Is it possible??

toyndb

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Hey all!!

Got a question for ya all!

I'm building my own computer for the first time (scary)but what i want to know is if at all possible,Can i take the hdd out of my old comp which is running vista and put it into my new comp and buy a windows 7 upgrade disc and install it.Or do i have to buy a full windows 7 pack?

Thanks for your help in advance

An upgrade would work. But the only way I'd suggest an upgrade disc is if the Vista edition you bought was the full retail package.

If the Vista install on your old HDD is one that came with your PC (an OEM edition), you're better off going with the Win7 OEM for your new build.

toyndb

Honorable
May 28, 2012
ah ok i just read that theres no microsoft support with the oem editions,dont know if that matters at all .As i stated this is my first build and i dont wanna mess it up

There still is the free type MS support - plus you can always pay for support.
Just none of the 'paid support for free' you get with the full retail box during the first 90 days.

OEM is the right choice for a new build like you're doing.

How much free space do you have left on your HDD?

If you want to avoid over writing your Vista HDD you can always do a Custom (advanced) Windows 7 install.
You'll make a new partition on the HDD and install Win7 into that partition, leaving the Vista partition 'as is'.

CDdude55

Distinguished
The only problem that might arise is from having Vista under new hardware, it could/can cause instablity and you might find yourself fighting off BSODs instead of installing Windows 7.

If Vista runs stable for the most part with the new system then the Windows 7 upgrade disc should work fine.(even though i believe you can do a clean install with the upgrade version as well, cause i once actually accidently bought an upgrade versions of 7 and managed to install it with no preexisting OS).

So in short it should be fine if Vista can boot with the new hardware to do the upgrade, and if not you still should be able to do a clean install with the upgrade disc by booting from it. So you win either way.

CDdude55

Distinguished

+1, if you do not already own the upgrade version of 7, then go for the cheaper and still sufficent OEM version.

OK, once you've done that you'll have plenty of room for a Win7 installation.
You won't need to over-write the Vista install, if you want to keep it.

Just use the Custom (Advanced) installation option to create a new partition on the HDD and install Win7 there.

2012-01-28_064604_w7-0.jpg