  • Battery
  • Phones
Last response: in Brands
May 7, 2005 7:17:09 PM

I just purchase a v551, I love the phone it has lot of neat features,
strong signal But the battery management it's just horrible.

The phone goes from 2 bars to no bars in 2 second flat !

Ok I am exaggerating but when it does get to 2 bars it drains rapidly to a
beeping low battery.

They advertise this phone with :
Digital Talk Time: 7 Hrs

Digital Standby Time: 7 Days

I don't think it's even close

I don't care if you charge it every hour or every month or keep it on the
charger all day

The advertisement is false

Even knowing the V551 is a great phone it's heart is weak.

I will finish by saying that I will keep this phone but I will take it to
the doctor for regular checks ;-)

*PS* Not much use of multimedia so no drain there.

More about : v551 battery life short

May 7, 2005 7:17:10 PM

The Motorola specifications for this phone are 3.7 HOURS (220 minutes)
talk time (on the low side) and 7.46 DAYS (179 hours) standby time.
That means no talking. My experience along with others in this
newsgroup is around 3 days between charges with a moderate amount of
talk time. If you have Bluetooth turned on, it will significantly
affect your battery time.

It is a great phone. I don't mind the 3 day charge time when the
Startac 7868W I replaced with the V551 needed charging every day or
more often. It's really not that big a deal to plug it in every 3
nights and take it off the charger in the morning.

On Sat, 07 May 2005 15:17:09 GMT, "\"AERO\"" <no@spam.com> wrote:

>I just purchase a v551, I love the phone it has lot of neat features,
>strong signal But the battery management it's just horrible.
>
>The phone goes from 2 bars to no bars in 2 second flat !
>
>Ok I am exaggerating but when it does get to 2 bars it drains rapidly to a
>beeping low battery.
>
>They advertise this phone with :
>Digital Talk Time: 7 Hrs
>
>Digital Standby Time: 7 Days
>
>I don't think it's even close
>
> I don't care if you charge it every hour or every month or keep it on the
>charger all day
>
>The advertisement is false
>
>Even knowing the V551 is a great phone it's heart is weak.
>
>I will finish by saying that I will keep this phone but I will take it to
>the doctor for regular checks ;-)
>
>*PS* Not much use of multimedia so no drain there.

Anonymous
May 7, 2005 9:03:04 PM

Ok if you say so but I bought the phone thru cingular my comment stands as
false advertisement (check link)

It calls for 7sb / 7tt

http://onlinestore.cingular.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servl...

"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
> The Motorola specifications for this phone are 3.7 HOURS (220 minutes)
> talk time (on the low side) and 7.46 DAYS (179 hours) standby time.
> That means no talking. My experience along with others in this
> newsgroup is around 3 days between charges with a moderate amount of
> talk time. If you have Bluetooth turned on, it will significantly
> affect your battery time.
>
> It is a great phone. I don't mind the 3 day charge time when the
> Startac 7868W I replaced with the V551 needed charging every day or
> more often. It's really not that big a deal to plug it in every 3
> nights and take it off the charger in the morning.
>

> On Sat, 07 May 2005 15:17:09 GMT, "\"AERO\"" <no@spam.com> wrote:
>
> >I just purchase a v551, I love the phone it has lot of neat features,
> >strong signal But the battery management it's just horrible.
> >
> >The phone goes from 2 bars to no bars in 2 second flat !
> >
> >Ok I am exaggerating but when it does get to 2 bars it drains rapidly to
> >beeping low battery.
> >
> >They advertise this phone with :
> >Digital Talk Time: 7 Hrs
> >
> >Digital Standby Time: 7 Days
> >
> >I don't think it's even close
> >
> > I don't care if you charge it every hour or every month or keep it on
the
> >charger all day
> >
> >The advertisement is false
> >
> >Even knowing the V551 is a great phone it's heart is weak.
> >
> >I will finish by saying that I will keep this phone but I will take it to
> >the doctor for regular checks ;-)
> >
> >*PS* Not much use of multimedia so no drain there.

Related resources
May 7, 2005 9:03:05 PM

It's not me that says so. It's Motorola, the folks who designed and
manufactured the V551. The 7 days talk time is obviously a mis-print.
Motorola shows a MAXIMUM of 7 HOURS talk time. Cingular is using the
maximum, but clearly made an error in days vs hours. There is no
phone made to my knowledge that could talk continuously for 7 days.
That should have been obvious.

