V180 Data Transfer

Last response: in Brands
Share
April 28, 2005 4:18:07 AM

Hi all. Just got a V180 (smashing phone) and got home and tried a USB cable
for my Sony DV-Camcorder (it has a mini USB plug one end) and to my
amazement it fit the socket on the V180 - great I thought that would save me
buying a data cable.

Only thing is that it looks like it aint going to work because my Windows XP
don't recognise the phone as new hardware added when I plug in the usb cable
and Motorola mpt just keeps searching and don't recognise the phone.

Is there any setting I have to enable in the phone to turn on USB
connectivity (if there is I cannot find it!) or could it be that although
the Sony DVcam USB cable fits the Motorola V180 it is just not wired up
correctly.

What do ye all think?

More about : v180 data transfer

April 28, 2005 4:18:08 AM

"Andy" <andy@indigo.ie> wrote in message
news:D 4p6g5$kj$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
> Hi all. Just got a V180 (smashing phone) and got home and tried a USB
> cable
> for my Sony DV-Camcorder (it has a mini USB plug one end) and to my
> amazement it fit the socket on the V180 - great I thought that would save
> me
> buying a data cable.
>
> Only thing is that it looks like it aint going to work because my Windows
> XP
> don't recognise the phone as new hardware added when I plug in the usb
> cable
> and Motorola mpt just keeps searching and don't recognise the phone.
>
> Is there any setting I have to enable in the phone to turn on USB
> connectivity (if there is I cannot find it!) or could it be that although
> the Sony DVcam USB cable fits the Motorola V180 it is just not wired up
> correctly.
>
> What do ye all think?

I too recently started using the V180 and was surprised to find that the
same USB cable that is used on my GPS also works on the V180. So I went
searching for the appropriate driver & software. Here's what I did:

Downloaded the USB driver from here & installed:

http://motorolac.wz.cz/indexe.php?str=downloade

I found the following forum information at:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/141767

Go to here for the software:

http://coma.fsb.hr/motorola/files/Motorola.Mobile.Phone...

This works for the V180 and allows transferring pictures, ring tones and
synchronization.

You'll probably need to insall the correct archiving utitlity for the above.
It can be found at:

http://www.ultimatezip.com

This all worked fine for me and I'm running Windows XP Pro with SP2. Good
Luck.
April 28, 2005 6:51:58 AM

"qwerty" <nospam@all.noway.com> wrote in message

> "Andy" <andy@indigo.ie> wrote in message
> news:D 4p6g5$kj$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
> > Hi all. Just got a V180 (smashing phone) and got home and tried a USB
> > cable
> > for my Sony DV-Camcorder (it has a mini USB plug one end) and to my
> > amazement it fit the socket on the V180 - great I thought that would
save
> > me
> > buying a data cable.
> >
> > Only thing is that it looks like it aint going to work because my
Windows
> > XP
> > don't recognise the phone as new hardware added when I plug in the usb
> > cable
> > and Motorola mpt just keeps searching and don't recognise the phone.
> >
> > Is there any setting I have to enable in the phone to turn on USB
> > connectivity (if there is I cannot find it!) or could it be that
although
> > the Sony DVcam USB cable fits the Motorola V180 it is just not wired up
> > correctly.
> >
> > What do ye all think?
>
> I too recently started using the V180 and was surprised to find that the
> same USB cable that is used on my GPS also works on the V180. So I went
> searching for the appropriate driver & software. Here's what I did:
>

> Downloaded the USB driver from here & installed:
>
> http://motorolac.wz.cz/indexe.php?str=downloade
>
> I found the following forum information at:
>
> http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/141767
>
> Go to here for the software:

http://coma.fsb.hr/motorola/files/Motorola.Mobile.Phone...
tail.rar

> This works for the V180 and allows transferring pictures, ring tones and
> synchronization.
>
> You'll probably need to insall the correct archiving utitlity for the
above.
> It can be found at:
>
> http://www.ultimatezip.com
>

> This all worked fine for me and I'm running Windows XP Pro with SP2. Good
> Luck.

