Frostied

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2004
Just bought a new 172t and trying to connect it to my leadtek geforce 3 tdh by DVI. I assumed that it would "plug and play" just like a regular analog monitor, so I hooked everything up, put in the dvi cable and started up my machine, but all I got was no connection msgs. Is there something special you have to do like pre-install drivers? I'm currently running it with the analog cable right now and it seems fine but I refuse to fully test it without seeing it in DVI :). BTW, would connecting both analog and digital between one monitor and one computer affect anything or just make it easier to change between digital and analog modes if possible?

Nexus

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2003
Interesting, the same thing happened to me once, it turned out to be a bad DVI cable. Have you ran a monitor using DVI before? If so that would rule your card out as the problem. Possible solutions to your problem:

1. A cable Might be loose. First make you you connected everything in properly and the DVI cable fits tight. Test. Still a problem?

2. The DVI cable might be bad. Try using another DVI cable OR If you have a digital-to-analog connector (might have come with your video card) add that on (if it doesn't work with the adapter, it's probably the cable). Test. Still a problem?

3. Your DVI on your card might be bad... geforce4 is pretty cheap now, heh. Try using the montior with DVI on another computer. Test.

4. Still a problem?
Then that's out of my range.

Try it out, hope it helps.

Frostied

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2004
Hmmm.. nope, first dvi LCD on this card, also my personal first LCD and/or dvi period...

It crossed my mind that it might be a problem with the DVI in either just the cable, monitor or my card, but somehow the chances of that idea being true seemed a little improbable. I'll most likely test my monitor at a friend's house and draw some more conclusions then, I doubt my trusty leadtek gf3 tdh is the source of the problem but theres always a chance...

I don't think Ill be using a DVI/analog adapter anywhere, as that's the reason why I got a dual input 172t lcd to match my dual input gf3, direct dvi-dvi connection :)

I've also had a small problem of sudden chronic 3 sec flickers ending in a black screen, the results of which I can solve by either pressing the power button on and off or pressing the source button which would change between analog and digital connection (if it worked, and yes, I've tried it...). I end up having this flicker before death problem at different time intervals ranging from 10 to .02 minutes. I've thought about the source of the problem possibly being drivers, or user set herts or resolutions, but I haven't narrowed it down, hopefully getting DVI to work may solve this problem.

jchedley

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2001
if it helps, i also have the leadtek gf3 ti200 (DVI) hooked into a 172T (great card btw). though i never had any issues with no signal.

you can always try hooking it up with both analogue AND dvi cable, then using the source button you can find what the card is actually outputting.

good luck, im sure youll get it working.

mac404

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2002
I know this is from a while ago, but with my 173T and 152T both had to have drivers installed before my DVI would work. Also, on the 173T I have to keep both cables in for DVI to work properly. I don't know, call it a weird glitch, or maybe it's fairly normal, but it's been working pretty well now. I do get some random flickers, but they'ev all been while on AOL for me, so I've written them off as an AOL bug, don't know when they happen to you.