No bootable device error, can't start computer

Hello, and thank you in advance for your help.

My Toshiba Satellite L755 is receiving the following error at startup:
------------------
Check cable connection!
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.
No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key
-----------------

This occurred after I used Toshiba Wizard to clear the hardrive. I was attempting to get everything back it's original state.

So far I have gotten into setup by holding f2 at startup. The boot tab reads:
--------------------
1. HDD/SSD Hitachi HTS545050B9A300 (S1)
2. USB
3. ODD TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633F (PM)
4. FDD
5. LAN Atheros Boot Agent
------------------

I have also tried disconnecting the battery and harddrive and then reconnecting them.
9 answers Last reply
More about bootable device error start computer
  1. Did you erase the HD? If so, it's asking for the installation disk.
  2. When you say you "cleared the hard drive" does that mean you erased everything from the hard drive? (including the OS)
  3. bkoop said:
    When you say you "cleared the hard drive" does that mean you erased everything from the hard drive? (including the OS)

It didn't specify, I had just assumed that Toshiba wouldn't let me erase the OS so easily. That may be what happened, but I don't believe the laptop came with any disks.
  4. Yeah. Once you erase, you need to buy windows 7 again. -.-
  5. It just surprises me that they offer that option in with the system restore and recovery.. I suppose I will check to see if there is any kind of recovery partition.
  6. samuelspark said:
    Yeah. Once you erase, you need to buy windows 7 again. -.-

I can't tell if you joking or not. The OP might have to buy a set of media, but that is much cheaper than buying the full OS.
  7. Okay, I think I have it figured out.

If this happens to anyone else on their Toshiba laptop, you can start your computer while holding down the 0 (zero) key. This will allow you to do a "Recover of Factory Software," and reinstall the OS.
  8. That's good to hear. The recovery partition wasn't erased.
  9. I have this very same problem, however when I hold zero down and bootup nothing changes I still get the same error
Ask a new question

Read More

Devices Windows 7