Thanks for that. The first driver was corrupt from that site but I managed
to find it from another site and download it. - My problem is that when I
plug in the USB Cable to the phone and then into the PC Windows itself does
not recognise that I have plugged a new USB device (i.e. the phone) and the
new hardware wizard don't come up and that is my problem here. I reckon its
because I am using a cable off a Sony DV camcorder and although it has the
right fittings I suppose its wired up differently and that's where the
problem lies.

Once I can get WinXP to recognise the phone then I can apply the proper
driver.
April 28, 2005 9:15:19 AM

Andy, The cable is fine. You don't want windows to recognize the phone.
If it does then you have to undo it in device manager or MPT won't work.
Here's what to do now. Go to Device Manager and get rid of any
references to the phone. Check Ports, Modems and USB devices.
Reboot. While rebooting remove the battery from the phone for 30
seconds.
Turn on the phone and plug the cable into the PC's USB port - NOT into
the phone yet.
Start Mobile Phone Tools. When it's running plug the cable into the
phone. Now you should be able to get it to work. If not, unplug and
replug the cable to the phone.

From:Andy
andy@indigo.ie

> "qwerty" <nospam@all.noway.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Andy" <andy@indigo.ie> wrote in message
>> news:D 4p6g5$kj$1@domitilla.aioe.org...
>>> Hi all. Just got a V180 (smashing phone) and got home and tried a
>>> USB cable
>>> for my Sony DV-Camcorder (it has a mini USB plug one end) and to my
>>> amazement it fit the socket on the V180 - great I thought that
>>> would save me
>>> buying a data cable.
>>>
>>> Only thing is that it looks like it aint going to work because my
>>> Windows XP
>>> don't recognise the phone as new hardware added when I plug in the
>>> usb cable
>>> and Motorola mpt just keeps searching and don't recognise the phone.
>>>
>>> Is there any setting I have to enable in the phone to turn on USB
>>> connectivity (if there is I cannot find it!) or could it be that
>>> although the Sony DVcam USB cable fits the Motorola V180 it is just
>>> not wired up correctly.
>>>
>>> What do ye all think?
>>
>> I too recently started using the V180 and was surprised to find that
>> the same USB cable that is used on my GPS also works on the V180.
>> So I went searching for the appropriate driver & software. Here's
>> what I did:
>>

>> Downloaded the USB driver from here & installed:
>>
>> http://motorolac.wz.cz/indexe.php?str=downloade
>>
>> I found the following forum information at:
>>
>> http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/141767
>>
>> Go to here for the software:
>>

> http://coma.fsb.hr/motorola/files/Motorola.Mobile.Phone...
> tail.rar
>>
>> This works for the V180 and allows transferring pictures, ring tones
>> and synchronization.
>>
>> You'll probably need to insall the correct archiving utitlity for
>> the above. It can be found at:
>>
>> http://www.ultimatezip.com
>>

>> This all worked fine for me and I'm running Windows XP Pro with SP2.
>> Good Luck.
>>

> Thanks for that. The first driver was corrupt from that site but I
> managed to find it from another site and download it. - My problem is
> that when I plug in the USB Cable to the phone and then into the PC
> Windows itself does not recognise that I have plugged a new USB
> device (i.e. the phone) and the new hardware wizard don't come up and
> that is my problem here. I reckon its because I am using a cable off
> a Sony DV camcorder and although it has the right fittings I suppose
> its wired up differently and that's where the problem lies.
>
> Once I can get WinXP to recognise the phone then I can apply the
> proper driver.
April 28, 2005 6:00:32 PM

Thanks for that. Success at last with that Sony cable. :-) what it was
though is that it windows wasn't recognising the phone at all when I plugged
in the phone to the USB cable. But then I decided to close down Windows,
turn off the PC and then turn it back on waited for Windows to start then
plugged in the phone to the cable then the USB into the PC and success! -
windows detected new hardware said it was a Motorola Phone then found the
drivers.

Then I started up MPT and it was searching for the phone. I had to then turn
off the phone (still connected by USB to PC) and then when I turned on the
phone the MPT came to life. The only problem is now that the V180 did not
show up in the list of compatible phones because I must have downloaded an
earlier version of MPT. when I find the right version of MPT with the V180
listed then all should work fine.

