Windows repair under DOS ?

sakattack

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2001
Although this has more to do about DOS , I’m posting it here because it has also to do with windows.

There is a time when you want to copy a big folder with subfolders under DOS, i.e.:

-when Windows have been damaged and you want to format C: and copy an older working copy of C: that you have kept on D:

-or when you want to make a fresh install of windows on a new HDD but you want to do it faster by copying the windows CD on your HDD and install from there.

So, it seems that I have forgotten my DOS.
HOW can you do this copy? I have tried “copy” & “copy *.*” but it will only copy files but not folders. What am I doing wrong?

orbz

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2001
Yah, use <b>xcopy</b> with the <b>/s</b> command.

I don't think you need to copy any subdirectories on the win cd, just need all the cabs in the win9x directory (or whatever directory). I think its different for nt/2k/xp.

:eek: :frown: :mad: :eek: :redface: :cool: :lol: :tongue: :wink: - What do you want to feel today? :)

slickstaa

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
xcopy works fine. however u can just use the "md" (make directory) command to make folders one ur hd if u ever have need to in the future.
ex:
c:\md wincd

slickstaa

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
im sorry i didnt read over the forum too well and made myself look like an idiot!!
o well theres a time for all of us to be humbled

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
Hey! Don't feel bad! We all make one another look like Idiots. That's what we are here for.

:lol:

:smile: <b><font color=green>I took an I.Q. test today...it came back negative.</font color=green></b> :smile: