baz55

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
I have an old cable modem; virgin type that only accepts a single Ethernet connector. have recently bought a couple of Wi-Fi capable tablets and
added a pci-based wireless adaptor to my pc. this works fine except that I have to have the pc booted up to use it. the price of a new router from
virgin - or anywhere else is more than I want to pay :whistle:
ideally, I should like to be able to turn on the modem with the Ethernet cable removed and a wireless access point in the vacant slot! is this possible?
and what would I need to achieve it? I assume that I would need to power the device separately...is this called a bridge? sorry, very ignorant...
any advice/putdown welcomed.

baz55

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008

hi emerald and thanx for your input. unfortunately, gear is not so cheap in the UK! and newegg is not available to me.
it seems that the following configuration is necessary:
http://microcentertechsupport.blogspot.co.uk/2012/01/networking-with-wireless-access-point.html
I have scrolled down and found the whole thing far too complicated for me :sweat:
guess i'll wait until I can afford to have an expert do it for me, and continue using my pc indefinitely!!!
thanx again

setting up a wireless router is usually very easy since most of them come withe a installation CD

for highest security use WPA2 wireless mode

how about this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001FWYGJS/ref=asc_df_B001FWYGJS10842084?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=googlecouk06-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B001FWYGJS#

baz55

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008

oh, okay then :ange: i'll buy that one...seem to be a few dud ones in the batch, but what the hell. most of the recipients
are happy with their purchase and say it's a doddle to configure; with and without the cd.
just one question please. as I am only using this for Wi-Fi connection to a Samsung s Wi-Fi 4.2 and a nexus 7, how do I prevent the neighbourhood from latching on to it: security-wise?

baz55

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008

does that mean that when I boot up the device (say nexus) and see the access point, and choose it, it will ask for that password?
I assume that this is configurable on the pc when I do the install?
sorry, trying to imagine what is going to happen...all new to me. thanx for taking the time.

baz55

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008

okay, i'll give it a go....
obliged to you for your time and assistance
regards