macintosh marketshare

Last response: in Home Audio
December 10, 2004 7:45:56 PM

news service reports macintosh is now at less than 4% marketshare. but
ipod is keeping the money going at apple.

More about : macintosh marketshare

Anonymous
December 10, 2004 8:59:42 PM

iPod isn't a money maker neither is the iTunes music store. It's kind
of a whack marketing chain. At least this is how my Apple sales rep
explained it to me. The iTunes music store helps sell iPods which in
turn helps sell Macintoshes. Their biggest money makers are the desktop
and powerbook computers. A lot less over head on the computers when
compared to the mark-up. Where as the iPod they make a few bucks on
each sale, not to be taken litterally. I'm sure it's more than five
dollars per sale but far less than 200.

cheers

garrett

On 2004-12-10 16:45:56 -0800, genericaudioperson@hotmail.com said:

> news service reports macintosh is now at less than 4% marketshare. but
> ipod is keeping the money going at apple.
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 12:45:18 PM

On 12/10/04 4:45 PM, in article
1102725956.755990.250060@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com,
"genericaudioperson@hotmail.com" <genericaudioperson@hotmail.com> wrote:

> news service reports macintosh is now at less than 4% marketshare. but
> ipod is keeping the money going at apple.

Your point? I drive a Range Rover. As far as auto sales, the Range Rover
is less than 1/10th of 1 percent of the market share. Should I be concerned
or something? Maybe I should buy a Ford Explorer. I'm sure I would feel
more comfortable knowing it has a higher market share.
December 12, 2004 12:58:48 AM

4 percent of the marketshare is like 20 million computers a year world
wide. It is a big enough volume to make good products and make money.
Had it been 15 years ago than 4 percent might be problematic.
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 2:45:05 AM

Somewhere in Texas, a village is missing its idiot.
"Stephen Boyke" <sdelsolray@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On 12/10/04 4:45 PM, in article
> 1102725956.755990.250060@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com,
> "genericaudioperson@hotmail.com" <genericaudioperson@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > news service reports macintosh is now at less than 4% marketshare. but
> > ipod is keeping the money going at apple.
> >

> Your point? I drive a Range Rover. As far as auto sales, the Range Rover
> is less than 1/10th of 1 percent of the market share. Should I be
concerned
> or something? Maybe I should buy a Ford Explorer. I'm sure I would feel
> more comfortable knowing it has a higher market share.

The other thing to remember is that the PC market share is split amongst
1000 different vendors.
December 12, 2004 10:26:29 AM

In article <1102831128.326582.101240@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
transmogrifa <mmeprod@mmeproductions.com> wrote:

> 4 percent of the marketshare is like 20 million computers a year world
> wide. It is a big enough volume to make good products and make money.
> Had it been 15 years ago than 4 percent might be problematic.

I pretty sure Apple shipped a little over 800,000 Macs last quarter.
And a hair over 2 million ipods.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

CelebrationSound@aol.com
www.CelebrationSound.com
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 11:58:47 AM

transmogrifa <mmeprod@mmeproductions.com> wrote:
>4 percent of the marketshare is like 20 million computers a year world
>wide. It is a big enough volume to make good products and make money.
>Had it been 15 years ago than 4 percent might be problematic.

Precisely. It is still sort of depressing to see how Microsoft and Intel
have taken the industry over.

The guys making Amiga machines today, though, would drool for 4% of the
marketplace...
--scott
December 12, 2004 4:28:17 PM

The battery of the ipod or the computers? The battery of a Sony laptop
cost 199 to replace. 100 would be a deal.
Mike http://www.mmeproductions.com
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 5:55:07 PM

<< david, your figures are pretty much on,
but they are for the last quarter only.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/TechNews/TechInvestor/2004/...

which is pretty much what you said....
it was early, i thought you meant for the year.....
i'm awake now....
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 5:55:08 PM

"Digidog27" wrote ...
> << david, your figures are pretty much on,
> but they are for the last quarter only.
>
> http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/TechNews/TechInvestor/2004/...
>
> which is pretty much what you said....
> it was early, i thought you meant for the year.....
> i'm awake now....

"Apple officials believe the popularity of the company's music
products, which also includes the online ITunes Music Store,
is also creating a "halo effect," translating to more sales for the
computer business, Oppenheimer said. "

Wait till they find out that Apple charges $100 to replace the
battery. The halo may turn out to be a liability.
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 10:46:50 PM

> Wait till they find out that Apple charges $100 to replace the
> battery. The halo may turn out to be a liability.

Wait 'till they find out they can buy a newer battery with significantly
more capacity for $35 and change it out themselves....
December 13, 2004 10:16:09 AM

In article <20041212095507.09653.00001308@mb-m20.aol.com>, Digidog27
<digidog27@aol.com> wrote:

> << david, your figures are pretty much on,
> but they are for the last quarter only.
>
> http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/TechNews/TechInvestor/2004/...
> >>

> which is pretty much what you said....
> it was early, i thought you meant for the year.....
> i'm awake now....