Thanks to everyone's help. - :-)

-----------------

"BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote in message
> Andy, The cable is fine. You don't want windows to recognize the phone.
> If it does then you have to undo it in device manager or MPT won't work.
> Here's what to do now. Go to Device Manager and get rid of any
> references to the phone. Check Ports, Modems and USB devices.
> Reboot. While rebooting remove the battery from the phone for 30
> seconds.
> Turn on the phone and plug the cable into the PC's USB port - NOT into
> the phone yet.
> Start Mobile Phone Tools. When it's running plug the cable into the
> phone. Now you should be able to get it to work. If not, unplug and
> replug the cable to the phone.
>

> From:Andy
> andy@indigo.ie
>
> > "qwerty" <nospam@all.noway.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> "Andy" <andy@indigo.ie> wrote in message
> >> news:D 4p6g5$kj$1@domitilla.aioe.org...

> >> I too recently started using the V180 and was surprised to find that
> >> the same USB cable that is used on my GPS also works on the V180.
> >> So I went searching for the appropriate driver & software. Here's
> >> what I did:
> >>

> >> Downloaded the USB driver from here & installed:
> >>
> >> http://motorolac.wz.cz/indexe.php?str=downloade
> >>
> >> I found the following forum information at:
> >>
> >> http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/141767
> >>
> >> Go to here for the software:

http://coma.fsb.hr/motorola/files/Motorola.Mobile.Phone...
> > tail.rar
> >>
> >> This works for the V180 and allows transferring pictures, ring tones
> >> and synchronization.
> >>
> >> You'll probably need to insall the correct archiving utitlity for
> >> the above. It can be found at:
> >>
> >> http://www.ultimatezip.com
> >>

> >> This all worked fine for me and I'm running Windows XP Pro with SP2.
> >> Good Luck.
> >>

> > Thanks for that. The first driver was corrupt from that site but I
> > managed to find it from another site and download it. - My problem is
> > that when I plug in the USB Cable to the phone and then into the PC
> > Windows itself does not recognise that I have plugged a new USB
> > device (i.e. the phone) and the new hardware wizard don't come up and
> > that is my problem here. I reckon its because I am using a cable off
> > a Sony DV camcorder and although it has the right fittings I suppose
> > its wired up differently and that's where the problem lies.
> >
> > Once I can get WinXP to recognise the phone then I can apply the
> > proper driver.

Anonymous
April 28, 2005 10:21:48 PM

Just run "Live Update" in MPT and it will update you to the latest
version. Depending on the age of the version you have you may have to
reboot a couple of times. Just run Live Update and follow the prompts
and you'll be up to date in a few minutes.

From:Andy
andy@indigo.ie

> Thanks for that. Success at last with that Sony cable. :-) what it was
> though is that it windows wasn't recognising the phone at all when I
> plugged in the phone to the USB cable. But then I decided to close
> down Windows, turn off the PC and then turn it back on waited for
> Windows to start then plugged in the phone to the cable then the USB
> into the PC and success! - windows detected new hardware said it was
> a Motorola Phone then found the drivers.
>
> Then I started up MPT and it was searching for the phone. I had to
> then turn off the phone (still connected by USB to PC) and then when
> I turned on the phone the MPT came to life. The only problem is now
> that the V180 did not show up in the list of compatible phones
> because I must have downloaded an earlier version of MPT. when I find
> the right version of MPT with the V180 listed then all should work
> fine.
>
> Thanks to everyone's help. - :-)

> -----------------
>

> "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote in message
>> Andy, The cable is fine. You don't want windows to recognize the
>> phone. If it does then you have to undo it in device manager or MPT
>> won't work. Here's what to do now. Go to Device Manager and get rid
>> of any references to the phone. Check Ports, Modems and USB devices.
>> Reboot. While rebooting remove the battery from the phone for 30
>> seconds.
>> Turn on the phone and plug the cable into the PC's USB port - NOT
>> into the phone yet.
>> Start Mobile Phone Tools. When it's running plug the cable into the
>> phone. Now you should be able to get it to work. If not, unplug and
>> replug the cable to the phone.
>>

>> From:Andy
>> andy@indigo.ie
>>
>>> "qwerty" <nospam@all.noway.com> wrote in message

