Bandwidth allocation for wireless devices

glockshna

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Hello,
I am trying to figure out a way to limit the bandwidth used by certain wireless devices on my network. The problem I'm having is of priority. For some reason when someone is watching Netflix on my laptop (wireless) no other device has any bandwith available to it, so while someone is watching Netflix my hard wired desktop can barely load Google.com much less do anything useful.
I understand that this is mostly an issue of my internet being really bad but I'm sure there's a way to set at least a minimum amount of bandwidth to be allocated to the hard wired desktop over wireless devices right? I looked into the QoS settings but it appears that's only for upstream which doesn't really help me much.

I'm using a Cisco ValetPlus M20 wireless N router.

I looked into possibly using this: http://www.dd-wrt.com company's firmware but wasn't able to find my router on the supported devices list so I'm not sure what other options I might have other than to just buy a better router the supports this or better handles distribution of available bandwidth.

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to a way of allocating at least a minimum amount of bandwidth to wired devices?