Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Creata cards how do I get to install on windows 7

Tags:
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
Share
February 17, 2010 1:54:04 PM

Just had a new pc running windows 7 however I cannot get creata card to install
get a message incompatable any suggestions

More about : creata cards install windows

a b $ Windows 7
February 17, 2010 2:07:52 PM

Never heard of the application. What are the system requirements of it? Are you running 32 or 64 bit Windows 7? Need more info.
m
0
l
February 17, 2010 2:33:41 PM

its a card making software had it working on my windows Xp
I have windows 7 64 bit
thanks for the reply
m
0
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
February 17, 2010 2:59:50 PM

annie_43 said:
its a card making software had it working on my windows Xp
I have windows 7 64 bit
thanks for the reply


I'm wondering if it's a 16-bit app then. 16-bit apps (from the Windows 3.1 era) will not work under 64-bit Windows. You would have to go back to 32-bit Windows and even then, it might STILL not work based on how the application was written.

Is this the American Greetings Create-a-card application? What version is it?

m
0
l
February 17, 2010 4:43:57 PM

prob is 16- bit not sure have had the software for years
its Carlton cards CreataCard Gold by Micrografx I would assume it is an American version
I have used it for years now i am unable to in windows 7
thanks
m
0
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
February 17, 2010 5:41:06 PM

What CPU do you have in your system, and what version of Windows 7 are you running? If you have a CPU with Virtualization, and Windows 7 Professional or higher, download and install Windows Virtual PC and a copy of Windows XP Mode.

To determine whether you have a VT enabled CPU, download a utility called Securable.
m
1
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 17, 2010 5:57:41 PM

Prophecy brings up a great point that I forgot about as my CPU doesn't support hardware virtualization. If you do have a CPU that can do it AND you're running Windows 7 Professional, then you should be able to run it in Windows XP mode.

Definitely check out the link he gave you to see if your CPU can do virtualization. If so, you're well on your to getting this running under Windows 7.

If your CPU is good to go, then go to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.as... to start getting it set up on your machine. And you do NOT need to have a copy of XP. Microsoft provides you with it free of charge in the XP Mode bundle.

If your CPU cannot do virtualization, all is not lost. If you have your own copy of XP, then you can use vmware to run a virtualized copy of XP. Just go to http://downloads.vmware.com/d/details/player_3_0/ZGp0Ym... to download the 64-bit version of VMWare Player (it's free for unlimited personal use). Install it and then create a new virtual machine to install XP. Just boot up your XP CD in the virtual machine and install it like you would on an actual machine.

Once that's installed and all patches are applied, install your application in the XP Virtual Machine and hopefully it should work.

But, definitely check if you can run XP Mode first because it's easier to install AND it runs the application seamlessly as if it was just launched within Windows 7. With VMWare Player, it has a pseudo-seamless option, but you have to launch VMWare Player first, then launch the OS and then log in and launch the application.
m
0
l
February 20, 2010 8:13:44 AM

appreciate the replies
I run on windows 7 basic have read about the virtualization was not sure if it included the windows basic. i will go to the links and try and make some sense of it.
m
0
l
February 20, 2010 9:25:35 AM

Hello good advice from you but came across my pc will run in VT
But as I am running the windows 7 basic I cannot install the VT I need to be running Windows professional if this is so i I need to upgrade to it
seems a lot of effort to run this one program, what would be your opinion
thanks
m
0
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
February 20, 2010 4:23:33 PM

Then you will need to use a different virtualization product, like VMware Player. Version 3 allows you to create virtual machines (previous versions of Player only allowed you to run already created virtual systems). Downloading Player from the VMware website requires you to create an account, and answer a bunch of useless questions, so instead I suggest you get it from a reputable 3rd party file hosting website like FileHippo. You can find VMware Player 3 from FileHippo here.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 20, 2010 4:30:34 PM

Before you thinking about upgrading Win7 versions to Pro or higher... try this.

Copy the whole Create-a-Card folder from the XP PC onto a CD/DVD or USB thumb drive and then just copy that whole folder onto your Win 7 PC.
m
0
l
February 22, 2010 9:11:12 AM

The_Prophecy said:
Then you will need to use a different virtualization product, like VMware Player. Version 3 allows you to create virtual machines (previous versions of Player only allowed you to run already created virtual systems). Downloading Player from the VMware website requires you to create an account, and answer a bunch of useless questions, so instead I suggest you get it from a reputable 3rd party file hosting website like FileHippo. You can find VMware Player 3 from FileHippo here.


Hi have installed VM from the link you gave me, it is sitting on my desktop
I have no idea how to use it can you give advice on how to install creata card

and I would be unable to copy Creata card as I can install on windows 7
thanks
m
0
l
February 22, 2010 9:12:46 AM

Sorry my last message should read unable to install creata card on windows 7
So I would nbe unable to copy from
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 22, 2010 9:28:02 AM

Annie, do you have a copy of Windows XP to install? That's what you have to do. You have to launch VMware Player and click on the "Create a New Virtual Machine".

It will then ask where is the installer disk for the OS (XP in this case) located at? Select the drive it is located in and then click the Next button.

Next, select what the guest operating system is. If it's XP, then VMWare Client can usually guess at it. Otherwise, choose Windows from the radio button list. And then choose which version of Windows XP you are installing. Click Next.

Next, enter the Windows Product Key and then a username and password to be created on the machine. Click Next.

Next, choose a name to call you virtual machine and where to locate it's files as. Click Next.

