110V to 220V transformers

Last response: in Home Audio
December 12, 2004 9:25:18 PM

hi group,
i'm in Europe (220V-50Hz) and want to use a few units that run on 110V-60Hz.
how can i do this the best? units won't run more then 200-300Watts in total.
i know there are a few transformers on the market but where can i buy them?
i'm looking for as small as possible in size. how do the transfo's change 50
to 60Hz? using a transfo on this equipment (for recording) will this have
effect somewhere down the audio-routing?
can somthing like a furman do this or do they have a unit that does it?
thanks in advance

More about : 110v 220v transformers

Anonymous
December 12, 2004 9:25:19 PM

"_The Dude_" <joni_hicks@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> hi group,
> i'm in Europe (220V-50Hz) and want to use a few units that run on
110V-60Hz.
> how can i do this the best? units won't run more then 200-300Watts in
total.
> i know there are a few transformers on the market but where can i buy
them?
> i'm looking for as small as possible in size. how do the transfo's change
50
> to 60Hz?

They don't.

> using a transfo on this equipment (for recording) will this have
> effect somewhere down the audio-routing?>>

Probably not.

Most of the time, you won't have a problem using equipment designed for 60Hz
on 50Hz, provided you change the voltage appropriately. Equipment with
motors, however, will often have problems, if it uses a synchronous AC
motor.

Check your manual.

Peace,
Paul
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 9:25:19 PM

There is a transformer calculator you can use at
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Patric...

If you are in the south east of England TLC also sell transformers eg
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SC5300.html

or www.maplin.co.uk

If you require >700W capacity then it is probably cheaper to buy a
building site transformer such as
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SDTR750slash1.html

and use a US multi-outlet power strip fitted with a yellow industrial
plug (shown on the above page).

Strictly speaking the building site transformers give 55-0-55V rather
than 0-110V.

Owain
December 12, 2004 10:36:30 PM

Firstly, the title of your post is backwards; it should read "220V to
110V transformers."

Secondly, the 110v output will be at 50Hz, but it probably will make
no difference.

Thirdly, if you want the units to be as small as possible, buy one
with a watt rating no higher than 300W. Turn the transformer off
whenever you turn the equipment off.

Norm Strong

"_The Dude_" <joni_hicks@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> hi group,
> i'm in Europe (220V-50Hz) and want to use a few units that run on
110V-60Hz.
> how can i do this the best? units won't run more then 200-300Watts
in total.
> i know there are a few transformers on the market but where can i
buy them?
> i'm looking for as small as possible in size. how do the transfo's
change 50
> to 60Hz? using a transfo on this equipment (for recording) will this
have
> effect somewhere down the audio-routing?
> can somthing like a furman do this or do they have a unit that does
it?
> thanks in advance

December 13, 2004 12:44:46 AM

_The Dude_ wrote:
> i'm in Europe (220V-50Hz) and want to use a few units that run on 110V-60Hz.

Check out
<http://www.netzgeraet.de/spannungswandler_wandler_230va...;.

Johann
--
Eigentlich hast Du ein Verstaendnis ueber Plonken, welches mich auch als
Real-FAQ ueberhaupt nicht interessiert wuerde. Who cares?

thanks all for the info!

<spuorgelgoog@gowanhill.com> schreef in bericht
> There is a transformer calculator you can use at

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Patric...

> If you are in the south east of England TLC also sell transformers eg
> http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SC5300.html
>
> or www.maplin.co.uk
>
> If you require >700W capacity then it is probably cheaper to buy a
> building site transformer such as
> http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SDTR750slash1.html
>
> and use a US multi-outlet power strip fitted with a yellow industrial
> plug (shown on the above page).
>
> Strictly speaking the building site transformers give 55-0-55V rather
> than 0-110V.
>
> Owain

Anonymous
December 13, 2004 12:46:05 PM

In article <41bc7f02$0$13478$ba620e4c@news.skynet.be>,
_The Dude_ <joni_hicks@hotmail.com> wrote:
>hi group,
>i'm in Europe (220V-50Hz) and want to use a few units that run on 110V-60Hz.
>how can i do this the best? units won't run more then 200-300Watts in total.
>i know there are a few transformers on the market but where can i buy them?
>i'm looking for as small as possible in size.

No, you want as large as possible in size. DO NOT undersize any of this
stuff, because it will result in noise problems. Go with a heavily oversized
isolation transformer type, NOT an autotransformer.

In Belgium, I don't know offhand where to get one since the local hardware
store probably has only the autotransformer type. I know you can order from
Buerklin in Germany, though.

>how do the transfo's change 50
>to 60Hz?

They don't. This means that if you have equipment with synchronous motors
(many older tape machines, turntables, etc), you will have to make mechanical
changes to pulleys, flywheels, or motors in order to make them run on speed.

>using a transfo on this equipment (for recording) will this have
>effect somewhere down the audio-routing?
>can somthing like a furman do this or do they have a unit that does it?

Furman might, but why pay that kind of money when you just need a
transformer?
--scott
December 13, 2004 9:56:42 PM

<< i know there are a few transformers on the market but where can i buy
them?>>

Any store that sells electronics to tourists or foreigners. They're very
inexpensive now.

<<how do the transfo's change 50
to 60Hz? >>

They don't. It's not an issue unless you have some ancient piece that actually
uses line frequency for speed reference. Some turntables do.

<<using a transfo on this equipment (for recording) will this have
effect somewhere down the audio-routing?>>

No problem. I record with North American mains voltage equipment in Europe all
the time. No problem.

Scott Fraser
!