Sign in with
Your question

Dual Channel DDR Question

Last response: in Memory
December 28, 2002 2:46:59 AM

Can you clarify for me the how Dual Channel DDR works.

1.) is Dual Channel DDR266 faster than a single DDR333

2.) with dual channel ddr do you have to have 2 sticks of ram or just one.

Thanks for your help

More about : dual channel ddr question

December 28, 2002 3:21:04 AM

When using DC DDR it requires 2 sticks of ram to be installed. Yes it is faster than single DDR333

Here is a <A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?pcm=959418" target="_new">PCMark2002 Benchmark</A> of my Tyan S2662 Granite Bay motherboard.

Yes, I am running 3.06HT on I7205 chipset =)

<b>"Granted I dont own a P4. But I read enough stuff and waste enough time on forums newsgroups IRC and computer news sites that I proberly know more then if I DID own a P4." -vk2amv</b>
December 28, 2002 3:53:53 AM

so 2 256mb sticks of ram in a dual channel ddr board are faster than 1 stick of 512mb in a regualar board?
Related resources
December 28, 2002 5:19:44 AM

think of it like RAID.
it will be the death of rambus. intel wont be making any more rambus motherboards.
December 29, 2002 8:41:32 AM

Much faster, I have seen some screen shots of DC DDR scores beyond what is possible from RDR PC4200.

I hope PIO doesnt mind linkage but his scores own.

<A HREF="http://www.piopioshardware.com/ocarea/441.gif" target="_new">PIO broke 5K sandra</A> with DC DDR on a gigabyte mobo.

<b>"Granted I dont own a P4. But I read enough stuff and waste enough time on forums newsgroups IRC and computer news sites that I proberly know more then if I DID own a P4." -vk2amv</b>
December 29, 2002 12:52:14 PM

that's a weird screenshot you have there!

Because the ram there runs at 200mhz, and since the Granite Bay can only run the ram at the same speed as the FSB of the CPU, they have a HUGE overclock, or they have found a way to use other fsb:ram multipliers!

I'm going to check out if I can find the article on pio where the picture came from...
December 29, 2002 11:08:35 PM

There is also a pin trick to fool the motherboard for 3:4 memory option.

Also the 1.6A and 1.8A C1 stepping can reach 200FSB now in rare cases with extreme cooling.

That is insane bandwidth.

I will go for the Gigabyte board next.

December 31, 2002 3:01:18 AM

The max vcore for a C1 is around 1.75v to reach its maximum speed. I have seen the Japanese using liquid nitrogen and pushing 2.0v

December 31, 2002 11:49:44 PM

It also depends what chipset/cpu type you use.

Dualchannel will benefit a P4 FAR more than using a Nforce2 Board for AMD cpu's.
Some performance is gained with the Nforce2, but its small.

<b><font color=purple>[Rik_]</font color=purple> I wonder how many people have made their own phasechange system?
<font color=blue>[LHGPooBaa]</font color=blue> I get phasechange whenever i eat a hot chillie :lol:  </b>
January 1, 2003 4:27:01 AM

indeed, a dualie DDR P4 OWNS an nForce2 AXP, with overclocking/3:4 tweak for the i7205 mobo, or once a better dual DDR chipset comes for P4

-Col.Kiwi
January 1, 2003 1:43:30 PM

A pin trick to do that?
You mean it will probably also work on Granite Bay motherboards like the Gigabyte Ga-8INXP?
Can you give me some links or other info?
Because I would really like to try that out as soon as I finally have my 8INXP...
January 1, 2003 11:07:14 PM

<A HREF="http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&t..." target="_new">Link to pin 3:4 pin trick</A>

I should know this week if it works, not gonna test it on my 3.06 first, got a 1.6A on the way.

!