Wiring diagram for Direct Out "Insert" cable

Last response: in Home Audio
December 13, 2004 11:57:29 PM

The Hosa DOC10 cable does what I need in that it allows a conventional
Insert connection on a mixer to be used as a Direct-Out.

The trouble is that I need 24 of these and I think I can make them
myself at a lot less than $11 apiece for a 6-inch cable.

I'd like some corroboration of my guess of how this thing is probably wired.

The mixer end is TRS with T=Send and R=Return and S=Ground
The other end going into the DAW is an unbalanced TS connection.

So, the T and S shorted on the mixer side, and connected to T on the
other end?...then of course the S on both ends is common. Right?
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 11:57:30 PM

"GaryMedia" <garyNOSPAMPLZmedia@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
> The Hosa DOC10 cable does what I need in that it allows a conventional
> Insert connection on a mixer to be used as a Direct-Out.
>
> The trouble is that I need 24 of these and I think I can make them myself
> at a lot less than $11 apiece for a 6-inch cable.
>
> I'd like some corroboration of my guess of how this thing is probably
> wired.
>
> The mixer end is TRS with T=Send and R=Return and S=Ground
> The other end going into the DAW is an unbalanced TS connection.
>
> So, the T and S shorted on the mixer side, and connected to T on the other
> end?...then of course the S on both ends is common. Right?

That is how I wired mine and they work just fine.
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 11:57:30 PM

GaryMedia <garyNOSPAMPLZmedia@nc.rr.com> wrote:
>The Hosa DOC10 cable does what I need in that it allows a conventional
>Insert connection on a mixer to be used as a Direct-Out.
>
>The trouble is that I need 24 of these and I think I can make them
>myself at a lot less than $11 apiece for a 6-inch cable.

You'll find that if you buy decent connectors that it costs you a lot
more than you think to build these. (Not that the Hosa connectors are
decent).

>I'd like some corroboration of my guess of how this thing is probably wired.
>
>The mixer end is TRS with T=Send and R=Return and S=Ground
>The other end going into the DAW is an unbalanced TS connection.
>
>So, the T and S shorted on the mixer side, and connected to T on the
>other end?...then of course the S on both ends is common. Right?

Right. If you are using a Mackie mixer, the manual has information about
this in it. The Rane website section on making cables also talks about it.
--scott
December 13, 2004 11:57:30 PM

GaryMedia wrote:
> The Hosa DOC10 cable does what I need in that it allows a
conventional
> Insert connection on a mixer to be used as a Direct-Out.
>
> The trouble is that I need 24 of these and I think I can make them
> myself at a lot less than $11 apiece for a 6-inch cable.
>
> I'd like some corroboration of my guess of how this thing is probably
wired.

> The mixer end is TRS with T=Send and R=Return and S=Ground
> The other end going into the DAW is an unbalanced TS connection.
>
> So, the T and S shorted on the mixer side, and connected to T on the
> other end?...then of course the S on both ends is common. Right?

Another option is to use a premade 'guitar' cable and replace one end
with the TRS plug, wired as you have noted. Saves some effort over
wiring
the whole thing.

RD
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 11:57:31 PM

Scott Dorsey wrote:

>>The trouble is that I need 24 of these and I think I can make them
>>myself at a lot less than $11 apiece for a 6-inch cable.
>

> You'll find that if you buy decent connectors that it costs you a lot
> more than you think to build these. (Not that the Hosa connectors are
> decent).

That is what I was thinking. It will cost you about that just for the 2
connectors and a bit of cable. Of course, if you assemble them
correctly, the quality will be way better than Hosa.
Anonymous
December 13, 2004 11:57:32 PM

"Joe Sensor" wrote ...
> That is what I was thinking. It will cost you about that just for the 2
> connectors and a bit of cable. Of course, if you assemble them correctly,
> the quality will be way better than Hosa.

Exactly the reason I make my own.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 12:28:07 AM

"GaryMedia" <garyNOSPAMPLZmedia@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
> The Hosa DOC10 cable does what I need in that it allows a conventional
> Insert connection on a mixer to be used as a Direct-Out.
>
> The trouble is that I need 24 of these and I think I can make them
> myself at a lot less than $11 apiece for a 6-inch cable.
>
> I'd like some corroboration of my guess of how this thing is probably
> wired.
> The mixer end is TRS with T=Send and R=Return and S=Ground
> The other end going into the DAW is an unbalanced TS connection.
>
> So, the T and S shorted on the mixer side, and connected to T on the
> other end?...then of course the S on both ends is common. Right?

That's how I wire mine, and they work.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 7:34:49 PM

> "GaryMedia" <garyNOSPAMPLZmedia@nc.rr.com> wrote in message

> > The mixer end is TRS with T=Send and R=Return and S=Ground
> > The other end going into the DAW is an unbalanced TS connection.
> >
> > So, the T and S shorted on the mixer side, and connected to T on the
other
> > end?...then of course the S on both ends is common. Right?
>
> That is how I wired mine and they work just fine.

Surely not?
You should short Tip and *RING* at the mixer, then connect to the tip at the
DAW.
Both sleeves are common or ground.

TonyP.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 7:36:16 PM

> "GaryMedia" <garyNOSPAMPLZmedia@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
> > The mixer end is TRS with T=Send and R=Return and S=Ground
> > The other end going into the DAW is an unbalanced TS connection.
> >
> > So, the T and S shorted on the mixer side, and connected to T on the
> > other end?...then of course the S on both ends is common. Right?
>
> That's how I wire mine, and they work.

Surely not?
You should short Tip and *RING* at the mixer, then connect to the tip at the
DAW.
Both sleeves are common or ground.

TonyP.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 7:36:17 PM

"TonyP" <TonyP@optus.net.com.au> wrote in message
>> "GaryMedia" <garyNOSPAMPLZmedia@nc.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> The mixer end is TRS with T=Send and R=Return and S=Ground
>>> The other end going into the DAW is an unbalanced TS connection.
>>>
>>> So, the T and S shorted on the mixer side, and connected to T on the
>>> other end?...then of course the S on both ends is common. Right?
>>
>> That's how I wire mine, and they work.

> Surely not?

You are correct. Tip and ring should be shorted to each other. I didn't
notice that he mentioned the sleeve twice.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 7:40:24 PM

"RD Jones" <annonn@juno.com> wrote in message
> Another option is to use a premade 'guitar' cable and replace one end
> with the TRS plug, wired as you have noted. Saves some effort over
> wiring the whole thing.

You can usually buy a set (usually 6 or 8) of T/S (or TRS) patch cables MUCH
cheaper than guitar cables, if you want to replace one connector.
Better still, they are often color coded which comes in handy when patching.

TonyP.
!