Sign in with
Your question

How to best rack cable modem and WiFi router.

January 15, 2013 3:23:51 PM

I have a funny home network setup, and it required going with a centralized wiring / relay rack in my home office to distribute throughout the house. Yes I also have WiFi, but 802.11n just doesn't even come close to gigabit wired performance....

Anyway, long story short, I am trying to figure out the best way to rack up my cable modem, and WiFi router.

My Comcast provided modem is getting long in the tooth, and I am considering picking up a Cisco / Linksys DPC3008-CC which I like the idea of knowing a bit about my hardware rather than renting the POS from Comcast anyway... But I digress...

The modem then will be the Cisco / Linksys DPC3008-CC, and the router, is my current Cisco / Linksys EA2700.

I am considering using a vented shelf in the rack itself but would need a shallow shelf as the relay rack is only 18" deep. This of course begs the question how to I attach the router and modem to the actual shelf?

I sure wish that these vendors would make this grade of hardware rackable. I know I am not in the majority of users, but I bet a lot of folks would like the flexibility, especially with small business, and large home office networks like mine.
!