Help....need a new 12 string acoustic

Last response: in Home Audio
December 12, 2004 9:17:23 PM

Dear all,
I had my 12 string acoustic stolen. It was a 1980 Daion Mugen and was
beautiful.

Unfortunately, I am a bit stuck as to what to look for now. The Tanglewoods
and Takamines look nice, the Taylors look like heaven.

I am a heavy strummer and a heavy finger-picker on folk/appalachian/country
style music. I ma used to good bass with nice jangly trebles.

Any advice as to what I should get for under £500?

Many thanks in advance.

Jim (praying for Santa to come!)

More about : string acoustic

Anonymous
December 12, 2004 9:17:24 PM

In article <TW%ud.14734$Cp4.12156@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
"Weatherman" <Mrs. Henry@spamblock.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
> I had my 12 string acoustic stolen. It was a 1980 Daion Mugen and was
> beautiful.
>
> Unfortunately, I am a bit stuck as to what to look for now. The Tanglewoods
> and Takamines look nice, the Taylors look like heaven.
>
> I am a heavy strummer and a heavy finger-picker on folk/appalachian/country
> style music. I ma used to good bass with nice jangly trebles.
>
> Any advice as to what I should get for under £500?

See if you can find a used rosewood Guild.
Anonymous
December 12, 2004 9:33:35 PM

Weatherman wrote:
> Dear all,
> I had my 12 string acoustic stolen. It was a 1980 Daion Mugen and was
> beautiful.
>
> Unfortunately, I am a bit stuck as to what to look for now. The Tanglewoods
> and Takamines look nice, the Taylors look like heaven.
>
> I am a heavy strummer and a heavy finger-picker on folk/appalachian/country
> style music. I ma used to good bass with nice jangly trebles.
>
> Any advice as to what I should get for under £500?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Jim (praying for Santa to come!)

find a used Rainsong your tuning nightmare will be over
you tune it ONCE when you string it and it stays in tune
George
December 12, 2004 9:33:42 PM

Forget the budget and go for a Santa Cruz F series 12 string. 3,000 to 4,000
Us dollars.

http://www.santacruzguitar.com/

Bob

"Weatherman" <Mrs. Henry@spamblock.com> wrote in message
> Dear all,
> I had my 12 string acoustic stolen. It was a 1980 Daion Mugen and was
> beautiful.
>
> Unfortunately, I am a bit stuck as to what to look for now. The
Tanglewoods
> and Takamines look nice, the Taylors look like heaven.
>
> I am a heavy strummer and a heavy finger-picker on
folk/appalachian/country
> style music. I ma used to good bass with nice jangly trebles.
>
> Any advice as to what I should get for under £500?
>
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Jim (praying for Santa to come!)

Anonymous
December 12, 2004 9:50:00 PM

sycochkn wrote:

> Forget the budget and go for a Santa Cruz F series 12 string. 3,000 to 4,000
> Us dollars.

> http://www.santacruzguitar.com/

Naw, multiply that by some factor and be patient, like willing to wait a
few years, and order a McCollum.

(I am an unpaid shill for McCollum. My guitar makes me do it.)

--
ha
Anonymous

A D212 would not hurt my feelings. I saw one the other day I just did not
have the money at the time.

Bob

"Hannibul Artese" <waxurcarot@normendy.com> wrote in message
> In article <TW%ud.14734$Cp4.12156@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
> "Weatherman" <Mrs. Henry@spamblock.com> wrote:
>
> > Dear all,
> > I had my 12 string acoustic stolen. It was a 1980 Daion Mugen and was
> > beautiful.
> >
> > Unfortunately, I am a bit stuck as to what to look for now. The
Tanglewoods
> > and Takamines look nice, the Taylors look like heaven.
> >
> > I am a heavy strummer and a heavy finger-picker on
folk/appalachian/country
> > style music. I ma used to good bass with nice jangly trebles.
> >
> > Any advice as to what I should get for under £500?
>
> See if you can find a used rosewood Guild.
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 8:44:16 AM

On 2004-12-12, Weatherman <> wrote:

> Unfortunately, I am a bit stuck as to what to look for now. The Tanglewoods
> and Takamines look nice, the Taylors look like heaven.

Larrivee!
December 13, 2004 8:10:21 PM

As a frequent visitor to Elderly Instruments, I can tell you that
the brand/model means didley (provided it's a decent guitar to begin
with). You have to hear ea. instrument. Hear it from front and back
(have a friend play it so you can get out in front).
I've sampled countless Taylors, Martins, Gibsons, Collins, etc.
Sometimes the best sounding one in a class IS the $7000 instrument.
Sometimes it's the $700. If you find a $700 one that sounds great,
buy it.

"Weatherman" <Mrs. Henry@spamblock.com> writes:
>Dear all,
>I had my 12 string acoustic stolen. It was a 1980 Daion Mugen and was
>beautiful.

>Unfortunately, I am a bit stuck as to what to look for now. The Tanglewoods
>and Takamines look nice, the Taylors look like heaven.

>I am a heavy strummer and a heavy finger-picker on folk/appalachian/country
>style music. I ma used to good bass with nice jangly trebles.

>Any advice as to what I should get for under £500?

>Many thanks in advance.

>Jim (praying for Santa to come!)
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 10:12:07 PM

<< The Tanglewoods
and Takamines look nice, the Taylors look like heaven.>>

Unfortunately, those that look nice don't always sound nice or play worth a
damn (witness any recent Gibson or Martin, IMO.) You might try looking up a
used Guild. Not overly pricey, maybe not ever top of the class, but they record
very well. Quite underrated in my estimation.
(BTW, I've never heard a Takamine in my studio that I thought sounded great, &
quite a few of the lesser Taylors have turned out to sound very good into
microphones.)

Scott Fraser
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 10:12:08 PM

"ScotFraser" <scotfraser@aol.com> wrote in message
> << The Tanglewoods
> and Takamines look nice, the Taylors look like heaven.>>
>
> Unfortunately, those that look nice don't always sound nice or play worth
> damn (witness any recent Gibson or Martin, IMO.) You might try looking up
> used Guild. Not overly pricey, maybe not ever top of the class, but they
record
> very well. Quite underrated in my estimation.
> (BTW, I've never heard a Takamine in my studio that I thought sounded
great, &
> quite a few of the lesser Taylors have turned out to sound very good into
> microphones.)
>
> Scott Fraser

Taylor gets a bad rap but some of their 12s are very very nice.
--

Merry!
http://tinyurl.com/62z86

GtrPaul wrote:
> I've got a Taylor maple 612 spruce top.
> piezo + sunrise.great guitar. email off group please to discuss sale.
> Paul
> GtrPaul@aol.com

If you can find one over there, try a Maton CW80/12.
John Cafarella
EOR Studio
Melbourne Australia
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 11:23:27 PM

ScotFraser wrote:

> Unfortunately, those that look nice don't always sound nice or play worth
> a damn (witness any recent Gibson or Martin, IMO.) You might try looking
> up a used Guild. Not overly pricey, maybe not ever top of the class, but
> they record very well. Quite underrated in my estimation. (BTW, I've never
> heard a Takamine in my studio that I thought sounded great, & quite a few
> of the lesser Taylors have turned out to sound very good into
> microphones.)

I interject that the dreadnaught stype Guild 12's I've met have been
tasty, and the superjumbo styles have been muddier than a monsoon
trailer park.

--
ha
Anonymous

I've got a Taylor maple 612 spruce top.
piezo + sunrise.great guitar. email off group please to discuss sale.
Paul
GtrPaul@aol.com
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 12:10:22 AM

james of tucson wrote:
> On 2004-12-12, Weatherman <> wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately, I am a bit stuck as to what to look for now. The
Tanglewoods
> > and Takamines look nice, the Taylors look like heaven.
>
> Larrivee!

I'll second the Larrivee for a fine 12-string that's not in the
stratosphere pricewise. I've owned a really nice Taylor 555, but my
friend's Larrivees puts them to shame. Check 'em out.

Dave
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 10:53:02 AM

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 14:16:43 -0500, Hannibul Artese wrote
(in article <waxurcarot-DCC593.14164312122004@comcast.dca.giganews.com>):

> In article <TW%ud.14734$Cp4.12156@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk>,
> "Weatherman" <Mrs. Henry@spamblock.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>> I had my 12 string acoustic stolen. It was a 1980 Daion Mugen and was
>> beautiful.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I am a bit stuck as to what to look for now. The Tanglewoods
>> and Takamines look nice, the Taylors look like heaven.
>>
>> I am a heavy strummer and a heavy finger-picker on folk/appalachian/country
>> style music. I ma used to good bass with nice jangly trebles.
>>
>> Any advice as to what I should get for under £500?
>
> See if you can find a used rosewood Guild.

Or, for something completely different, try a pre-Harmony Stella 12.
Check out Stellaguitars.com

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 2:37:15 PM

In article <teKdnbDyZdWzfyPcRVn-gQ@comcast.com> tyreeford@comcast.net writes:

> Or, for something completely different, try a pre-Harmony Stella 12.
> Check out Stellaguitars.com

Are there any of those still available? I remember that they, at least
the good Lead Belly sounding ones, were rare back in the '60's when I
was looking for one. I have a Holzapfel 12-string, made in Baltimore
by Baltimorons. It was one of a special order of 100 that he made for
the Mummers one year when they decided that they wanted to play twelve
string guitars in their Thanksgiving (or is it Christmas) parade
instead of banjos. But apparently they never picked up the guitars.

