Best Wireless card for desktop??

jojomexi

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
Hello!

I recently purchased a gaming rig that I will be putting together, and included in the hardware, I purchased a gigabyte z77x i5 3570k motherboard. I will be using this primarily as a wireless gaming desktop. Although I know a fair share about computer hardware, I lack a bit in this department.

Is there a network card I can get that would support both LAN as well as wifi access? If so what do you all recommend? Low latency, high performance is key, price doesnt matter as long as im paying for better performance.

Also, although not directly related, would this motherboard support bluetooth internally, or how would that work to apply bluetooth capabilities? I am trying to keep USB usage to a minimum so i can utilize those for other wireless peripherals.

Thanks!

Solution
the thing about wireless network cards is that, if you have speed issues, you might have to experiment with drivers from first the manufacturer and if that does not help the wireless chipset maker.

you can also use different antennas to increase the signal strength if necessary.

here is on that a friend just bought and it improved his connection speed. just make sure you have a PCIe slot available because sometimes they are covered if you have a dual slot video card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166076
I don't think neither of the 7 different gigabyte z77x motherboards supports Bluetooth natively.

you would use a Bluetooth to USB converter

http://www.newegg.com/Network-Bluetooth/SubCategory/ID-295?Tpk=bluetooth%20adapter

not quite sure what the USB connection have to do with the wireless peripherals since wireless devices will usually connect to the wireless router wirelessly and not via USB to your computer.

you mother board has a LAN network card build in which will be you best option for gaming since wireless has more latency. There is no combo card (LAN and Wifi) that I am aware of.

Also Windows will only use either LAN or Wifi to connect to the internet and not both.

And don't let anybody try to sell you a gaming wifi card, it is the biggest BS and cost a lot of money. A $25 N300 wifi card should work as well as a $70 N300 one.

jojomexi

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
sweet deal, thanks very much! i will look into that bluetooth adapter! looks very compact. As long as they do the job with very efficient latency, then thats all that matters :D. i dont think my roommates will like me trailing a 60 foot ethernet from my room to the modem though :O!!

the thing about wireless network cards is that, if you have speed issues, you might have to experiment with drivers from first the manufacturer and if that does not help the wireless chipset maker.

you can also use different antennas to increase the signal strength if necessary.

here is on that a friend just bought and it improved his connection speed. just make sure you have a PCIe slot available because sometimes they are covered if you have a dual slot video card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166076

Solution