Sudden data loose.

svol

Champion
I have 2 back-up and storage HDs in my system on the secondary slave of my HPT372 onboard RAID controller both in FAT32 mode with Win2k SP3 (but happened with SP2 too).
I got a very strange problem where my FAT tables get corrupted with unknown cause and I have to reformat my drives again. Luckely I'm able to recover all data with GetDataBack but once a while one or all of my HDs is suddenly empty... which happened again today.

I did a full system scan 2 weeks ago and I'm going to do another when I got my data back.

I don't have a clue why this happens, anyone has an explanation?

My PC eats so much money that I'm in 'desperate' need of it to buy PC3500 RAM, help Svol with his OC project!
--- PM me for information.

svol

Champion
New scan found no virusses and I was able to recover most of the data.
Can any of you recommend other programs I can use to recover data as GetDataBack can't find all.

My PC eats so much money that I'm in 'desperate' need of it to buy PC3500 RAM, help Svol with his OC project!
--- PM me for information.

svol

Champion
Okay it happened again yesterday. I already did change the IDE cable with a new one weeks ago and I scanned my HD for virusses several times... I still don't have an explanation, does any of you have a clue?

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
How about sending all your hardware to me for "thourough" testing.?

<b>You will die.
If you are lucky you may last ten decades.
If you are especially lucky you will be
remembered for another 5 decades.</b>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
How about sending all your hardware to me for "thourough" testing.?

<b>You will die.
If you are lucky you may last ten decades.
If you are especially lucky you will be
remembered for another 5 decades.</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've seen that problem on a Western Digital drive when the PCI bus was slightly overclocked.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

svol

Champion
The problem is that it wasn't OC'ed when it happened in December. I'm going to try if an NTFS partition works better.

My dual-PSU PC is so powerfull that the neighbourhood dimms when I turn it on :eek:

ciuly

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
I used R-Studio and it works ok on recovering data from virus damage, but still not 100% accurate.

Romania is a beautiful country, unfortunately it's inhabited.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Last time I had an NTFS partition corrupted I had great difficulty retrieving things and lost some files.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
I have 2 back-up and storage HDs in my system on the secondary slave of my HPT372 onboard RAID controller
You have two disks attached to the secondary slave of your RAID controller? Bizare! Or do you mean you have two disks on each IDE channel of the RAID controller in the slave position. I would immeadiately wonder, what is in the master position and does this happen if the discs are attached to a different IDE controller? Are you using UDMA mode 5? Do you have the UDMA patch installed for Win2K (maybe it's in SP3 I don't know, stopped using Win2K ages ago)? Does this happen under WinXP? Are you using the lastest HPT372 driver? Is it WHQL certified?

Recovering the data should be no problem, just copy back from your tape / CD backups.

svol

Champion
A little typo, those two discs are on the secondary channel as master (Maxtor 15.3GB) and slave (6GB Seagate).
I don't have different IDE channels unused to test the HDs and I don't want to connect the primary channel RAID 0 array on it because if that one fails I will loose everything.
The Maxtor 15.3GB HD is in UDMA 4 mode, the Seagate in UDMA 3. As far as I know I have the ATA66 patch installed for Win2k. I use the latest HPT driver (2.34) but none of the HPT drivers are WHQL signed. I don't have WinXP so I can't try it there.

svol

Champion
Ok the NTFS partition got corrupted today and I had to reformat it to get it working again... looks like 'the problem' hit again.
I have still no clue what is causing it... I did several trojan scans but found nothing. WTF can be causing this? Is my motherboard bad?