Next, enter the amount of disk space to use for your virtual hard drive. Click Next to keep the defaults which should be good.

Review what you selected and then click FInish to begin the process. DOn't worry about formatting a hard drive. When they ask you this, you are formatting a virtual hard drive, not the actual hard drive you have Windows 7 installed on.

When it's all done, you can then launch the virtual XP machine and see if your program works there.
m
0
l
February 22, 2010 12:31:28 PM

isamuelson said:
Annie, do you have a copy of Windows XP to install? That's what you have to do. You have to launch VMware Player and click on the "Create a New Virtual Machine".

It will then ask where is the installer disk for the OS (XP in this case) located at? Select the drive it is located in and then click the Next button.

Next, select what the guest operating system is. If it's XP, then VMWare Client can usually guess at it. Otherwise, choose Windows from the radio button list. And then choose which version of Windows XP you are installing. Click Next.

Next, enter the Windows Product Key and then a username and password to be created on the machine. Click Next.

Next, choose a name to call you virtual machine and where to locate it's files as. Click Next.

Next, enter the amount of disk space to use for your virtual hard drive. Click Next to keep the defaults which should be good.

Review what you selected and then click FInish to begin the process. DOn't worry about formatting a hard drive. When they ask you this, you are formatting a virtual hard drive, not the actual hard drive you have Windows 7 installed on.

When it's all done, you can then launch the virtual XP machine and see if your program works there.




Hi all I have is this which I Dont think is the installation disc.
written exactly how it is on the disc

Fujitsu siemens
Product recovery dvd
Windows XP Media centre 2005
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 22, 2010 12:35:55 PM

The product recovery dvd is what you came with your PC. It would recover XP on your machine, but it's tied to your particular PC so it won't work with VMWare.

The Windows XP Media Centre 2005 MIGHT be your XP installation disc. You could try that one and see what happens. Normally, this is the same as the Professional Edition of XP except it also includes Media Centre. Try that one and see if that works.

Usually, XP MC 2005 came on 2 CDs (not DVDs).
m
0
l
February 22, 2010 1:11:49 PM

isamuelson said:
The product recovery dvd is what you came with your PC. It would recover XP on your machine, but it's tied to your particular PC so it won't work with VMWare.

The Windows XP Media Centre 2005 MIGHT be your XP installation disc. You could try that one and see what happens. Normally, this is the same as the Professional Edition of XP except it also includes Media Centre. Try that one and see if that works.

Usually, XP MC 2005 came on 2 CDs (not DVDs).




Hi have tried running the disc the message I get is
this program is blocked due to compatibility issues It seems windows 7 has a lot of incompatibility issues
thanks for you help I do appreciate it

Annie
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 22, 2010 2:55:20 PM

The disc for your application or the Windows XP Media Centre disc? you want to install the OS first.

Also, you want to boot the disc within your virtual machine. Do NOT attempt to run it from Windows 7 directly.

Did you go through all the steps I outlined earlier about how to install the OS into VMWare? Windows 7 shouldn't be blocking it at all within VMWare. I install XP 64-bit edition with no problems in VMWare under Windows 7.
m
0
l
February 22, 2010 5:12:44 PM

isamuelson said:
The disc for your application or the Windows XP Media Centre disc? you want to install the OS first.

Also, you want to boot the disc within your virtual machine. Do NOT attempt to run it from Windows 7 directly.

Did you go through all the steps I outlined earlier about how to install the OS into VMWare? Windows 7 shouldn't be blocking it at all within VMWare. I install XP 64-bit edition with no problems in VMWare under Windows 7.



Hi did what you requested, although i have only one disc not sure if it was the os or not. but it has worked I now have Creatacard up and running is there anyway to enlarge the screen on the Virtual machine as it seems small. and is ther a way to put a short cut of windows xp on the desk top
thanks again this is brilliant
annie
m
0
l

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
February 22, 2010 5:46:22 PM

annie_43 said:
Hi did what you requested, although i have only one disc not sure if it was the os or not. but it has worked I now have Creatacard up and running is there anyway to enlarge the screen on the Virtual machine as it seems small. and is ther a way to put a short cut of windows xp on the desk top
thanks again this is brilliant
annie


Glad you got it working.

First off, for the screen, you should be able to right click on the XP desktop and select properties like you would to set the screen size. If not, then you may have to install VMWare Tools. This should help with your issues concerning that. The following link will help you in getting VMWare and installing it: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?l...

As for a short cut to windows, there isn't any way to do that. That's the bad thing about this instead of Windows XP Mode (which you can't run due to your version of Windows). Every time you want to use it, you'll have to launch VMWare Player and then launch the virtual machine. But this is better than dual booting! You get to keep Windows 7 up and running along side with your XP program.
Share
February 22, 2010 5:56:57 PM

thanks for all your help you have been a great help, you made me achieve something I was beginning to think impossible
will come back to you if i have any other concerns if thats okay
Annie
m
0
l
February 22, 2010 5:57:10 PM

Best answer selected by annie_43.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 22, 2010 6:27:04 PM

annie_43 said:
thanks for all your help you have been a great help, you made me achieve something I was beginning to think impossible
will come back to you if i have any other concerns if thats okay
Annie


It's been a pleasure. Glad it's working for you.
m
0
l
March 30, 2010 6:19:12 PM

trying to instal carlton createacard onto windows 7.but it will not accept it.Is there a windows7 disc available and where would i purchase it? thanks for any help you can give me JANIE
m
0
l
!