motorola v3 razr requires usb 2.0

Last response: in Brands
April 27, 2005 4:34:12 PM

For charging and data transfer, not only do you need the software
installed (mobile phonetools), you also need USB 2.0. Older computers
with USB 1.1 compliant hardware will not work. This is what motorola
tech support person told me was his experience. It has also been my
experience. If anyone disagrees I will be happy to be wrong.
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 10:01:08 PM

On 27 Apr 2005 12:34:12 -0700, "Spacey Spade" <spaceygum@hotpop.com>
wrote:

>For charging and data transfer, not only do you need the software
>installed (mobile phonetools), you also need USB 2.0. Older computers
>with USB 1.1 compliant hardware will not work. This is what motorola
>tech support person told me was his experience. It has also been my
>experience. If anyone disagrees I will be happy to be wrong.

USB 1 and/or 2 have always been backwards compatible for any device on
your PC. The only difference will be in the speed of the
connection/data transfer.
Anonymous
April 28, 2005 12:57:01 AM

I'll make you happy - you're wrong! Both my desktop PC and my laptop
have only USB 1.1 and the USB cables I use with my v3 will charge the
phone and allow full use of MPT. For cables, I use one that came with my
MP3 player and another retractable I bought on ebay. I don't know where
the tech got his info or why you've had trouble but it's just not true.

From:Spacey Spade
spaceygum@hotpop.com

> For charging and data transfer, not only do you need the software
> installed (mobile phonetools), you also need USB 2.0. Older computers
> with USB 1.1 compliant hardware will not work. This is what motorola
> tech support person told me was his experience. It has also been my
> experience. If anyone disagrees I will be happy to be wrong.
Related resources
April 28, 2005 3:36:59 AM

As with the other's, I'd have to disagree with that statement.

I've used my Razr V3 on my laptop which has USB 2.0 and on an older desktop
which only has USB 1.1.

However, it would be nice if it took advantage of the USB 2.0 data transfer
rates. Using MPT to copy 15 songs to my phone (total of 3.31mb), it took a
little over 8 minutes. That is downright pathetic for such a new piece of
technology.

"Spacey Spade" <spaceygum@hotpop.com> wrote in message
> For charging and data transfer, not only do you need the software
> installed (mobile phonetools), you also need USB 2.0. Older computers
> with USB 1.1 compliant hardware will not work. This is what motorola
> tech support person told me was his experience. It has also been my
> experience. If anyone disagrees I will be happy to be wrong.

Anonymous
May 1, 2005 2:28:17 AM

Thanks for all the responses. I managed to connect the phone to winXP,
but not to win98. My previous attempts at connecting to the XP machine
was with a USB cable I had for external laptop drive case, which has to
full size USB connectors on one end and a mini connector on the other.
When I got the new "normal" USB to mini-USB cable I only tried the
win98 system, then posted here in frustration.

Among my other troubles with the RAZR was that the Media Net (wap
access to web) didn't work. My plan includes pay-per-use internet
access, but the people at cingular didn't send a push signal (push
something) to activate the data portion of my service. This may have
something to do with my buying the phone from Buy.com. BTW, you will
not be able to keep your current phone number when purchasing from
amazon.com or buy.com:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/feature/-/508597/r...

One amazing thing that happened after I got the push signal:
My phone can charge from the win98 machine! (even though mobile
phonetools never sees the phone). Before I always got an "unable to
charge" message on the phone, or absolutely nothing. Coincidence?
Dunno.
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 5:00:05 PM

>One amazing thing that happened after I got the push signal:
>My phone can charge from the win98 machine! (even though mobile
>phonetools never sees the phone). Before I always got an "unable to
>charge" message on the phone, or absolutely nothing. Coincidence?
>Dunno.

Let me make this part clear: all with the correct cable...
before push signal: "unable to charge"
after push signal: "charging"
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 1:20:51 AM

Spacey Spade wrote:
> For charging and data transfer, not only do you need the software
> installed (mobile phonetools), you also need USB 2.0. Older computers
> with USB 1.1 compliant hardware will not work. This is what motorola
> tech support person told me was his experience. It has also been my
> experience. If anyone disagrees I will be happy to be wrong.

Ok, the final verdict is that USB 1.1 will work. Just not very well.
I doubt USB 2.0 would work better. The connection is flaky.

It may just be coincidence, but I tried a dozen times before getting a
data "push signal" from cingular without success, and after calling
tech support and having them say "oops, we forgot" the phone connected
for the first time.

One thing I have done since all this happened, when I once again had
Plug and Pray say my phone was an unknown usb device (Installing on yet
another xp machine) was to remove/uninstall the device in hardware
manager, then comment out any reference of "unknown usb" from usb.inf.
Either that did it or I manually selected the driver. At this point I
can't remember. All you have to know as a consumer is that connecting
the v3 to the computer for use with mobile phonetools does not always
go smooth, as you will find in countless other posts in the newsgroup.

If you are interested in hacking into your phone to control all options
and install software to make your phone more of a PDA, then I recommend
the "motorola hacker's bible". Do read all parts of it, even if they
don't apply to what you are trying to do. I guess it wasn't meant to
be a linear type troubleshooter.

So long cyber friends
!