2 HDDs Installation

Scummyer

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2002
Is it a good idea to install 2 HDDs of the same model?? ‘cos I have and Windows is only showing one of the drives and not the secondary one. It’s there in the BIOS, but just doesn’t show up in Windows.

System Specs are :-
Gigabyte 7RVXP
Win XP (Home)
2 IBM Deskstar 120GXP 80GB HDD
GeForce 2 MX 440

sturm

Splendid
Under my computer it shows a C: drive and the cdrom but no D: or E: hard drive? Have u formatted the second drive? Are u using cable select or master/slave jumpers? On the same Ide cable or seperate cables? Look in the device manager and see if there are any yellow or red flags. have u double checked the connections: seated properly?

Scummyer

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2002
It shows no D: HDD. The second is not formatted (it's brand new) and I'm using master/slave jumpers on the same IDE cable. I think my problem might be due to the fact that both drives are of the same IBM model (80GB Deskstar 120GXP). :eek:/

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Scummyer on 12/27/02 01:10 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Scummyer

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2002
Thanks for the help but I've managed to sort out the problem.
The second HDD was inaccessible because it was not formatted. So I did just that; format it and run Scandisk and now it's perfectly fine. :)