I've done the same thing myself.

I keep close touch cuz I own the stock. It's been breath taking the
last 2 years.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

CelebrationSound@aol.com
www.CelebrationSound.com
December 13, 2004 10:30:02 AM

In article <Ke1vd.41823$6q2.9307@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>, Particle
Salad <mark@particlesalad.com> wrote:

> > Wait till they find out that Apple charges $100 to replace the
> > battery. The halo may turn out to be a liability.
>
> Wait 'till they find out they can buy a newer battery with significantly
> more capacity for $35 and change it out themselves...

One of the unmentioned powers of the iPod is the diverse 3rd party
business ecosystem that has grown around it. All kinds of products from
all kinds of companies. From BMW to Bose.

As Mark mentioned above, replacement iPod batteries are easy to get and
cheap. e.g.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/ipod/

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

CelebrationSound@aol.com
www.CelebrationSound.com
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 2:36:20 AM

"Garrett Cox" <garrcox@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> iPod isn't a money maker neither is the iTunes music store. It's kind
> of a whack marketing chain. At least this is how my Apple sales rep
> explained it to me. The iTunes music store helps sell iPods which in
> turn helps sell Macintoshes.

Well, that's the theory, but most of Apple's significant wad of ready cash
came from iPods this year, not macs. And only a very tiny bit came from
iTunes.

So what's the next rabbit from the hat?

jb

>Their biggest money makers are the desktop
> and powerbook computers. A lot less over head on the computers when
> compared to the mark-up. Where as the iPod they make a few bucks on
> each sale, not to be taken litterally. I'm sure it's more than five
> dollars per sale but far less than 200.
>
> cheers
>
> garrett
>

> On 2004-12-10 16:45:56 -0800, genericaudioperson@hotmail.com said:
>
> > news service reports macintosh is now at less than 4% marketshare. but
> > ipod is keeping the money going at apple.

Anonymous
December 15, 2004 12:15:55 PM

reddred <opaloka@REMOVECAPSyahoo.com> wrote:
>"Garrett Cox" <garrcox@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> iPod isn't a money maker neither is the iTunes music store. It's kind
>> of a whack marketing chain. At least this is how my Apple sales rep
>> explained it to me. The iTunes music store helps sell iPods which in
>> turn helps sell Macintoshes.
>
>Well, that's the theory, but most of Apple's significant wad of ready cash
>came from iPods this year, not macs. And only a very tiny bit came from
>iTunes.
>
>So what's the next rabbit from the hat?

A follow-on to the Newton.
Apple is really good at pulling disconnected rabbits out of hats, and they
have been doing so since they started. Aside from a couple mistakes, like
the Apple III and the Mac Portable, they've done surprisingly well at it.
--scott

December 15, 2004 12:43:12 PM

In article <AM2dnTFooO14ICLcRVn-pw@adelphia.com>, reddred
<opaloka@REMOVECAPSyahoo.com> wrote:

> "Garrett Cox" <garrcox@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > iPod isn't a money maker neither is the iTunes music store. It's kind
> > of a whack marketing chain. At least this is how my Apple sales rep
> > explained it to me. The iTunes music store helps sell iPods which in
> > turn helps sell Macintoshes.
>
> Well, that's the theory, but most of Apple's significant wad of ready cash
> came from iPods this year, not macs. And only a very tiny bit came from
> iTunes.
>
> So what's the next rabbit from the hat?
>
> jb

Yes, the Music Store is part of the iTunes/iPod package and by itself
makes some but not a ton of dough.

But separating out the iPod earnings is hard to do, and it something
the company has not done. What it really is is a bunch of extra
earnings for the Apple infrastructure. I personally would guess about
55 - 60% of their profit. There were 835,000 Macs and 2,000,000 iPods
sold during the last quarter. $106 million in earnings. Don't forget
that iBook and Powerbook sales have gone up considerably over the past
year. And the company earns interest on their almost $5 billion nest
egg. I know I could probably get by on the interest generated by $5
billion ;>

As to the next rabbit, Wall St. says it's lots and lots more iPods.
Apple with sell more in 2005, and supposedly even more in 2006 and even
more in 2007. Personally, I think that's an easy one.

And those Apple Retail Stores are boosting their numbers every quarter,
and the company continues to open more.

Add to this what Wall St. is calling "a halo effect" - happy iPod
owners become a source of more Mac sales. And Jobs obviously has a few
more tricks up his sleeve. A kind of natural iteration imo is a combo
iPod/Cellphone.

