Intermittant Connection

quad777

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Hi Guys, could you please assist on the following problem.

I have approxmiately 8pcs that are connected to a D-link(NEW) unmanaged switch which is then connected to a 4 port router(think its netgear) which provides internet access to all our pcs. Internet is vital as our business applications run online. The problem that i am experiencing is that just 1 out of the 8 pcs simply refuses to work on the network. It used to connect now then and lately it just refuses to connect. So here is what i did to troubleshoot the issue.
1. Connected a test pc to the point where the 1 pc was not working... Test pc connecting and working fine.
2. Tested network cable with cable tester......Cable is working fine.
3. Connected problem pc directly to the router and then directly to the switch....worked perfectly on both.
4. Installed new network card with updated drivers....pc still not working at its point.

So basically i put in the D-link switch and a new network card(thinking that this was the problems) with no positive result, only thing to do now is to change the cable(current is CAT 5e approx 45meters long from router to network point). not sure if this will make a difference as i have tested it and it works fine.

Please Help
Thanks

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
Have you checked the TCP/IP settings of that computer? It could be that you have static settings enabled, allowing the computer to only work some of the time, whenever its issued a dynamic IP that's coincidently the same as the static settings. It's kind of a stretch, but...