are creating a data
CD, Nero will put the MP3s on it as data files, exactly as they are
written on your hard drive. But if you are creating an audio CD, Nero
will convert the MP3s to standard uncompressed CD format.

In the case of the data CD, any computer with an MP3 player application
will still be able to play the MP3s, and there are an increasing number
of modern CD and DVD players that will recognize a data CD with MP3s and
play them directly. Not all players by any means, and not even most,
but it's becoming an increasingly common feature.

In the case of the audio CD, well, it's an audio CD. It should play on
any player. The audio is no longer in MP3 format.

In the case of a DVD, there is only one format - a data format. All
DVDs, including DVD-Audio and DVD-Video, use a computer data format in
which to store their content.

If you put MP3 files onto a DVD, your computer will still be able to
play them. However, a standalone DVD player will probably not be able
to do so. In fact, some DVD players that are fully capable of playing
MP3s on a data CD are still completely unable to do so on a data DVD.
I'm not sure why they're designed this way - it would seem reasonable to
give them this capability - but I've never seen a DVD player that could
handle MP3s on a data DVD.
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 10:18:32 AM

"Jim Gilliland" wrote ...
> If you put MP3 files onto a DVD, your computer will still be able to play
> them. However, a standalone DVD player will probably not be able to do
> so. In fact, some DVD players that are fully capable of playing MP3s on a
> data CD are still completely unable to do so on a data DVD. I'm not sure
> why they're designed this way - it would seem reasonable to give them this
> capability - but I've never seen a DVD player that could handle MP3s on a
> data DVD.

The definitive reference is the epic compatibility table that
can be found online at www.videohelp.com It lists thousands
of DVD players and what kinds of discs and formats they will
and won't play.
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 10:45:31 AM

In article <1102726168.552354.309100@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> dallen@frognet.net writes:

> dvd = digital video disc.
> there are some who call it digital versitile disc

That's because its official name is Digital Versatile Disk

December 11, 2004 6:15:33 PM

"docsavage" <docsavage@fakeid.com> wrote in message

> I have been burning CD's for only a couple of weeks. Very new to
> this .mp3 creation stuff.
> Have a Toshiba DVD/CD SD-R5002 in my computer.
> Using Microsoft Media Player with Nero, it burns .mp3's to CD
> without any problem. They work on most of my home DVD/CD players
> without any problem.
> BUT, I started burning the .mp3's onto DVD's and they will only
> work in the computer.
> Error, Bad Disc - is displayed on all my home units. (a KLH, a
> Sony, an Apex and a Pioneer)
>
> What am I over-looking?

Are you burn CD-ROMs of MP3s, or are you reconverting mP3s to CD Audio ?

If the latter, and you have the original uncompressed tracks, just burn
those instead.

geoff
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 9:37:23 PM

We are using DVD-R
Have used both TDK and Pioneer brandname.
Used both ISO and UDF format. (the udf format, no error message,
just keeps the 'loading' message on screen and refuses to
eject.)

re: CD's
The ones we've burned so far have always worked on all the home
units.

re: MP3's
Have been backing-up my CD collection and allowing for 'several
albums' by the same artist to play back-to-back. (easier than
having to get up and change CD's every half-hour. - okay, I'm
lazy)
The intent was to put as many .mp3's (albums) as I could onto a
'few' DVD's and play them on my home entertainment center.

re: finalizing
Hmmmm... will have to look into that subject...

thanks for your help.

ds

--

> : I have been burning CD's for only a couple of
> : weeks. Very new to this .mp3 creation stuff.
> : Have a Toshiba DVD/CD SD-R5002 in my computer.
> : Using Microsoft Media Player with Nero, it
> : burns .mp3's to CD without any problem. They
> : work on most of my home DVD/CD players without
> : any problem.
> : BUT, I started burning the .mp3's onto DVD's
> : and they will only work in the computer.
> : Error, Bad Disc - is displayed on all my home
> : units. (a KLH, a Sony, an Apex and a Pioneer)
>
> : What am I over-looking?
>

> What is your DVDR media? DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD+R,
DVD+R_DL?

> --Leonid
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 2:35:19 AM

Richard Crowley wrote:
> "Jim Gilliland" wrote ...
>
>>If you put MP3 files onto a DVD, your computer will still be able to play
>>them. However, a standalone DVD player will probably not be able to do
>>so. In fact, some DVD players that are fully capable of playing MP3s on a
>>data CD are still completely unable to do so on a data DVD. I'm not sure
>>why they're designed this way - it would seem reasonable to give them this
>>capability - but I've never seen a DVD player that could handle MP3s on a
>>data DVD.
>
> The definitive reference is the epic compatibility table that
> can be found online at www.videohelp.com It lists thousands
> of DVD players and what kinds of discs and formats they will
> and won't play.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to answer the question above - that is,
whether or not a player can handle MP3s that are stored on a DVD. It
shows a great many players that can play MP3s, but doesn't differentiate
between those that will play MP3s on a CD vs those that will play MP3s
on a DVD. Unless there's something in that table that I haven't deciphered.

Nonetheless, it is a very useful table.
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 5:25:28 PM

On 11 Dec 2004 07:45:31 -0500, Mike Rivers <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote:

> In article <1102726168.552354.309100@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> dallen@frognet.net writes:
>
>> dvd = digital video disc.
>> there are some who call it digital versitile disc
>
> That's because its official name is Digital Versatile Disk

I thought they changed it and now it didn't stand for anything in
particular.
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 5:25:29 PM

In article <sDhvd.7424$t44.4048@trndny03> cdkrug@aol.com writes:

> >> dvd = digital video disc.
> >> there are some who call it digital versitile disc

> I thought they changed it and now it didn't stand for anything in
> particular.

I hadn't heard that. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's true. The
consumer electronics industry is too big to risk confusing the
customers.

December 13, 2004 5:25:30 PM

Mike Rivers wrote:

>>I thought they changed it and now it didn't stand for anything in
>>particular.
>

> I hadn't heard that. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's true. The
> consumer electronics industry is too big to risk confusing the
> customers.

Then, DVD now stands for nothing because consumers will fall for anything?
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 4:40:50 PM

docsavage wrote:

> I have been burning CD's for only a couple of weeks. Very new to
> this .mp3 creation stuff.
> Have a Toshiba DVD/CD SD-R5002 in my computer.
> Using Microsoft Media Player with Nero, it burns .mp3's to CD
> without any problem. They work on most of my home DVD/CD players
> without any problem.
> BUT, I started burning the .mp3's onto DVD's and they will only
> work in the computer.
> Error, Bad Disc - is displayed on all my home units. (a KLH, a
> Sony, an Apex and a Pioneer)
>
> What am I over-looking?

As soon as your player sees a DVD it expects it to be a video disc - if
it doesn't contain video then it doesn't know what to do with it. It is
likely that newer players might understand DVD's with other content in
the future but very few current DVD players can handle mp3 on DVD.

Cheers.

James.
February 24, 2009 7:18:30 PM

cant burn dvd .it well burn 1/4of the dvd then kick out and say not enought dvd space .what could be the problem
!