ASUS RT-N56U connection issues

jhoffy22

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Hello,

I am completely stumped. I am trying to connect my laptop (Lenovo B570, Windows 8 64bit, Broadcom 802.11n wireless adapter) to my brand new dual band ASUS RT-N56U router (2.4ghz and 5ghz, respectively).

Every other device in my house will connect to the 5ghz band (HP touchpad, Samsung Galaxy SIII, Dell XPS) but my brand new xbox 360 and my Lenovo B570 will only connect to the 2.4GHz band. Both of these devices are brand new within the last year, so it doesn't make sense that it wouldn't connect to the 5GHz band. A google search doesn't turn up any information about the Lenovo or brand new xbox 360 not being able to connect to a 5ghz band.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Also, we have 6mbpsDL/0.5mbpsUP and speedtest is now showing me at only 1.5mbpsDL for my Lenovo. Every other device in my house maxes out at 6mbps, which is what the cable provider provides us with.

The Lenovo built-in adapter is not dual band. If it were they'd be touting it in the specs. I don't believe that any XBox has ever been dual band. As far as the speeds go, you may be experiencing interference from other access points on the same channel, cordless phones, or even microwave ovens (all operate in the 2.4GHz band). In North America of the 11 available channels, only 3 do not overlap with any others (1, 6, 11). Virtually everything sold is defaulted to channel 6 (instant conflicts). Try channel 1 or 11. If you want to see who else is broadcasting you can use inSSIDer ( http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ )

jhoffy22

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009

Prior to updating to the ASUS RT-N56U, we had a standard Lynksys WRT54gV2 which was just a standard 2.4GHz, single band router. All speeds were constant on all devices at 6mbps/0.5mbps. Now with the new router, all devices that are on the 5GHz band are still getting the above mentioned speeds, but the two devices that are on the 2.4GHz band are only getting 1.5MBPS DL and .5UP. This doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Why would my speeds be so low on the 2.4GHz band? This is with or without having switched to channels 1 and 11. Does the Broadcom 802.11n not support 5GHz?

jhoffy22

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009

I did read your post. I responded saying that there are no devices that could be interfering with the 2.4GHz signal. This makes 0 sense to me! I tested out the 2.4GHz band on another computer and it gets the 6MPBs download speeds that it's supposed to get, it's only my computer that is not getting them. I even tried refreshing" Windows 8 which basically flashes you back to stock with all setting set to default. Same thing, very very slow internet. Started over at scratch too with the Asus router by resetting it.

jhoffy22

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009

If I connect via Cat5 directly to the router, it works just fine as it should. It's only when I connect wirelessly. This computer worked just fine yesterday with my old router. It's only with this new router that I am have problems. The driver for the broadcom wireless card are updated to the latest update. Should I try downgrading? The adapter worked fine yesterday, so I don't know how that could be the problem.

jhoffy22

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
I think that I have fixed the issue.

What I ended up having to do was downgrade the driver for the Broadcom 802.11n driver to an older version (from the 2012 update to a 2010 update) and everything works fine now. There is only one issue. The Asus RT-N56U is supposed to support 300mbps transfer on wireless N. My computer is only showing 72mbps. How do I fix this? I have my 2.4Ghz channel set to channel 1. Does my adapter on my computer not support anything higher than that?