Network Office Printer Setup Problem

shuucyril

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
I have a problem regarding my office's internet and printer setup.

The wireless printer used to work until we had switched our ISP. We got a new cable and router that replaced the old but the printer is still recognising the old router (which doesn't have any internet connection now).

The setup is like this:

Cable Modem <===> Central Router <---> Printer Router <===> Printer

So basically the only things that are line-connected are the modem to the central router and the printer to the printer's little router (nothing directly connected between the printer and the modem or the central router).

All computers are connected to the internet via the central router.

What should I do?

It sounds like the new router uses a different IP scheme and/or a different wireless password.

what you refer to as a Printer Router is it a Print Server? What is the model number?

you either change the IP on the Print Router manually to match the IP scheme of the new router and it's wireless password, or you reset the printer router and reconfigure it from scratch.

shuucyril

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
The main router is Cisco Linksys E1200.
The printer router is a 3com OfficeConnect Wireless 11g Cable/DSL Gateway (3CRWE55G72).

The thing is, I can't or don't know how to configure the 3Com printer router. It used to work with the old ISP before I joined the company. I didn't have to deal with that router before then, so I have no clue how it worked in the very first place.

There is a software that comes with it "Discovery v5.0" but since the printer router can't connect to the internet, I can't install that software. Neither could I login to the local IP 192.168.x.y for router configuration for the 3Com. I could only login to the Linksys one.

if you look at one of the computers that used to be able to print, go to the port tab under the printer properties and it should show the IP of the print router.
is it the same IP scheme then the computers are using now (are the first three Octets the same 192.168.1.xxx)?

shuucyril

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
I figured the problem. The 3com cannot set WPA pass codes that's why it wasn't able to access the linksys. I'm using network computers to reach the wired printer instead.