V551 Battery Life is Short

I just purchase a v551, I love the phone it has lot of neat features,
strong signal But the battery management it's just horrible.

The phone goes from 2 bars to no bars in 2 second flat !

Ok I am exaggerating but when it does get to 2 bars it drains rapidly to a
beeping low battery.

They advertise this phone with :
Digital Talk Time: 7 Hrs

Digital Standby Time: 7 Days

I don't think it's even close

I don't care if you charge it every hour or every month or keep it on the
charger all day

The advertisement is false

Even knowing the V551 is a great phone it's heart is weak.

I will finish by saying that I will keep this phone but I will take it to
the doctor for regular checks ;-)

*PS* Not much use of multimedia so no drain there.
13 answers Last reply
More about v551 battery life short

    The Motorola specifications for this phone are 3.7 HOURS (220 minutes)
    talk time (on the low side) and 7.46 DAYS (179 hours) standby time.
    That means no talking. My experience along with others in this
    newsgroup is around 3 days between charges with a moderate amount of
    talk time. If you have Bluetooth turned on, it will significantly
    affect your battery time.

    It is a great phone. I don't mind the 3 day charge time when the
    Startac 7868W I replaced with the V551 needed charging every day or
    more often. It's really not that big a deal to plug it in every 3
    nights and take it off the charger in the morning.

    On Sat, 07 May 2005 15:17:09 GMT, "\"AERO\"" <no@spam.com> wrote:

    >I just purchase a v551, I love the phone it has lot of neat features,
    >strong signal But the battery management it's just horrible.
    >
    >The phone goes from 2 bars to no bars in 2 second flat !
    >
    >Ok I am exaggerating but when it does get to 2 bars it drains rapidly to a
    >beeping low battery.
    >
    >They advertise this phone with :
    >Digital Talk Time: 7 Hrs
    >
    >Digital Standby Time: 7 Days
    >
    >I don't think it's even close
    >
    > I don't care if you charge it every hour or every month or keep it on the
    >charger all day
    >
    >The advertisement is false
    >
    >Even knowing the V551 is a great phone it's heart is weak.
    >
    >I will finish by saying that I will keep this phone but I will take it to
    >the doctor for regular checks ;-)
    >
    >*PS* Not much use of multimedia so no drain there.

    Ok if you say so but I bought the phone thru cingular my comment stands as
    false advertisement (check link)

    It calls for 7sb / 7tt

    http://onlinestore.cingular.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ES_PHONE_COMPARE.jsp?subOrderId=1&phoCompareList=413400%2C458710&cntSelectedPho=2&isPostpaid=true&x=37&y=10

    "Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
    > The Motorola specifications for this phone are 3.7 HOURS (220 minutes)
    > talk time (on the low side) and 7.46 DAYS (179 hours) standby time.
    > That means no talking. My experience along with others in this
    > newsgroup is around 3 days between charges with a moderate amount of
    > talk time. If you have Bluetooth turned on, it will significantly
    > affect your battery time.
    >
    > It is a great phone. I don't mind the 3 day charge time when the
    > Startac 7868W I replaced with the V551 needed charging every day or
    > more often. It's really not that big a deal to plug it in every 3
    > nights and take it off the charger in the morning.
    >

    > On Sat, 07 May 2005 15:17:09 GMT, "\"AERO\"" <no@spam.com> wrote:
    >
    > >I just purchase a v551, I love the phone it has lot of neat features,
    > >strong signal But the battery management it's just horrible.
    > >
    > >The phone goes from 2 bars to no bars in 2 second flat !
    > >
    > >Ok I am exaggerating but when it does get to 2 bars it drains rapidly to
    > >beeping low battery.
    > >
    > >They advertise this phone with :
    > >Digital Talk Time: 7 Hrs
    > >
    > >Digital Standby Time: 7 Days
    > >
    > >I don't think it's even close
    > >
    > > I don't care if you charge it every hour or every month or keep it on
    the
    > >charger all day
    > >
    > >The advertisement is false
    > >
    > >Even knowing the V551 is a great phone it's heart is weak.
    > >
    > >I will finish by saying that I will keep this phone but I will take it to
    > >the doctor for regular checks ;-)
    > >
    > >*PS* Not much use of multimedia so no drain there.

    It's not me that says so. It's Motorola, the folks who designed and
    manufactured the V551. The 7 days talk time is obviously a mis-print.
    Motorola shows a MAXIMUM of 7 HOURS talk time. Cingular is using the
    maximum, but clearly made an error in days vs hours. There is no
    phone made to my knowledge that could talk continuously for 7 days.
    That should have been obvious.

    > It's not me that says so. It's Motorola, the folks who designed and
    > manufactured the V551. The 7 days talk time is obviously a mis-print.
    > Motorola shows a MAXIMUM of 7 HOURS talk time. Cingular is using the
    > maximum, but clearly made an error in days vs hours. There is no
    > phone made to my knowledge that could talk continuously for 7 days.
    > That should have been obvious.
    >

    > On Sat, 07 May 2005 17:03:04 GMT, "\"AERO\"" <no@spam.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Ok if you say so but I bought the phone thru cingular my comment stands
    >>as
    >>false advertisement (check link)
    >>
    >>It calls for 7sb / 7tt
    >>
    >>http://onlinestore.cingular.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ES_PHONE_COMPARE.jsp?subOrderId=1&phoCompareList=413400%2C458710&cntSelectedPho=2&isPostpaid=true&x=37&y=10
    >>

    >>"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
    >>> The Motorola specifications for this phone are 3.7 HOURS (220 minutes)
    >>> talk time (on the low side) and 7.46 DAYS (179 hours) standby time.
    >>> That means no talking. My experience along with others in this
    >>> newsgroup is around 3 days between charges with a moderate amount of
    >>> talk time. If you have Bluetooth turned on, it will significantly
    >>> affect your battery time.
    >>>
    >>> It is a great phone. I don't mind the 3 day charge time when the
    >>> Startac 7868W I replaced with the V551 needed charging every day or
    >>> more often. It's really not that big a deal to plug it in every 3
    >>> nights and take it off the charger in the morning.

    Try this:
    http://search.ebay.com/battery-door-V551_W0QQsofocusZbsQQsbrftogZ1QQcatrefZC6QQsojsZ1QQfromZR10QQsacatZ-1QQcatrefZC6QQsargnZ-1QQsaslcZ2QQsadisZ200QQfposZQ5AIPQ2FPostalQQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQfsopZ1QQfsooZ1

    Not positive, but I think the OEM battery # is SNN5705, wife has one on her
    V400 and works great, she's not here so I can't check the battery number.

    bamp

    The manufacturer talk and standby times "up to" are based upon GSM systems
    that use the highest battery savings features in the network. For standby
    the term is DRX9. DRX can be from 2-9.

    Cingular certainly doesn't use this but still chooses to advertise the max.
    So manufacturers spec. the widest range and the individual network operator
    should quote based upon their network settings. Some operators globally use
    higher settings and some lower.

    Cingular should quote talk and standby times based upon their network
    features.

    --
    Steve
    "bamp" <bampatcenturyteldotnet> wrote in message

    > "Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
    >> It's not me that says so. It's Motorola, the folks who designed and
    >> manufactured the V551. The 7 days talk time is obviously a mis-print.
    >> Motorola shows a MAXIMUM of 7 HOURS talk time. Cingular is using the
    >> maximum, but clearly made an error in days vs hours. There is no
    >> phone made to my knowledge that could talk continuously for 7 days.
    >> That should have been obvious.
    >>

    >> On Sat, 07 May 2005 17:03:04 GMT, "\"AERO\"" <no@spam.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Ok if you say so but I bought the phone thru cingular my comment stands
    >>>as
    >>>false advertisement (check link)
    >>>
    >>>It calls for 7sb / 7tt
    >>>
    >>>http://onlinestore.cingular.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ES_PHONE_COMPARE.jsp?subOrderId=1&phoCompareList=413400%2C458710&cntSelectedPho=2&isPostpaid=true&x=37&y=10
    >>>

    >>>"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message

    > Try this:
    > http://search.ebay.com/battery-door-V551_W0QQsofocusZbsQQsbrftogZ1QQcatrefZC6QQsojsZ1QQfromZR10QQsacatZ-1QQcatrefZC6QQsargnZ-1QQsaslcZ2QQsadisZ200QQfposZQ5AIPQ2FPostalQQftrtZ1QQftrvZ1QQfsopZ1QQfsooZ1
    >
    > Not positive, but I think the OEM battery # is SNN5705, wife has one on
    > her V400 and works great, she's not here so I can't check the battery
    > number.
    >
    > bamp

    I charge mine about once a week. Only use it a couple of times a day
    though. Silly question but, when you first got the phone, did you
    charge it fully? Like 24 hours?

    You may want to try a new battery.

