Ram isnt working to potential?

TryingtoLearn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Ram:256 Crucial DDR 266 mhz Ram
CPU:Amd Ahtlon Xp 2000+
Mobo:Ecs K7s5a
In the Ecs Bios, it gives me three options to change the cpu speed.
CPU 100(mhz) by 100 Ram
CPU 100 by 130 Ram
CPU 130 by 130 Ram
It only works on the 100 by 100 mhz option? It should be able to run on a much higher speed. Please any suggestions are welcome.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There might be a jumper on the board to switch to 133MHz bus mode. But the proper setting is 133MHz by 133MHz, which is DDR266, the speed for both XP processor busses and PC2100 memory.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

RobD

Champion
The ECS K7S5A, a classic no nonsense board!
I used to run this, prior to a major upgrade.
As Crashman said, the only way to get it running fully is 133MHz by 133MHz, otherwise you CPU will show as a much lower model. (Caught me out on first boot!)
Can't recall a jumper on the board, but I'll check my documentation when I get home.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's either a jumper or a BIOS setting, it's been a while since I've seen a K7S5A.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

RobD

Champion
Dug out the old K7S5A manual..
Set the CPU Frequency to 133MHz, DRAM Frequency to 133MHz for optimal performance.
No jumpers, as I thought.
Hope this helps.

YATLA

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2002
I have the K7S5A, and there is no jumper setting for FSB/memory, it's set in the BIOS which was pointed out should be 133/133. You might try increasing the CAS Latency (Advanced tab in BIOS) from default of SPD (which is probably 2.5 depending on your memeory) to 3T. I had some stability problems with the default timing settings and chnaged to either CL 2 or 3 worked fine but not at 2.5.

Also, you might try flashing the BIOS to the latest version.

LAst thought...if it doesn't work in 100/133 mode, then you may have a bad memory stick, test it with MEMTEST86 which is freeware.