Given the huge run up in AAPL the past 2 years - trust me, if you owned
the stock you noticed it ;> - there was a surprising article in the
Wall St. Journal 2 days ago intimating the stock has considerably more
upside.

We shall see.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

CelebrationSound@aol.com
www.CelebrationSound.com
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 7:57:34 PM

"david" <ihate@spamo.com> wrote in message
> In article <AM2dnTFooO14ICLcRVn-pw@adelphia.com>, reddred
> <opaloka@REMOVECAPSyahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > "Garrett Cox" <garrcox@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > iPod isn't a money maker neither is the iTunes music store. It's kind
> > > of a whack marketing chain. At least this is how my Apple sales rep
> > > explained it to me. The iTunes music store helps sell iPods which in
> > > turn helps sell Macintoshes.
> >
> > Well, that's the theory, but most of Apple's significant wad of ready
cash
> > came from iPods this year, not macs. And only a very tiny bit came from
> > iTunes.
> >
> > So what's the next rabbit from the hat?
> >
> > jb
>

> But separating out the iPod earnings is hard to do, and it something
> the company has not done.

We know that Macs represent roughly half of Apple's sales. Sales for macs
are up marginally this year, like the PC industry, but Apple's operating
income has gone up roughly 400 percent, and revenues rose 33 percent.

Parts costs for computer manufacturers have gone up, so the margin on the
machines is lower, and lower still because of demanding new price points. I
think it's logical to assume that the margins are pretty big on a box like
the iPod. There's not much in there, and most of the R&D was in design. That
huge rollout, a 400 percent increase in income, is not due to macs or logic
express taking over the world. And the 1/3rd increase in revenue is not due
to macs being sold, it is due to relatively cheap little boxes being sold
for $400 apiece.

>I know I could probably get by on the interest generated by $5
> billion ;>

I sure would have a kickass studio.

> As to the next rabbit, Wall St. says it's lots and lots more iPods.
> Apple with sell more in 2005, and supposedly even more in 2006 and even
> more in 2007. Personally, I think that's an easy one.

The price points are going to come down, they have to. I'm wondering if
we'll see more of the iPod licensing like Apple and HP have done.

> And those Apple Retail Stores are boosting their numbers every quarter,
> and the company continues to open more.

I don't know if those are making money or not yet.

> Add to this what Wall St. is calling "a halo effect" - happy iPod
> owners become a source of more Mac sales. And Jobs obviously has a few
> more tricks up his sleeve. A kind of natural iteration imo is a combo
> iPod/Cellphone.

You can go anywhere with it, I'm guessing a larger screen and some kind of
expansion port for wifi. That would fit in with a cell, but they might have
to partner with someone to make it work right.

> Given the huge run up in AAPL the past 2 years - trust me, if you owned
> the stock you noticed it ;> - there was a surprising article in the
> Wall St. Journal 2 days ago intimating the stock has considerably more
> upside.

I think there's a lot more growth, but nothing like this year. They need to
make another great big fat rabbit, or they need to buy someone.

jb
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 8:06:14 PM

> reddred <opaloka@REMOVECAPSyahoo.com> wrote:
> >"Garrett Cox" <garrcox@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> iPod isn't a money maker neither is the iTunes music store. It's kind
> >> of a whack marketing chain. At least this is how my Apple sales rep
> >> explained it to me. The iTunes music store helps sell iPods which in
> >> turn helps sell Macintoshes.
> >
> >Well, that's the theory, but most of Apple's significant wad of ready
cash
> >came from iPods this year, not macs. And only a very tiny bit came from
> >iTunes.
> >
> >So what's the next rabbit from the hat?
>
> A follow-on to the Newton.

That's like what I was thinking, or in the short term partner with Sirius to
compete with XM's portable players. But yeah, I don't see any reason not to
have a pc inside an iPod.

> Apple is really good at pulling disconnected rabbits out of hats, and they
> have been doing so since they started. Aside from a couple mistakes, like
> the Apple III

I don't think they supported that much. Things like the Newton were just too
weird at the time for people to embrace. I kind of like what they're doing
now, coming at it from the entertainment gadget angle.

jb
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 8:47:54 PM

reddred <opaloka@REMOVECAPSyahoo.com> wrote:
>"Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message
>
>> Apple is really good at pulling disconnected rabbits out of hats, and they
>> have been doing so since they started. Aside from a couple mistakes, like
>> the Apple III
>
>I don't think they supported that much. Things like the Newton were just too
>weird at the time for people to embrace. I kind of like what they're doing
>now, coming at it from the entertainment gadget angle.

They didn't support the III at all, as far as I could tell, which is why
nobody bought it. It could do everything the Apple II could do, for a
whole lot more money. That's not a good marketing plan.