    John

    Spectrum wrote:
    > I charge mine about once a week. Only use it a couple of times a day
    > though. Silly question but, when you first got the phone, did you
    > charge it fully? Like 24 hours?
    >
    > You may want to try a new battery.
    >
    > John
    >
    > On Sat, 07 May 2005 15:17:09 GMT, "\"AERO\"" <no@spam.com> wrote:
    >

    >>I just purchase a v551, I love the phone it has lot of neat features,
    >>strong signal But the battery management it's just horrible.
    >>
    >>The phone goes from 2 bars to no bars in 2 second flat !
    >>
    >>Ok I am exaggerating but when it does get to 2 bars it drains rapidly to a
    >>beeping low battery.
    >>
    >>They advertise this phone with :
    >>Digital Talk Time: 7 Hrs
    >>
    >>Digital Standby Time: 7 Days
    >>
    >>I don't think it's even close
    >>
    >>I don't care if you charge it every hour or every month or keep it on the
    >>charger all day
    >>
    >>The advertisement is false
    >>
    >>Even knowing the V551 is a great phone it's heart is weak.
    >>
    >>I will finish by saying that I will keep this phone but I will take it to
    >>the doctor for regular checks ;-)
    >>
    >>*PS* Not much use of multimedia so no drain there.

    I agree with John that the battery needs to be fully charged (i.e. for
    23 hours) when new. I had the same problem at first because I was too
    eager to try out my new V551 as soon as the phone displayed "charging
    complete" in 3.5 hours! For remedy, I had it fully discharged and then
    recharged for 24 hours (Note: Don't do it any longer!) and repeated this
    process a few times. Although I am only an occasional user of the
    phone, I now notice that the battery indicator remains full for for a
    couple of days, and I am happy with its power consumption rate which is
    comparable with my previous Motorola C375. Give it a try!

    davidT

    turn bluetooth off.

    ""AERO"" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
    >I just purchase a v551, I love the phone it has lot of neat features,
    > strong signal But the battery management it's just horrible.
    >
    > The phone goes from 2 bars to no bars in 2 second flat !
    >
    > Ok I am exaggerating but when it does get to 2 bars it drains rapidly to a
    > beeping low battery.
    >
    > They advertise this phone with :
    > Digital Talk Time: 7 Hrs
    >
    > Digital Standby Time: 7 Days
    >
    > I don't think it's even close
    >
    > I don't care if you charge it every hour or every month or keep it on the
    > charger all day
    >
    > The advertisement is false
    >
    > Even knowing the V551 is a great phone it's heart is weak.
    >
    > I will finish by saying that I will keep this phone but I will take it to
    > the doctor for regular checks ;-)
    >
    > *PS* Not much use of multimedia so no drain there.

    On Mon, 09 May 2005 12:00:02 -0400, davidT
    <tdavid@removethisfirst.rogers.com> wrote:

    >Spectrum wrote:
    >> I charge mine about once a week. Only use it a couple of times a day
    >> though. Silly question but, when you first got the phone, did you
    >> charge it fully? Like 24 hours?
    >>
    >> You may want to try a new battery.
    >>
    >> John
    >>
    >> On Sat, 07 May 2005 15:17:09 GMT, "\"AERO\"" <no@spam.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>I just purchase a v551, I love the phone it has lot of neat features,
    >>>strong signal But the battery management it's just horrible.
    >>>
    >>>The phone goes from 2 bars to no bars in 2 second flat !
    >>>
    >>>Ok I am exaggerating but when it does get to 2 bars it drains rapidly to a
    >>>beeping low battery.
    >>>
    >>>They advertise this phone with :
    >>>Digital Talk Time: 7 Hrs
    >>>
    >>>Digital Standby Time: 7 Days
    >>>
    >>>I don't think it's even close
    >>>
    >>>I don't care if you charge it every hour or every month or keep it on the
    >>>charger all day
    >>>
    >>>The advertisement is false
    >>>
    >>>Even knowing the V551 is a great phone it's heart is weak.
    >>>
    >>>I will finish by saying that I will keep this phone but I will take it to
    >>>the doctor for regular checks ;-)
    >>>
    >>>*PS* Not much use of multimedia so no drain there.
    >>>

    >I agree with John that the battery needs to be fully charged (i.e. for
    >23 hours) when new. I had the same problem at first because I was too
    >eager to try out my new V551 as soon as the phone displayed "charging
    >complete" in 3.5 hours! For remedy, I had it fully discharged and then
    >recharged for 24 hours (Note: Don't do it any longer!) and repeated this
    >process a few times. Although I am only an occasional user of the
    >phone, I now notice that the battery indicator remains full for for a
    >couple of days, and I am happy with its power consumption rate which is
    >comparable with my previous Motorola C375. Give it a try!
    >
    >davidT

