Gejj

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2002
Well since i've upgraded my harddrive to NTFS i've been having a problem. It seems like almost every other day.. when i'm on late at nite (dont think that has anything to do with it) out of nowhere my screen will turn blue, like MSDOS blue. On the nice blue screen its saying something about dumping all physical memory to disk:#, and the number starts at 1 and raises 1 like every 3 seconds. Every time this happens i just panic and restart the machine because i dunno what its doing or why its doing it... just like spontaniously happens. Any ideas?? It has been doing this ever since i upgraded from Fat32 to ntfs...

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Its an 'ability' of win2k and winxp i think... there are hidden settings where you can turn it off.

If a crash happens (blue screen) it writes the contents of memory to a dump file to aid the debugging process.
Personally ive never used it, nor got much useful info out of dump files.

Xteq is a program that lets you fish around and change all your hidden settings, though it might be an idea trying to work out WHY you are getting the blue screens first.

Have u run the drives manufacturers tools for drive error detection?

<b><font color=purple>[Rik_]</font color=purple> I wonder how many people have made their own phasechange system?
<font color=blue>[LHGPooBaa]</font color=blue> I get phasechange whenever i eat a hot chillie :lol: </b>

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
in order to prevent this using windows xp go to
control panel-system-advanced-startup and recovery settings
and under write debugging information move the item in the menu bar to none. What it is doing is dumping everything in your ram into a file on your hard drive so it can be analyzed to determine what is causing windows to crash. I reccomend turning it off as it will most certainly be creating HUGE files which waste lots of space on your hard drive. Find out what is causing these crashes, if you cannot then reinstall windows. if that does not fix the problem you may want to format the hard drive and just start from scratch. you should be able to figure out what is causing the crashes tho, what program are you using when this happens?

smurf A- I saw you leave with smurfette
smurf B- oh man as soon as we got out of the bar she started smurfing me
smurf A- shut the smurf up
smurf A- right in the smurfing pariking lot?