> http://coma.fsb.hr/motorola/files/Motorola.Mobile.Phone...
>>> tail.rar

>>> Thanks for that. The first driver was corrupt from that site but I
>>> managed to find it from another site and download it. - My problem
>>> is that when I plug in the USB Cable to the phone and then into the
>>> PC Windows itself does not recognise that I have plugged a new USB
>>> device (i.e. the phone) and the new hardware wizard don't come up
>>> and that is my problem here. I reckon its because I am using a
>>> cable off a Sony DV camcorder and although it has the right
>>> fittings I suppose its wired up differently and that's where the
>>> problem lies.
>>>
>>> Once I can get WinXP to recognise the phone then I can apply the
>>> proper driver.
April 29, 2005 1:36:35 AM

> Just run "Live Update" in MPT and it will update you to the latest
> version. Depending on the age of the version you have you may have to
> reboot a couple of times. Just run Live Update and follow the prompts
> and you'll be up to date in a few minutes.

Thanks, shame I didn't realise that before because i downloaded the full
version again of MPT 3.11 all 27mb of it on my 56k Dial up connection and it
took ages (grrr, I wish I had BB!) - not only that but the first time I
tried downloading it I got to 90% and then the bloody thing cut off! -
hooked back up and it resumed but when download was complete the rar file
was corrupt! so I had to download it all again.

Anyway after Downloaded MPT everything seems to be working and its all
syncing up and copying pictures and sounds as well. All I have to master now
is trying to copy all the numbers/contacts from my SIM card all in one go to
the phone memory. I cannot see how to do that in MPT and cannot see how to
transfer all contacts off the SIM to the phone in one go.

Cannot seem to grasp how to download Java games and apps directly from PC to
phone using USB cable either but there must be a way.

-------------------------------

> From:Andy
> andy@indigo.ie
>
> > Thanks for that. Success at last with that Sony cable. :-) what it was
> > though is that it windows wasn't recognising the phone at all when I
> > plugged in the phone to the USB cable. But then I decided to close
> > down Windows, turn off the PC and then turn it back on waited for
> > Windows to start then plugged in the phone to the cable then the USB
> > into the PC and success! - windows detected new hardware said it was
> > a Motorola Phone then found the drivers.
> >
> > Then I started up MPT and it was searching for the phone. I had to
> > then turn off the phone (still connected by USB to PC) and then when
> > I turned on the phone the MPT came to life. The only problem is now
> > that the V180 did not show up in the list of compatible phones
> > because I must have downloaded an earlier version of MPT. when I find
> > the right version of MPT with the V180 listed then all should work
> > fine.
> >
> > Thanks to everyone's help. - :-)

> > -----------------
> >

> > "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote in message
> >> Andy, The cable is fine. You don't want windows to recognize the
> >> phone. If it does then you have to undo it in device manager or MPT
> >> won't work. Here's what to do now. Go to Device Manager and get rid
> >> of any references to the phone. Check Ports, Modems and USB devices.
> >> Reboot. While rebooting remove the battery from the phone for 30
> >> seconds.
> >> Turn on the phone and plug the cable into the PC's USB port - NOT
> >> into the phone yet.
> >> Start Mobile Phone Tools. When it's running plug the cable into the
> >> phone. Now you should be able to get it to work. If not, unplug and
> >> replug the cable to the phone.
> >>

> >> From:Andy
> >> andy@indigo.ie

http://coma.fsb.hr/motorola/files/Motorola.Mobile.Phone...

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 7:37:20 AM

You can do the games but you need a different set of software. See
www.howardforums.com for the instructions and software. If your phone
had Bluetooth that would be the easiest way.

From:Andy
andy@indigo.ie

> "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote in message
>> Just run "Live Update" in MPT and it will update you to the latest
>> version. Depending on the age of the version you have you may have to
>> reboot a couple of times. Just run Live Update and follow the prompts
>> and you'll be up to date in a few minutes.
>
> Thanks, shame I didn't realise that before because i downloaded the
> full version again of MPT 3.11 all 27mb of it on my 56k Dial up
> connection and it took ages (grrr, I wish I had BB!) - not only that
> but the first time I tried downloading it I got to 90% and then the
> bloody thing cut off! - hooked back up and it resumed but when
> download was complete the rar file was corrupt! so I had to download
> it all again.
>
> Anyway after Downloaded MPT everything seems to be working and its all
> syncing up and copying pictures and sounds as well. All I have to
> master now is trying to copy all the numbers/contacts from my SIM
> card all in one go to the phone memory. I cannot see how to do that
> in MPT and cannot see how to transfer all contacts off the SIM to the
> phone in one go.
>
> Cannot seem to grasp how to download Java games and apps directly
> from PC to phone using USB cable either but there must be a way.

