kmogg

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
Will build a new rig with 2 IDE channels on Mobo.
80 or 120 WD Jumbo, Lite on 16xDVD and Lite on 48X CDRW.
( Will add separate SATA RAID 0 in about 4 months and may add DVD writer in a year or so).

channel 1: HD as master
DVD slave

Channel 2: CDRW Master

Is this optimal?

From other threads, seems optical drives on separate channels good for disc to disc copies.
But one thread mentioned that the slower optical drive could slow down the faster HD if it is on the same channel. Don't quite get how that would be if the optical is in the slave position.

Do I want the opticals on the same controller?

Thanks for any advice.

Kevin Mogg

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
Personally i would put the HDD alone as primary master, then have the two optical drives together on the secondary channel.

Get better HDD performance and avoids any hdd/optical drive issues it might have.

P.S. Ive had two very fast optical drives on the same channel and have been able to do flawless optical-> optical transfers many times.

<b><font color=purple>[Rik_]</font color=purple> I wonder how many people have made their own phasechange system?
<font color=blue>[LHGPooBaa]</font color=blue> I get phasechange whenever i eat a hot chillie :lol: </b>

kmogg

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
Any preference as to whether the DVD or CDRW goes in Master position? How much of a hit do you take sharing a channel with HD and optical?
Were your fast opticals close to todays speeds? (48x).

Thanks for the advice. I guess I can just start with the opticals on the same channel and modify if necessary.

Kevin

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
hmmm. not really. Ive allways had the DVD as the master in those situations, with good sucess. If a config doesnt work or gives you problems its easy enough to swap the jumpers on both drives.
Mostly i keep HDD's by themselves to maximise their performance in everyday tasks, and to avoid any confilicts as HDD's and optical drives use slightly different interfaces, ATA and ATAPI respectivly.

<b><font color=purple>[Rik_]</font color=purple> I wonder how many people have made their own phasechange system?
<font color=blue>[LHGPooBaa]</font color=blue> I get phasechange whenever i eat a hot chillie :lol: </b>

kmogg

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
Thanks for all your help. I will try putting the opticals together. Sounds like if I ever get a DVD RW to add in the mix, I can try it, but it might be problematic. Makes some of the newer boards with the onboard ATA RAID look attractive just to get extra channels for devices.( The Intel Blue Mountain board I am looking at only has SATA RAID and no extra IDE channels I can use).

Kevin