ddhayes

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
I am interested in building an affordable realtime video editing computer. My questions are, will a dual hard drive system running ATA 100/133 at 7200rpm using Raid 0 serve my purposes or do I need to spend the extra money to go SCSI? Also is storing parts of the data on two drives a reliable way of storage? Also if this is viable what drives over 100Gb are recommeded for reliability? Thanks

jheine

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2002
I don't think SCSI will really benefit unless you plan on using 10k rpm drives. The IDE drives should be sufficient. Using RAID 0 will definately help with throughput. If your going to do really intense editing, you may want to use the RAID for data and add a third system drive. Also, if you use two of the WD or Maxtor drives with the 8MB cache, you may be able to get away without using RAID at all and just run one system and one data drive. Alot of the video editing software recommends a two drive approach like this. Having the data drive on a RAID 0 cluster will improve the performance.

As for reliability of RAID 0, if one drive fails, the whole cluster is shot. If your worried about data integrity, you may want to go with a RAID 1 setup. Otherwise your looking at more money for a RAID 5 setup.

Jarrett

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new"><b><font color=red>Join The THGC Music Project</font color=red></b></A>