> -------------------------------
>

>> From:Andy
>> andy@indigo.ie
>>
>>> Thanks for that. Success at last with that Sony cable. :-) what it
>>> was though is that it windows wasn't recognising the phone at all
>>> when I plugged in the phone to the USB cable. But then I decided to
>>> close down Windows, turn off the PC and then turn it back on waited
>>> for Windows to start then plugged in the phone to the cable then
>>> the USB into the PC and success! - windows detected new hardware
>>> said it was a Motorola Phone then found the drivers.
>>>
>>> Then I started up MPT and it was searching for the phone. I had to
>>> then turn off the phone (still connected by USB to PC) and then when
>>> I turned on the phone the MPT came to life. The only problem is now
>>> that the V180 did not show up in the list of compatible phones
>>> because I must have downloaded an earlier version of MPT. when I
>>> find the right version of MPT with the V180 listed then all should
>>> work fine.
>>>
>>> Thanks to everyone's help. - :-)

>>> -----------------
>>>

>>> "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote in message

> http://coma.fsb.hr/motorola/files/Motorola.Mobile.Phone...

Anonymous
April 29, 2005 9:02:44 AM

Even more
specific...http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=...
HoFo RulZ
> You can do the games but you need a different set of software. See
> www.howardforums.com for the instructions and software. If your phone
> had Bluetooth that would be the easiest way.
>
> From:Andy
> andy@indigo.ie
>
> > "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com> wrote in message
> >> Just run "Live Update" in MPT and it will update you to the latest
> >> version. Depending on the age of the version you have you may have to
> >> reboot a couple of times. Just run Live Update and follow the prompts
> >> and you'll be up to date in a few minutes.
> >
> > Thanks, shame I didn't realise that before because i downloaded the
> > full version again of MPT 3.11 all 27mb of it on my 56k Dial up
> > connection and it took ages (grrr, I wish I had BB!) - not only that
> > but the first time I tried downloading it I got to 90% and then the
> > bloody thing cut off! - hooked back up and it resumed but when
> > download was complete the rar file was corrupt! so I had to download
> > it all again.
> >
> > Anyway after Downloaded MPT everything seems to be working and its all
> > syncing up and copying pictures and sounds as well. All I have to
> > master now is trying to copy all the numbers/contacts from my SIM
> > card all in one go to the phone memory. I cannot see how to do that
> > in MPT and cannot see how to transfer all contacts off the SIM to the
> > phone in one go.
> >
> > Cannot seem to grasp how to download Java games and apps directly
> > from PC to phone using USB cable either but there must be a way.

> > -------------------------------
> >

> >> From:Andy
> >> andy@indigo.ie

-
> > --

http://coma.fsb.hr/motorola/files/Motorola.Mobile.Phone...

May 2, 2005 2:38:30 AM

I spent the whole of Saturday trying to get P2k to recognise my phone it
kept saying not connected and the same with P2ktools (in P2K mode) and it
was only when I exhausted everything (including changing drivers in the
drivers folder) and unloading and reloading the programs that I realised I
didn't load the patches/windows hotfix files did everything spring into
action with those programs. When I loaded those hotfixes then everything was
fine.

Those programs were great. I have changed quite a few settings on the V180.
Before, I wanted to get the date showing on the colour LCD display and there
was no setting in the V180 to display the date - after using one of the
programs (motokit 1.06 I think it was) I managed to remove the Network ID
and the date is there instead, just what I wanted and with P2ktools other
features mode I managed to get all the different flavours of the phones vibe
features and some other features.

One other feature I enabled on the V180 is a feature to play Video clip I
think although I don't have a video clip to try it out (I think its got to
be mp4 isn't it?) although I would say the phone hasn't got enough memory to
play a clip.

So to recap, if people are having trouble going into P2K mode on the
software (and it sounds like a lot of people have had that problem) try
adding the windows hotfix patches and then see if you can connect your phone
then.

!