motorola v3 razr requires usb 2.0

For charging and data transfer, not only do you need the software
installed (mobile phonetools), you also need USB 2.0. Older computers
with USB 1.1 compliant hardware will not work. This is what motorola
tech support person told me was his experience. It has also been my
experience. If anyone disagrees I will be happy to be wrong.
6 answers Last reply
More about motorola razr requires

    On 27 Apr 2005 12:34:12 -0700, "Spacey Spade" <spaceygum@hotpop.com>
    wrote:

    >For charging and data transfer, not only do you need the software
    >installed (mobile phonetools), you also need USB 2.0. Older computers
    >with USB 1.1 compliant hardware will not work. This is what motorola
    >tech support person told me was his experience. It has also been my
    >experience. If anyone disagrees I will be happy to be wrong.

    USB 1 and/or 2 have always been backwards compatible for any device on
    your PC. The only difference will be in the speed of the
    connection/data transfer.

    I'll make you happy - you're wrong! Both my desktop PC and my laptop
    have only USB 1.1 and the USB cables I use with my v3 will charge the
    phone and allow full use of MPT. For cables, I use one that came with my
    MP3 player and another retractable I bought on ebay. I don't know where
    the tech got his info or why you've had trouble but it's just not true.

    From:Spacey Spade
    spaceygum@hotpop.com

    > For charging and data transfer, not only do you need the software
    > installed (mobile phonetools), you also need USB 2.0. Older computers
    > with USB 1.1 compliant hardware will not work. This is what motorola
    > tech support person told me was his experience. It has also been my
    > experience. If anyone disagrees I will be happy to be wrong.

    As with the other's, I'd have to disagree with that statement.

    I've used my Razr V3 on my laptop which has USB 2.0 and on an older desktop
    which only has USB 1.1.

    However, it would be nice if it took advantage of the USB 2.0 data transfer
    rates. Using MPT to copy 15 songs to my phone (total of 3.31mb), it took a
    little over 8 minutes. That is downright pathetic for such a new piece of
    technology.

    "Spacey Spade" <spaceygum@hotpop.com> wrote in message
    > For charging and data transfer, not only do you need the software
    > installed (mobile phonetools), you also need USB 2.0. Older computers
    > with USB 1.1 compliant hardware will not work. This is what motorola
    > tech support person told me was his experience. It has also been my
    > experience. If anyone disagrees I will be happy to be wrong.

    Thanks for all the responses. I managed to connect the phone to winXP,
    but not to win98. My previous attempts at connecting to the XP machine
    was with a USB cable I had for external laptop drive case, which has to
    full size USB connectors on one end and a mini connector on the other.
    When I got the new "normal" USB to mini-USB cable I only tried the
    win98 system, then posted here in frustration.

    Among my other troubles with the RAZR was that the Media Net (wap
    access to web) didn't work. My plan includes pay-per-use internet
    access, but the people at cingular didn't send a push signal (push
    something) to activate the data portion of my service. This may have
    something to do with my buying the phone from Buy.com. BTW, you will
    not be able to keep your current phone number when purchasing from
    amazon.com or buy.com:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/feature/-/508597/ref=w_hp_tn_7/104-9974142-8292708#Cingular

    One amazing thing that happened after I got the push signal:
    My phone can charge from the win98 machine! (even though mobile
    phonetools never sees the phone). Before I always got an "unable to
    charge" message on the phone, or absolutely nothing. Coincidence?
    Dunno.

    >One amazing thing that happened after I got the push signal:
    >My phone can charge from the win98 machine! (even though mobile
    >phonetools never sees the phone). Before I always got an "unable to
    >charge" message on the phone, or absolutely nothing. Coincidence?
    >Dunno.

    Let me make this part clear: all with the correct cable...
    before push signal: "unable to charge"
    after push signal: "charging"

    Spacey Spade wrote:
    > For charging and data transfer, not only do you need the software
    > installed (mobile phonetools), you also need USB 2.0. Older computers
    > with USB 1.1 compliant hardware will not work. This is what motorola
    > tech support person told me was his experience. It has also been my
    > experience. If anyone disagrees I will be happy to be wrong.

    Ok, the final verdict is that USB 1.1 will work. Just not very well.
    I doubt USB 2.0 would work better. The connection is flaky.

    It may just be coincidence, but I tried a dozen times before getting a
    data "push signal" from cingular without success, and after calling
    tech support and having them say "oops, we forgot" the phone connected
    for the first time.

    One thing I have done since all this happened, when I once again had
    Plug and Pray say my phone was an unknown usb device (Installing on yet
    another xp machine) was to remove/uninstall the device in hardware
    manager, then comment out any reference of "unknown usb" from usb.inf.
    Either that did it or I manually selected the driver. At this point I
    can't remember. All you have to know as a consumer is that connecting
    the v3 to the computer for use with mobile phonetools does not always
    go smooth, as you will find in countless other posts in the newsgroup.

    If you are interested in hacking into your phone to control all options
    and install software to make your phone more of a PDA, then I recommend
    the "motorola hacker's bible". Do read all parts of it, even if they
    don't apply to what you are trying to do. I guess it wasn't meant to
    be a linear type troubleshooter.

    So long cyber friends

Motorola USB