Solved

How much should I spend on a router?

Very slowly I've started adding more wireless devices to my network (started with my dad's computer, have now added a Wii U and laptop) and my 4-5 year Netgear simply isn't keeping up, or maybe even on its last legs. I'm a complete novice when it comes to networking and various "features" that I would want when choosing a router. I do a fare amount of torrenting on a day-to-day basis, and sometimes play Street Fighter online (input latency is extremely important). Here's a list of devices and their location within my home:

PC (wired, some online gaming, torrenting, web browsing, netflix)
Laptop (wireless, web browsing, netflix)
Wii U (wireless, netflix)
2nd computer (wireless, roughly two rooms down, used for netflix and web browsing)

I would prefer not to spend over $100, but if I can get something much better by bumping up my budget, I can be convinced.

Thanks!
3 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about spend router
  1. Best answer
    It also depends on what type of adapters your other equipment has. If you have old G stuff then you most likely will get little benefit to replacing the router.

I would spend $50-$75 on a midgrade dual band router. The I would use your old router as a AP and run the G stuff on that one. You could spend the extra between the $75 and $100 getting adapters for the other machines if needed.

I normally stay away with particular recommendation because the vendors change things so that a good router today could be crap tomorrow. The router I like today in your price range is the ASUS RT-53. It has pretty advanced software and if you don't like it you can load dd-wrt on it. Be careful look for routers that say 300-300 or 150-150. This means it has 2 radios. may not matter though if you do not plan to use 5g band.
  2. Best answer selected by mune87.
  3. Thanks for the quick and informative reply! Newegg has it at $48 after a rebate, and reviewers with similar setups to mine are thrilled with it.

All the devices in my home should be 801.11n (Wii U, dad's computer, laptop), so no worries there.
Ask a new question

Read More

Routers Wireless Networking