Apple does not seem to really do careful investigation of the market before
making products; they make products that are neat and some of them find a
market share and some of them tank. And _some_ of them, like the Newton
and like Hypercard, start out poorly, build momentum, and then get discontinued
just as they are starting to develop a market. The Ipod caught on, but if
it hadn't, I am sure Apple has plenty more things waiting in the wings.
Some will be great and some will be useless.
--scott
December 15, 2004 9:17:30 PM

> reddred <opaloka@REMOVECAPSyahoo.com> wrote:
> >"Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message
> >
> >> Apple is really good at pulling disconnected rabbits out of hats, and
they
> >> have been doing so since they started. Aside from a couple mistakes,
like
> >> the Apple III
> >
> >I don't think they supported that much. Things like the Newton were just
too
> >weird at the time for people to embrace. I kind of like what they're
doing
> >now, coming at it from the entertainment gadget angle.
>
> They didn't support the III at all, as far as I could tell, which is why
> nobody bought it. It could do everything the Apple II could do, for a
> whole lot more money. That's not a good marketing plan.

The emulation mode was a dumb idea, too. I think a IIe was basically what
the III should have been.

> Apple does not seem to really do careful investigation of the market
before
> making products; they make products that are neat and some of them find a
> market share and some of them tank.

That's one of the things I like about them. It's more like media companies
used to be, it's very odd for a technology company to be like that once they
are any size at all. It seems to work for them, though.

jb
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 2:35:15 AM

> > > iPod isn't a money maker neither is the iTunes music store.
> > Well, that's the theory, but most of Apple's significant wad of ready cash
> > came from iPods this year, not macs.
> But separating out the iPod earnings is hard to do, and it something
> the company has not done.

Err, they just did it.

Quote :

Of the $8.279 billion in net sales reported for FY04, Apple's Macintosh
line -- Power Macs, PowerBooks, iMacs, eMacs and iBooks -- brought in
$4.923 billion. The iPod brought in another $1.3 billion for the company
in FY04. Its iTunes Music Store and other iPod-related accessories and
services brought in another $278 million. The remainder came from sales
of peripherals, software and services.

End of quote.

From http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/12/03/10k/index.php

Regards,
--
Eric (Dero) Desrochers
http://homepage.mac.com/dero72

Hiroshima 45, Tchernobyl 86, Windows 95
December 16, 2004 6:11:23 AM

In article <cppgur$8ks$1@panix2.panix.com>, Scott Dorsey
<kludge@panix.com> wrote:

> >So what's the next rabbit from the hat?
>
> A follow-on to the Newton.

> --scott

No chance for a Newton like device anytime soon, accord to Jobs on
multiple occasions over the past few years. And when you look at the
marketplace, you gotta tip your hat for the Steve-ing the Newton,
Scully's baby.

One of the things Apple's been doing is keeping the iPod "pure" by not
filling it with a whole bunch of other functions. 3rd parties are
hacking little programs into it but not yet Apple.

Supposedly they are watching to see how the new photo iPod does before
mucking the waters further. I always thought it obvious that they add
an am/fm tuner to the thing.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

CelebrationSound@aol.com
www.CelebrationSound.com
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 8:56:37 AM

reddred wrote:
> I don't think they supported that much. Things like the Newton were just too
> weird at the time for people to embrace.

If by "weird" you mean "expensive and falling far short of its promise
of recognizing handwriting", then I agree. ;-)

And yeah, I know they released some update where the handwriting
recognitiong was much-improved, but by that time it already had
a reputation for being an impractical gadget that was desirable
only to hard-core gadget freaks.

- Logan
December 17, 2004 10:26:14 AM

In article <1goulx8.rrhfgjywycdcN%deromax@hotmail.com>, Eric Desrochers
<deromax@hotmail.com> wrote:

> > > Well, that's the theory, but most of Apple's significant wad of ready cash
> > > came from iPods this year, not macs.
> > But separating out the iPod earnings is hard to do, and it something
> > the company has not done.
>
> Err, they just did it.
>
> Quote :
>
> Of the $8.279 billion in net sales reported for FY04, Apple's Macintosh
> line -- Power Macs, PowerBooks, iMacs, eMacs and iBooks -- brought in
> $4.923 billion. The iPod brought in another $1.3 billion for the company
> in FY04. Its iTunes Music Store and other iPod-related accessories and
> services brought in another $278 million. The remainder came from sales
> of peripherals, software and services.
>
> End of quote.
>
> From http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/12/03/10k/index.php
>
> Regards,
> --
> Eric (Dero) Desrochers
> http://homepage.mac.com/dero72

By earnings, we weren't speaking gross numbers, but actual percent of
Apple's net.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

CelebrationSound@aol.com
www.CelebrationSound.com
Anonymous
December 25, 2004 8:27:24 AM

reddred wrote:

> >I know I could probably get by on the interest generated by $5
> > billion ;>

> I sure would have a kickass studio.

While the money lasted...

--