My Studio is Finished... for now

Last response: in Home Audio
December 11, 2004 8:00:00 AM

Check out my space: http://www.toddejones.com/huge.html

Tell me what you think...

More about : studio finished

Anonymous
December 11, 2004 8:00:01 AM

Looks great, especially the high ceilings. If you ever redo the
floor, you might consider this new product which is kind of a bamboo
laminate... it's very attractive, very hard, and much cheaper than
hardwood. It comes in different prices depending on how thick, etc.

Al

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 05:00:00 GMT, "Mister Sensitive"
<mistersensitive@sickofthiscrap.com> wrote:

>Check out my space: http://www.toddejones.com/huge.html
>
>Tell me what you think...

Anonymous
December 11, 2004 8:00:01 AM

How's that MOTU 896 treating you? I'm about to sell my three 828's as I
just bought a 24IO mkII which I'm going to use with the preamps on my Mackie
32*8 board until I can slowly acquire more boutique preamp channels. I've
got an Avalon 737 and a dbx and I'm looking at getting an FMR RNP.

Looks like a fun space!

Tim

"Mister Sensitive" <mistersensitive@sickofthiscrap.com> wrote in message
> Check out my space: http://www.toddejones.com/huge.html
>
> Tell me what you think...

December 11, 2004 8:45:24 AM

"Mister Sensitive" <mistersensitive@sickofthiscrap.com> wrote in message
> Check out my space: http://www.toddejones.com/huge.html
>
> Tell me what you think...

Interesting... how's it sound?

Neil Henderson
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 3:46:51 PM

"Mister Sensitive" <mistersensitive@sickofthiscrap.com> wrote in message
> Check out my space: http://www.toddejones.com/huge.html
>
> Tell me what you think...

Great job! I desperately NEED something exactly like that ( I'm just in one
12' x 14' bedroom with 8' ceilings for all my recording gear and the
drumset )

John L Rice
Drummer@ImJohn.com
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 4:08:18 PM

It sounds pretty great. Sounds open, with a tight bottom end and gentle
natural sound. I'm just starting to record tunes again. Will post when I
have something of value.

"Neil Henderson" <neil.henderson@sbcglobal.netNOSPAM> wrote in message

> "Mister Sensitive" <mistersensitive@sickofthiscrap.com> wrote in message
> > Check out my space: http://www.toddejones.com/huge.html
> >
> > Tell me what you think...
>

> Interesting... how's it sound?
>
> Neil Henderson

Anonymous
December 11, 2004 4:09:30 PM

>Tell me what you think...

Nice job! Now get to work and record some stuff!

Joe Egan
EMP
Colchester, VT
www.eganmedia.com
Anonymous
December 11, 2004 4:10:43 PM

I like the 896HD a lot. Very flexible, sounds pretty good. I've heard there
are issues with the ADAT lightpipe - emitting clicks into the audio, thus
rendering that feature kind of useless. But then, some folks haven't had
that at all. My Demeter pre is really sweet, though I still lust for a Great
River and/or a 4 channel API box.

"Noise Farm" <tim@noisefarmstudio.com> wrote in message
> How's that MOTU 896 treating you? I'm about to sell my three 828's as I
> just bought a 24IO mkII which I'm going to use with the preamps on my
Mackie
> 32*8 board until I can slowly acquire more boutique preamp channels. I've
> got an Avalon 737 and a dbx and I'm looking at getting an FMR RNP.
>
> Looks like a fun space!
>
> Tim
>
> "Mister Sensitive" <mistersensitive@sickofthiscrap.com> wrote in message
> > Check out my space: http://www.toddejones.com/huge.html
> >
> > Tell me what you think...

Anonymous
December 11, 2004 8:37:32 PM

Mister Sensitive wrote:
> Check out my space: http://www.toddejones.com/huge.html
>
> Tell me what you think...

Nice job.

If you ever decide to upgrade the air conditioning, look
into a ductless "mini-split" system. We installed a
Fujisu in our control room last summer and it works great.

It's basically a wall mounted blower unit with rotatable
vents and a remote control. The condenser unit gets
mounted outside. Very quiet and effective.

John Noll
Retromedia Sound Studios
Red Bank, NJ

jn145_deletethisfirst_@verizon.net

http://www.retromedia.net
December 11, 2004 11:25:40 PM

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 05:00:00 GMT, "Mister Sensitive"
<mistersensitive@sickofthiscrap.com> wrote:

>Check out my space: http://www.toddejones.com/huge.html
>
>Tell me what you think...

COOL.
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 12:18:42 AM

Mister Sensitive <mistersensitive@sickofthiscrap.com> wrote:

> Check out my space: http://www.toddejones.com/huge.html
>
> Tell me what you think...

That's some beautiful space, congrats!

The only thing I would have done differently is avoiding a plywood floor
at all cost. Thick hardwood at least, or even concrete. I hate
vibrating floors!

A floor that would match the wood used elsewhere (ladder, etc) would
look incredible!

--
Eric (Dero) Desrochers
http://homepage.mac.com/dero72

Hiroshima 45, Tchernobyl 86, Windows 95
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 2:06:23 AM

ED,

You may be right. Concrete was out of the question for cost considerations.
Hardwood also would have run me some bux, plus set me back months. My
builder did run really strong flooring trusses, so it's cinched up pretty
tight. There's no discernable wobble.

That said, one of these days, I'm gonna clear it all out, get a nail gun and
one of them tightener thingies and go in hock putting real wood down...

-Todd

"Eric Desrochers" <deromax@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Mister Sensitive <mistersensitive@sickofthiscrap.com> wrote:
>
> > Check out my space: http://www.toddejones.com/huge.html
> >
> > Tell me what you think...
>
> That's some beautiful space, congrats!
>
> The only thing I would have done differently is avoiding a plywood floor
> at all cost. Thick hardwood at least, or even concrete. I hate
> vibrating floors!
>
> A floor that would match the wood used elsewhere (ladder, etc) would
> look incredible!
>
> --
> Eric (Dero) Desrochers
> http://homepage.mac.com/dero72
>
> Hiroshima 45, Tchernobyl 86, Windows 95
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 3:58:09 AM

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 22:18:42 +0100, Eric Desrochers wrote:

> Mister Sensitive <mistersensitive@sickofthiscrap.com> wrote:
>
>> Check out my space: http://www.toddejones.com/huge.html
>>
>> Tell me what you think...
>
> That's some beautiful space, congrats!

It is indeed the best way: create a studio designed for your needs!

> The only thing I would have done differently is avoiding a plywood floor
> at all cost. Thick hardwood at least, or even concrete. I hate
> vibrating floors!

In our studio, with a grand piano we have avoided vibrations. I used a
concrete floor with a few extra inches of concrete, a damping layer, an
then a hardwood top. http://www.serg.vangennip.com/www/studio.html
But with a piano it is more important to kill the transfer of contact
sound. The floor is flat and reflective. The walls have texture and are
reflective, although they do absorb a bit of the low frequencies. The roof
is designed to be 50% reflective for a broad range of frequencies.

--
Chel van Gennip
Visit Serg van Gennip's site http://www.serg.vangennip.com