losing signal with cable length - normal?

Last response: in Home Audio
December 14, 2004 11:13:57 PM

Hi!

I got a new (MESA/BOOGIE Formula) pre-amp that seems to be very sensitive to
signal levels. I didn't recover the problem described under using my
Marshall 6100 head.
The preamp/amp are built in to a rack with a Neutrik (NYS-SPP-L) patchbay. I
run my cable from my guitar to the patchbay which is sent to a VOX wah pedal
then back to the patchbay because I need to be able to choose which pree-amp
I plug into (I have 3 different pre-amps, using the Marshall as the power
amplifier).
The 2 cables going from and going into the patchbay seems to be the bad
point of this system. These are self-made from high quality Neutrik plugs
and Klotz cable (Pro Audio Instrument Cable Low Microphonics). Both cables
are about 2 metres. The solderings are OK.
If I plug directly into the pre-amp I get a much cleaner, hotter signal that
sounds punchier. If I go through the patchbay I lose some high end and some
punch.
How to overcome this problem? Where do I go wrong?
Thanks for your help!

bence
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 1:43:48 AM

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 20:13:57 +0000, Locsmándi Bence wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I got a new (MESA/BOOGIE Formula) pre-amp that seems to be very sensitive to
> signal levels. I didn't recover the problem described under using my
> Marshall 6100 head.
> The preamp/amp are built in to a rack with a Neutrik (NYS-SPP-L) patchbay. I
> run my cable from my guitar to the patchbay which is sent to a VOX wah pedal
> then back to the patchbay because I need to be able to choose which pree-amp
> I plug into (I have 3 different pre-amps, using the Marshall as the power
> amplifier).
> The 2 cables going from and going into the patchbay seems to be the bad
> point of this system. These are self-made from high quality Neutrik plugs
> and Klotz cable (Pro Audio Instrument Cable Low Microphonics). Both cables
> are about 2 metres. The solderings are OK.
> If I plug directly into the pre-amp I get a much cleaner, hotter signal that
> sounds punchier. If I go through the patchbay I lose some high end and some
> punch.
> How to overcome this problem? Where do I go wrong?
> Thanks for your help!

I would suspect the Wah pedal. Does it have a true bypass? If it does, it
should still pass a signal when off, and the battery removed. The
mesa head may be more sensitive to input impedance than the marshall.

Also..
The signal loss is more likely to be in the socket/plug connections than
the cables. Giving the patchbay sockets a clean can't hurt.

That's a balanced patchbay. Try connecting pins 2+3 (Shield and ring) on
the sockets together for a better earth.

Try plugging a lead from the amp input directly into the patchbay's guitar
output and see if one less plug/socket connection makes any difference.

> bence
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 2:17:37 AM

Thanks a lot!

b.

"philicorda" <philicorda@localhost.com> az alábbiakat írta a következo
üzenetben news:p an.2004.12.15.22.45.55.858511@localhost.com...
> On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 20:13:57 +0000, Locsmándi Bence wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > I got a new (MESA/BOOGIE Formula) pre-amp that seems to be very
sensitive to
> > signal levels. I didn't recover the problem described under using my
> > Marshall 6100 head.
> > The preamp/amp are built in to a rack with a Neutrik (NYS-SPP-L)
patchbay. I
> > run my cable from my guitar to the patchbay which is sent to a VOX wah
pedal
> > then back to the patchbay because I need to be able to choose which
pree-amp
> > I plug into (I have 3 different pre-amps, using the Marshall as the
power
> > amplifier).
> > The 2 cables going from and going into the patchbay seems to be the bad
> > point of this system. These are self-made from high quality Neutrik
plugs
> > and Klotz cable (Pro Audio Instrument Cable Low Microphonics). Both
cables
> > are about 2 metres. The solderings are OK.
> > If I plug directly into the pre-amp I get a much cleaner, hotter signal
that
> > sounds punchier. If I go through the patchbay I lose some high end and
some
> > punch.
> > How to overcome this problem? Where do I go wrong?
> > Thanks for your help!
>
> I would suspect the Wah pedal. Does it have a true bypass? If it does, it
> should still pass a signal when off, and the battery removed. The
> mesa head may be more sensitive to input impedance than the marshall.
>
> Also..
> The signal loss is more likely to be in the socket/plug connections than
> the cables. Giving the patchbay sockets a clean can't hurt.
>
> That's a balanced patchbay. Try connecting pins 2+3 (Shield and ring) on
> the sockets together for a better earth.
>
> Try plugging a lead from the amp input directly into the patchbay's guitar
> output and see if one less plug/socket connection makes any difference.
>

> > bence

Anonymous
December 15, 2004 10:18:48 AM

"Locsmándi Bence" <locsmandi.bence@chello.hu> wrote in message

> If I plug directly into the pre-amp I get a much cleaner, hotter signal
that
> sounds punchier. If I go through the patchbay I lose some high end and
some
> punch.

The additional cable is adding capacitance, which is rolling off the
guitar's output at a lower frequency.

Peace,
Paul
!