RT-N53 5Ghz radio gone after firmware update

Tags:
  • Routers
  • Firmware
  • Radio
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
January 14, 2013 1:35:21 AM

I have been using the Asus RT-n53 for about a year now and had little to no problems with it. Lately, my wife's iPhone has been dropping its connection to the RT-n53. It was probably a problem with her piece of apple crap, but I thought I would update the firmware on the RT-n53. I found that my firmware was way out of date, so I updated to the latest version.

With the newest firmware installed, I can no longer detect the 5Ghz band with my PlayBook. Before the update, all of the other devices in the house were not 5Ghz capable, so my PlayBook was the only device that used the 5Ghz radio on the RT-n53. Now, the SSID for the 5Ghz band just isn't there any more. In the configuration settings for the RT-n53, everything points to "it should be working"... 5Ghz radio is enabled, SSID broadcast is enabled. I have tried changing the wireless mode from "N Only" to "Auto" to "Legacy". I have fiddled with channel settings, encryption settings, etc. Even tried changing the SSID a few times. Multiple reboot, and still, the 5Ghz SSID just doesn't appear on any devices.

Any hints?

More about : n53 5ghz radio firmware update

February 18, 2013 6:58:36 PM

I have the same exact router. With the same problem. I used to use my 5gh network I updated the firmware and now I can no longer see it no matter what settings I use on the configuration page.
m
l
February 18, 2013 7:18:08 PM

So the only thing i didn't try after the firmware upgrade was to hold down the RESET button on the bottom of the router for 5 seconds after the firmware upgrade. But I did this today and my 5ghz network appeared again. Good luck
m
l
April 18, 2013 11:17:50 AM

rtm125 said:
So the only thing i didn't try after the firmware upgrade was to hold down the RESET button on the bottom of the router for 5 seconds after the firmware upgrade. But I did this today and my 5ghz network appeared again. Good luck

Thanks for that tip. I also lost the 5GHz signal after upgrading the firmware to 3.0.0.4.264. The reset button brought it back.

m
l
!