Sign in with
Your question

CRT monitor has "check signal cable" message

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
March 19, 2004 6:10:12 PM

Ok, my buddy restarted his computer one day and the monitor would not kick on(no signal message). It's a 19" CRT monitor.
We thought for sure it was the gfx card at first, tried another gfx card, did not work. Then i unplugged the monitor from the case and slid a peice of metal over the pins(stupid, i know what that can do), the monitor would flicker on for a second. So we thought it was somehow the motherboard. Tried another motherboard, did not work. So we brought the monitor to my house and tried it on my pc, worked fine.

The computer starts up, all fans start running and all that, no beeps because i think i messed up the internal speaker on it a while back.

Amd Athlon64 3200+
MSI motherboard
768 mb corsair ddr 3200 ram
ATI Radeon 9600

So now this is where im at, the only thing that could be the problem that we didnt replace was the PSU. Could the PSU cause the monitor to not have a signal when plugged in?

I also found out that he turned the little red switch to 220 or whatever and fired it up then quick put that switch back. (this was a while back, and we did get the computer running ok after he did this). Yea i know that was stupid, but knowing him, it did not surprise me.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
April 12, 2004 6:05:41 PM

your resolution and/or refresh rate is probably unsupported by the monitor... boot to save mode and move everything back to back to normal.
!