On Sat, 07 May 2005 17:03:04 GMT, "\"AERO\"" <no@spam.com> wrote:

>Ok if you say so but I bought the phone thru cingular my comment stands as
>false advertisement (check link)
>
>It calls for 7sb / 7tt
>
>http://onlinestore.cingular.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servl...
>

>"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
>> The Motorola specifications for this phone are 3.7 HOURS (220 minutes)
>> talk time (on the low side) and 7.46 DAYS (179 hours) standby time.
>> That means no talking. My experience along with others in this
>> newsgroup is around 3 days between charges with a moderate amount of
>> talk time. If you have Bluetooth turned on, it will significantly
>> affect your battery time.
>>
>> It is a great phone. I don't mind the 3 day charge time when the
>> Startac 7868W I replaced with the V551 needed charging every day or
>> more often. It's really not that big a deal to plug it in every 3
>> nights and take it off the charger in the morning.
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 9:03:06 PM

> It's not me that says so. It's Motorola, the folks who designed and
> manufactured the V551. The 7 days talk time is obviously a mis-print.
> Motorola shows a MAXIMUM of 7 HOURS talk time. Cingular is using the
> maximum, but clearly made an error in days vs hours. There is no
> phone made to my knowledge that could talk continuously for 7 days.
> That should have been obvious.
>

> On Sat, 07 May 2005 17:03:04 GMT, "\"AERO\"" <no@spam.com> wrote:
>
>>Ok if you say so but I bought the phone thru cingular my comment stands
>>as
>>false advertisement (check link)
>>
>>It calls for 7sb / 7tt
>>
>>http://onlinestore.cingular.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servl...
>>

>>"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
>>> The Motorola specifications for this phone are 3.7 HOURS (220 minutes)
>>> talk time (on the low side) and 7.46 DAYS (179 hours) standby time.
>>> That means no talking. My experience along with others in this
>>> newsgroup is around 3 days between charges with a moderate amount of
>>> talk time. If you have Bluetooth turned on, it will significantly
>>> affect your battery time.
>>>
>>> It is a great phone. I don't mind the 3 day charge time when the
>>> Startac 7868W I replaced with the V551 needed charging every day or
>>> more often. It's really not that big a deal to plug it in every 3
>>> nights and take it off the charger in the morning.

Try this:
http://search.ebay.com/battery-door-V551_W0QQsofocusZbs...

Not positive, but I think the OEM battery # is SNN5705, wife has one on her
V400 and works great, she's not here so I can't check the battery number.

bamp
May 8, 2005 5:32:12 PM

The manufacturer talk and standby times "up to" are based upon GSM systems
that use the highest battery savings features in the network. For standby
the term is DRX9. DRX can be from 2-9.

Cingular certainly doesn't use this but still chooses to advertise the max.
So manufacturers spec. the widest range and the individual network operator
should quote based upon their network settings. Some operators globally use
higher settings and some lower.

Cingular should quote talk and standby times based upon their network
features.

--
Steve
"bamp" <bampatcenturyteldotnet> wrote in message

> "Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
>> It's not me that says so. It's Motorola, the folks who designed and
>> manufactured the V551. The 7 days talk time is obviously a mis-print.
>> Motorola shows a MAXIMUM of 7 HOURS talk time. Cingular is using the
>> maximum, but clearly made an error in days vs hours. There is no
>> phone made to my knowledge that could talk continuously for 7 days.
>> That should have been obvious.
>>

>> On Sat, 07 May 2005 17:03:04 GMT, "\"AERO\"" <no@spam.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Ok if you say so but I bought the phone thru cingular my comment stands
>>>as
>>>false advertisement (check link)
>>>
>>>It calls for 7sb / 7tt
>>>
>>>http://onlinestore.cingular.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servl...
>>>

>>>"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message

> Try this:
> http://search.ebay.com/battery-door-V551_W0QQsofocusZbs...
>
> Not positive, but I think the OEM battery # is SNN5705, wife has one on
> her V400 and works great, she's not here so I can't check the battery
> number.
>
> bamp

May 9, 2005 1:29:40 PM

I charge mine about once a week. Only use it a couple of times a day
though. Silly question but, when you first got the phone, did you
charge it fully? Like 24 hours?

You may want to try a new battery.

John

On Sat, 07 May 2005 15:17:09 GMT, "\"AERO\"" <no@spam.com> wrote:

>I just purchase a v551, I love the phone it has lot of neat features,
>strong signal But the battery management it's just horrible.
>
>The phone goes from 2 bars to no bars in 2 second flat !
>
>Ok I am exaggerating but when it does get to 2 bars it drains rapidly to a
>beeping low battery.
>
>They advertise this phone with :
>Digital Talk Time: 7 Hrs
>
>Digital Standby Time: 7 Days
>
>I don't think it's even close
>
> I don't care if you charge it every hour or every month or keep it on the
>charger all day
>
>The advertisement is false
>
>Even knowing the V551 is a great phone it's heart is weak.
>
>I will finish by saying that I will keep this phone but I will take it to
>the doctor for regular checks ;-)
>
>*PS* Not much use of multimedia so no drain there.

May 9, 2005 4:00:02 PM

Spectrum wrote:
> I charge mine about once a week. Only use it a couple of times a day
> though. Silly question but, when you first got the phone, did you
> charge it fully? Like 24 hours?
>
> You may want to try a new battery.
>
> John
>
> On Sat, 07 May 2005 15:17:09 GMT, "\"AERO\"" <no@spam.com> wrote:
>

>>I just purchase a v551, I love the phone it has lot of neat features,
>>strong signal But the battery management it's just horrible.
>>
>>The phone goes from 2 bars to no bars in 2 second flat !
>>
>>Ok I am exaggerating but when it does get to 2 bars it drains rapidly to a
>>beeping low battery.
>>
>>They advertise this phone with :
>>Digital Talk Time: 7 Hrs
>>
>>Digital Standby Time: 7 Days
>>
>>I don't think it's even close
>>
>>I don't care if you charge it every hour or every month or keep it on the
>>charger all day
>>
>>The advertisement is false
>>
>>Even knowing the V551 is a great phone it's heart is weak.
>>
>>I will finish by saying that I will keep this phone but I will take it to
>>the doctor for regular checks ;-)
>>
>>*PS* Not much use of multimedia so no drain there.

I agree with John that the battery needs to be fully charged (i.e. for
23 hours) when new. I had the same problem at first because I was too
eager to try out my new V551 as soon as the phone displayed "charging
complete" in 3.5 hours! For remedy, I had it fully discharged and then
recharged for 24 hours (Note: Don't do it any longer!) and repeated this
process a few times. Although I am only an occasional user of the
phone, I now notice that the battery indicator remains full for for a
couple of days, and I am happy with its power consumption rate which is
comparable with my previous Motorola C375. Give it a try!

davidT
May 11, 2005 4:20:12 PM

turn bluetooth off.

""AERO"" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
>I just purchase a v551, I love the phone it has lot of neat features,
> strong signal But the battery management it's just horrible.
>
> The phone goes from 2 bars to no bars in 2 second flat !
>
> Ok I am exaggerating but when it does get to 2 bars it drains rapidly to a
> beeping low battery.
>
> They advertise this phone with :
> Digital Talk Time: 7 Hrs
>
> Digital Standby Time: 7 Days
>
> I don't think it's even close
>
> I don't care if you charge it every hour or every month or keep it on the
> charger all day
>
> The advertisement is false
>
> Even knowing the V551 is a great phone it's heart is weak.
>
> I will finish by saying that I will keep this phone but I will take it to
> the doctor for regular checks ;-)
>
> *PS* Not much use of multimedia so no drain there.

Anonymous
May 12, 2005 3:09:54 AM

On Mon, 09 May 2005 12:00:02 -0400, davidT
<tdavid@removethisfirst.rogers.com> wrote:

>Spectrum wrote:
>> I charge mine about once a week. Only use it a couple of times a day
>> though. Silly question but, when you first got the phone, did you
>> charge it fully? Like 24 hours?
>>
>> You may want to try a new battery.
>>
>> John
>>
>> On Sat, 07 May 2005 15:17:09 GMT, "\"AERO\"" <no@spam.com> wrote:
>>

>>>I just purchase a v551, I love the phone it has lot of neat features,
>>>strong signal But the battery management it's just horrible.
>>>
>>>The phone goes from 2 bars to no bars in 2 second flat !
>>>
>>>Ok I am exaggerating but when it does get to 2 bars it drains rapidly to a
>>>beeping low battery.
>>>
>>>They advertise this phone with :
>>>Digital Talk Time: 7 Hrs
>>>
>>>Digital Standby Time: 7 Days
>>>
>>>I don't think it's even close
>>>
>>>I don't care if you charge it every hour or every month or keep it on the
>>>charger all day
>>>
>>>The advertisement is false
>>>
>>>Even knowing the V551 is a great phone it's heart is weak.
>>>
>>>I will finish by saying that I will keep this phone but I will take it to
>>>the doctor for regular checks ;-)
>>>
>>>*PS* Not much use of multimedia so no drain there.
>>>

>I agree with John that the battery needs to be fully charged (i.e. for
>23 hours) when new. I had the same problem at first because I was too
>eager to try out my new V551 as soon as the phone displayed "charging
>complete" in 3.5 hours! For remedy, I had it fully discharged and then
>recharged for 24 hours (Note: Don't do it any longer!) and repeated this
>process a few times. Although I am only an occasional user of the
>phone, I now notice that the battery indicator remains full for for a
>couple of days, and I am happy with its power consumption rate which is
>comparable with my previous Motorola C375. Give it a try!
>
>davidT

So does continue charging the battery even after it displays "Charging
Complete", for 23-24 hours cause any damage to the battery? Also, is
there any way to fully discharge a battery without having to wait by
leaving the phone on and using it through a menu function on the
phone?
May 12, 2005 10:37:50 AM

Korey Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 09 May 2005 12:00:02 -0400, davidT
> <tdavid@removethisfirst.rogers.com> wrote:
>

>>Spectrum wrote:
>>
>>>I charge mine about once a week. Only use it a couple of times a day
>>>though. Silly question but, when you first got the phone, did you
>>>charge it fully? Like 24 hours?
>>>
>>>You may want to try a new battery.
>>>
>>>John

>>I agree with John that the battery needs to be fully charged (i.e. for
>>23 hours) when new. I had the same problem at first because I was too
>>eager to try out my new V551 as soon as the phone displayed "charging
>>complete" in 3.5 hours! For remedy, I had it fully discharged and then
>>recharged for 24 hours (Note: Don't do it any longer!) and repeated this
>>process a few times. Although I am only an occasional user of the
>>phone, I now notice that the battery indicator remains full for for a
>>couple of days, and I am happy with its power consumption rate which is
>>comparable with my previous Motorola C375. Give it a try!
>>
>>davidT
>

> So does continue charging the battery even after it displays "Charging
> Complete", for 23-24 hours cause any damage to the battery? Also, is
> there any way to fully discharge a battery without having to wait by
> leaving the phone on and using it through a menu function on the
> phone?

I only understand that total charging time of over 24 hours may damage
the battery. All I have been doing is keep charging it for 23 to 24
hours, so that it is fully charged by "trickle charge". I don't know any
quick way to fully discharge a battery, and should appreciate it very
much if someone can advise. TIA

davidT
May 12, 2005 12:40:32 PM

On Wed, 11 May 2005 12:20:12 -0400, <user> wrote:

>turn bluetooth off.
>
>""AERO"" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
>>I just purchase a v551, I love the phone it has lot of neat features,
>> strong signal But the battery management it's just horrible.
>>
>> The phone goes from 2 bars to no bars in 2 second flat !
>>
>> Ok I am exaggerating but when it does get to 2 bars it drains rapidly to a
>> beeping low battery.
>>
>> They advertise this phone with :
>> Digital Talk Time: 7 Hrs
>>
>> Digital Standby Time: 7 Days
>>
>> I don't think it's even close
>>
>> I don't care if you charge it every hour or every month or keep it on the
>> charger all day
>>
>> The advertisement is false
>>
>> Even knowing the V551 is a great phone it's heart is weak.
>>
>> I will finish by saying that I will keep this phone but I will take it to
>> the doctor for regular checks ;-)
>>
>> *PS* Not much use of multimedia so no drain there.

It does say clearly in most Motorola manuals that it takes a few charges
for the battery to reach its full potential and that diminished capacity
will be seen when the phone is new.

--

Regards

John [Essex, UK]
Remove the obvious spamtrap to reply
Anonymous
May 13, 2005 3:18:54 PM

On Wed, 11 May 2005 23:09:54 -0500, Korey Smith <ksmith56@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>So does continue charging the battery even after it displays "Charging
>Complete", for 23-24 hours cause any damage to the battery?

My V180 manual tells me that it does no harm, and I've noticed that
the power supply unit is warm while charging, but cools down when the
charge is complete. This would seem to indicate that the phone turns
the charging power off when it's fully charged.

> Also, is there any way to fully discharge a battery without having to
> wait by leaving the phone on and using it through a menu function
> on the phone?

I fully discharge the V180 by opening a game. This keeps the screen
illuminated, which discharges the battery. It goes from 1 full
battery bar to dead in about an hour or so. It then takes 3 1/2 hours
to fully charge it.
Anonymous
May 22, 2005 11:36:11 PM

Get a different phone.
We purchased two V551 phones a few weeks apart at our company. They
both would last 1 1/2 days tops with 1-5 short calls. I had mine
replaced and the new one works excellent. I can easily go 5 days with
calls no problem.
My co worker is in the process of exchanging his as well. We both have
had cell phones for a number of years. That first batch had some kind
of problem. I think it must have been a software flaw or something.
John

--
jmumme