    So does continue charging the battery even after it displays "Charging
    Complete", for 23-24 hours cause any damage to the battery? Also, is
    there any way to fully discharge a battery without having to wait by
    leaving the phone on and using it through a menu function on the
    phone?
  10. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    Korey Smith wrote:
    > On Mon, 09 May 2005 12:00:02 -0400, davidT
    > <tdavid@removethisfirst.rogers.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Spectrum wrote:
    >>
    >>>I charge mine about once a week. Only use it a couple of times a day
    >>>though. Silly question but, when you first got the phone, did you
    >>>charge it fully? Like 24 hours?
    >>>
    >>>You may want to try a new battery.
    >>>
    >>>John

    >>I agree with John that the battery needs to be fully charged (i.e. for
    >>23 hours) when new. I had the same problem at first because I was too
    >>eager to try out my new V551 as soon as the phone displayed "charging
    >>complete" in 3.5 hours! For remedy, I had it fully discharged and then
    >>recharged for 24 hours (Note: Don't do it any longer!) and repeated this
    >>process a few times. Although I am only an occasional user of the
    >>phone, I now notice that the battery indicator remains full for for a
    >>couple of days, and I am happy with its power consumption rate which is
    >>comparable with my previous Motorola C375. Give it a try!
    >>
    >>davidT
    >

    > So does continue charging the battery even after it displays "Charging
    > Complete", for 23-24 hours cause any damage to the battery? Also, is
    > there any way to fully discharge a battery without having to wait by
    > leaving the phone on and using it through a menu function on the
    > phone?

    I only understand that total charging time of over 24 hours may damage
    the battery. All I have been doing is keep charging it for 23 to 24
    hours, so that it is fully charged by "trickle charge". I don't know any
    quick way to fully discharge a battery, and should appreciate it very
    much if someone can advise. TIA

    davidT
  11. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    On Wed, 11 May 2005 12:20:12 -0400, <user> wrote:

    >turn bluetooth off.
    >
    >""AERO"" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
    >>I just purchase a v551, I love the phone it has lot of neat features,
    >> strong signal But the battery management it's just horrible.
    >>
    >> The phone goes from 2 bars to no bars in 2 second flat !
    >>
    >> Ok I am exaggerating but when it does get to 2 bars it drains rapidly to a
    >> beeping low battery.
    >>
    >> They advertise this phone with :
    >> Digital Talk Time: 7 Hrs
    >>
    >> Digital Standby Time: 7 Days
    >>
    >> I don't think it's even close
    >>
    >> I don't care if you charge it every hour or every month or keep it on the
    >> charger all day
    >>
    >> The advertisement is false
    >>
    >> Even knowing the V551 is a great phone it's heart is weak.
    >>
    >> I will finish by saying that I will keep this phone but I will take it to
    >> the doctor for regular checks ;-)
    >>
    >> *PS* Not much use of multimedia so no drain there.

    It does say clearly in most Motorola manuals that it takes a few charges
    for the battery to reach its full potential and that diminished capacity
    will be seen when the phone is new.

    --

    Regards

    John [Essex, UK]
    Remove the obvious spamtrap to reply
  12. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    On Wed, 11 May 2005 23:09:54 -0500, Korey Smith <ksmith56@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >So does continue charging the battery even after it displays "Charging
    >Complete", for 23-24 hours cause any damage to the battery?

    My V180 manual tells me that it does no harm, and I've noticed that
    the power supply unit is warm while charging, but cools down when the
    charge is complete. This would seem to indicate that the phone turns
    the charging power off when it's fully charged.

    > Also, is there any way to fully discharge a battery without having to
    > wait by leaving the phone on and using it through a menu function
    > on the phone?

    I fully discharge the V180 by opening a game. This keeps the screen
    illuminated, which discharges the battery. It goes from 1 full
    battery bar to dead in about an hour or so. It then takes 3 1/2 hours
    to fully charge it.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.cellular.motorola (More info?)

    Get a different phone.
    We purchased two V551 phones a few weeks apart at our company. They
    both would last 1 1/2 days tops with 1-5 short calls. I had mine
    replaced and the new one works excellent. I can easily go 5 days with
    calls no problem.
    My co worker is in the process of exchanging his as well. We both have
    had cell phones for a number of years. That first batch had some kind
    of problem. I think it must have been a software flaw or something.
    John

    --
    jmumme

Motorola Battery Phones