December 14, 2004 7:58:28 PM

<< > Or, for something completely different, try a pre-Harmony Stella 12.
> Check out Stellaguitars.com

Are there any of those still available? I remember that they, at least
the good Lead Belly sounding ones, were rare back in the '60's when I
was looking for one. >>

I believe they were rare even in Leadbelly's day. His Stella currently resides
in the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame in Cleveland. Tune down to C for the authentic
Leadbelly sound.
Scott Fraser
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 7:58:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.pro,rec.music.makers.guitar.acoustic (More info?)

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 11:58:28 -0500, ScotFraser wrote
(in article <20041214115828.21623.00001707@mb-m12.aol.com>):

> << > Or, for something completely different, try a pre-Harmony Stella 12.
>> Check out Stellaguitars.com
>
> Are there any of those still available? I remember that they, at least
> the good Lead Belly sounding ones, were rare back in the '60's when I
> was looking for one. >>

> I believe they were rare even in Leadbelly's day. His Stella currently
resides
> in the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame in Cleveland. Tune down to C for the
authentic
> Leadbelly sound.
> Scott Fraser

Yes they are available, in limited supply. The book Neil sells gives the
history of Stella and other guitars and people peripheral to Stella before
harmony took them over.

There's a companion CD on which Neil plays about twenty different Stellae.
The book has pictures of which guitar was used to play which piece.
Some are funky, some are amazing. All have pretty light gauge strings and I
think Neil tuned them down a bit.

The book makes a nice gift for any finger picking guitar person.

Regards,

Ty Ford

stuff are at www.tyford.com
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 7:59:31 PM

<< and the superjumbo styles have been muddier than a monsoon
trailer park. >>

I thought we had agreed to only say nice things about Harvey's studio.

Scott Fraser
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 8:03:28 PM

Ty Ford wrote:

> Hannibul Artese wrote:

> > "Weatherman" wrote:

> >> I had my 12 string acoustic stolen. It was a 1980 Daion Mugen and was
> >> beautiful.

> > See if you can find a used rosewood Guild.

> Or, for something completely different, try a pre-Harmony Stella 12.
> Check out Stellaguitars.com

Good call, and I've also seen some Harmony Sovereign 12's that rocked. I
don't care for the Superjumbo style rosewood Guilds as I find them
extremely muddy and boomy, but I do like the dreadnaught style models,
especially the pear wood models.

--
ha
Anonymous

In article <1gos0xo.1c8tlu0qyo6ioN%walkinay@thegrid.net> walkinay@thegrid.net writes:

> Good call, and I've also seen some Harmony Sovereign 12's that rocked. I
> don't care for the Superjumbo style rosewood Guilds as I find them
> extremely muddy and boomy, but I do like the dreadnaught style models,
> especially the pear wood models.

There are basically two kinds of 12-string sound (not including Roger
McGuinn's) - the tinkly kind and the ballsy kind. Gibson made on for a
while in the '60's that was on a jumbo body and had a tailpiece. Ian
Tyson played one and got a pretty good Leadbelly ballsy sound out of
it. Don't see many of those, either.

December 15, 2004 3:46:10 AM

Many many thanks for the opinions, everyone! Certainly given me food for
thought.

Have a peaceful and musical Christmas.
Best wishes
Jim

"DaveBro" <davebro@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> james of tucson wrote:
>> On 2004-12-12, Weatherman <> wrote:
>>
>> > Unfortunately, I am a bit stuck as to what to look for now. The
> Tanglewoods
>> > and Takamines look nice, the Taylors look like heaven.
>>
>> Larrivee!
>
> I'll second the Larrivee for a fine 12-string that's not in the
> stratosphere pricewise. I've owned a really nice Taylor 555, but my
> friend's Larrivees puts them to shame. Check 'em out.
>
> Dave

Anonymous
December 15, 2004 6:28:46 PM

ScotFraser <scotfraser@aol.com> wrote:

> << and the superjumbo styles have been muddier than a monsoon
> trailer park. >>

> I thought we had agreed to only say nice things about Harvey's studio.

1. Harvey's wonderful studio only _looks_ like a limited residence
trailer park. (An Augsberger trailer park?)

2. Harvey won't hold this against me because soon he won't remember I
said it. Neither will I.

--
ha
Anonymous

<< 1. Harvey's wonderful studio only _looks_ like a limited residence
trailer park. (An Augsberger trailer park?)>>

Airstream Audio Associates?

<<2. Harvey won't hold this against me because soon he won't remember I
said it. Neither will I. >>

I find the Alzheimer's is helping me to forget a lot of unwanted youthful
memories.

Scott Fraser
!