BloodyDream3

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
I currently have a netgear router, I'm honestly not sure which one but I want to upgrade it. I want something better and faster. I plan on putting it in my room so that I can connect my PC up via Ethernet. My budget is around $100, I can go up but I'd prefer not to.

I'm also looking for a good network expansion card, where should I post about it?

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
Do you know what kind of Internet connection you currently have? And what speeds it offers? That information will play an important role in picking a proper router.

What exactly do you mean by a network expansion card? Do you mean a wireless card, or a network card that you can plug your ethernet cable into?

BloodyDream3

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012

Mmm, not right off hand. I'll get back to you.

I mean an ethernet card, I was thinking about going with a wireless card but I'd rather the router be in my room since that's a little faster. I was just wondering if they were worth it and any recommendations.

calmstateofmind

Distinguished
If you can, I'd stick with a hardwired connection; they're much faster than going wireless. They make network cards specifically for gaming, like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833189002

I've never used one myself, but I can imagine that they make a difference compared to a regular network card. Let me know what your network is and I'll throw you a few suggestions for a router!

BloodyDream3

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012

Yeah, I definitely want to go with wired over wireless. This wireless thing is already pissing me off. It's sad that my $250, 5 year old desktop is faster than the one that I just built. I was thinking of going with a Killer Card, but I couldn't find any of them. Seems as if they've stopped making desktop cards.

I don't exactly understand what you're asking, in regards to my network type. I know that it's through Cable, if that helps xD As for the speed, I ran Speedtest, is that what you need? Or is there a better way to determine that?

successful_troll

Distinguished
May 5, 2009

Things like "Killer Card" are waste of money the redaction of the ping that they doing is insignificant it is much better to use this money to buy a new gpu that will give you more fps, as a result being more competitive in online games.

BloodyDream3

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012

Yeah, I just read something about that. I wasn't sure how much the Killer cards were, but from I've read it seems that they were expensive. I figured I'd get a cheaper one with good reviews and see if it helped any. It isn't JUST for gaming, I want an all around faster connection. Do you think that it could help or no?

calmstateofmind

Distinguished

Like I said, I've never had any experience with one, but that specific card has received some decent reviews, with people claiming their ping dropping around 50ms, coming from onboard NIC. That's worth mentioning at least.

And the OP said they have a $100 budget...I'm not sure what kind of graphics card they would want to invest only $100 in, and still be left with their original problem, that being their method of connecting to the Internet.

I'd recommend this router: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122326

Just hook your computer's ethernet cable into one of the LAN ports and you'll be set.

BloodyDream3

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012

I have $100 for the router, I can spend a little more for the network card as well. If it helps that is, if not then I won't waste my money. I also don't need a graphics card haha, I just built my computer, so I should be good for a while.

As for the router, I was looking at that one. I've been sticking to Netgear, Linksys, and Asus as it seems that they're the better ones. I don't know much about this kind of thing, so I've been going on just customer reviews alone basically.