Sign in with
Your question

High Ping in Game/Streams- Only Recently?

Last response: in Networking
January 15, 2013 10:55:02 PM

For the past few years I would always have small 'white outs' with my internet where I would drop connection for about 10 minutes entirely and then it would work again. This would happen maybe 6-10 times per week. I constantly called them (comcast) and told them the issue and they assured me it was my router.

I purchased 3 different routers, all from different brands and price ranges only to be told it was my router still. Recently we were called and asked if we wanted to upgrade to Comcast Triple Play, which would add a phone line to our home and also increase our internet speeds. We agreed to do so, but once they made the changes we began to see our internet ping going through the roof once a load was put on it. Playing games, streaming netflix or amazon, it doesn't matter. After about 10 minutes of doing so the ping will go to 500-1000 and either drop our connection to a game or put us in a buffering screen for streaming video.

We called them yet again only to be told it was our router. I told them I wanted the exact model router they want me to be using in order to no longer be told that my router was the problem. They simply said "We can send you our own gateway to solve the problem, free of charge!". Don't even ask my why it took them this long to offer that, but it doesn't matter now. We receive the gateway in the mail and hook it up, activate it, and test it out. The problem still exists. If I try to play an online game my ping shoots through the roof. If my girlfriend tries playing an online game with me we both just disconnect over and over again. When streaming videos it does seem to be a bit better, but I am still seeing loading screen in the middle of my stream that I never saw in the past.

Can anyone help me here with a solution or suggestion to fix this problem? Thank you.

I'd like to add my download/upload speeds are fine until I start using the net.
January 16, 2013 3:12:25 AM

Here is a test of me pinging steampowered.com, I chose this website because most of the games I play are steam games and I know they are located out west so I shouldn't have perfect ping, but paying for high speed comcast I shouldn't have issues like this.
m
l
January 16, 2013 12:56:43 PM

cstutzjr said:
For the past few years I would always have small 'white outs' with my internet where I would drop connection for about 10 minutes entirely and then it would work again. This would happen maybe 6-10 times per week. I constantly called them (comcast) and told them the issue and they assured me it was my router.

I purchased 3 different routers, all from different brands and price ranges only to be told it was my router still. Recently we were called and asked if we wanted to upgrade to Comcast Triple Play, which would add a phone line to our home and also increase our internet speeds. We agreed to do so, but once they made the changes we began to see our internet ping going through the roof once a load was put on it. Playing games, streaming netflix or amazon, it doesn't matter. After about 10 minutes of doing so the ping will go to 500-1000 and either drop our connection to a game or put us in a buffering screen for streaming video.

We called them yet again only to be told it was our router. I told them I wanted the exact model router they want me to be using in order to no longer be told that my router was the problem. They simply said "We can send you our own gateway to solve the problem, free of charge!". Don't even ask my why it took them this long to offer that, but it doesn't matter now. We receive the gateway in the mail and hook it up, activate it, and test it out. The problem still exists. If I try to play an online game my ping shoots through the roof. If my girlfriend tries playing an online game with me we both just disconnect over and over again. When streaming videos it does seem to be a bit better, but I am still seeing loading screen in the middle of my stream that I never saw in the past.

Can anyone help me here with a solution or suggestion to fix this problem? Thank you.

I'd like to add my download/upload speeds are fine until I start using the net.

ask them to ping your modem but not 4 or 8 times the max shoudl be like 100 or 120.
the company has some weird policies but unfortunately the call center is to get you off the phone as fast as possible.
Keep calling repeat calls count against them.
Most likley you will require a trouble call which may end up costing you to fix, this is the way of the world the wires in your house are YOURS and your responsibility. Unfortunately any of them can push noise into the system and cause int service, its the physics of the world. It may also be a wireless issue if could very well be another neighbors wireless or a wireless phone interfering with the wireless signal, there are several possibilities.

At the current moment the best bet is to head over to dslreports, READ THE FAQ, and post for help providing the info required in the FAQ, in a post there and see what they suggest.
m
l
Related resources
January 16, 2013 7:37:59 PM

Thanks for the help, I went ahead and posted on dslreports. Hopefully they will be able to help more. We called phone support again last night and the man laughed at us and said we can't just assume we know when there is a problem because he knows there isn't one. We asked for a supervisor and he said one would call us back in two hours, but we heard nothing more from them.
m
l
January 16, 2013 7:55:18 PM

cstutzjr said:
Thanks for the help, I went ahead and posted on dslreports. Hopefully they will be able to help more. We called phone support again last night and the man laughed at us and said we can't just assume we know when there is a problem because he knows there isn't one. We asked for a supervisor and he said one would call us back in two hours, but we heard nothing more from them.

hopfully you read the FAQ and gave them the signal levels and error logs like it asks...
m
l
January 16, 2013 8:42:30 PM

I gave all the info it listed they required, I posted directly into the Comcast section, hopefully thats where you were telling me to go?
m
l
!