NS10 tweeters

Last response: in Home Audio
December 15, 2004 11:28:12 AM

Quick question for any that may know: does yamaha still manufacture
replacement tweeters for ns10's? I know they don't make the woofers
any more, but I've seen tweeters in other yamaha speakers (i.e. MSP-5
or similar) that look a lot like the ns10 tweeters.

Thanks!

Dan Lynn

More about : ns10 tweeters

Anonymous
December 15, 2004 3:44:34 PM

On 15 Dec 2004 08:28:12 -0800, dan_lynn@hotmail.com wrote:

>Quick question for any that may know: does yamaha still manufacture
>replacement tweeters for ns10's? <snip>

No...thank god.

dB
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 5:12:48 PM

DeserTBoB wrote:

> No...thank god.
>
> dB
<snip>

Eh...no big loss. Just looking for a set of odd-ball mix check
monitors. Thanks!
December 15, 2004 10:43:02 PM

yamaha stopped selling ns-10's because the white paper in the woofers
was made from a wood pulp that has become scarce in the world. not as
in illegal forresting, more like some sort of general annoyance of
sourcing it and overall concisousness to move on to new things.

you could still get replacement woofers, it was just that they stopped
selling new speakers so they could wind down over time.
that's my undersanding of it.
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 10:44:00 PM

yamaha stopped selling ns-10's because the white paper in the woofers
was made from a wood pulp that has become scarce in the world. not as
in illegal forresting, more like some sort of general annoyance of
sourcing it and overall concisousness to move on to new things.

you could still get replacement woofers, it was just that they stopped
selling new cabinets so they could wind down over time.
that's my undersanding of it.
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 3:31:42 AM

On 15 Dec 2004 14:12:48 -0800, dan_lynn@hotmail.com wrote:

>Eh...no big loss. Just looking for a set of odd-ball mix check
>monitors. Thanks!

Anybody want a whole (right) speaker (NS10M)?
Could be a special mono mix test!

Chris Hornbeck
"If we gave your unit armor, we'd have to give
it to everybody" -Big Don
December 16, 2004 6:32:24 AM

In article <rg81s0tklkhsijecpsd9f715ladckruf9r@4ax.com>, DeserTBoB
<desertb@rglobal.net> wrote:

> On 15 Dec 2004 08:28:12 -0800, dan_lynn@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> >Quick question for any that may know: does yamaha still manufacture
> >replacement tweeters for ns10's? <snip>
>
> No...thank god.
>
> dB

Last time I checked, you could buy a tweeter or woofer for an ns-10
direct from Yammy. Give em a call with your credit card handy.

I'm sure they've got quite a markup for them, they sold for $50 a pop.
It was the white colored woofer supposedly was made with a rare wood
they said caused them to stop manufacturing the speaker.

I thought they just wanted to sell drivers with huge mark ups for the
huge installed base rather than continuing the raise the price for the
entire speaker.

I wouldn't be shocked if at some point Yamaha does a special, short run
ns-10 rip your wallet commemorative edition. If I was a vp in their pro
audio division, I'd be all over it. Kinda like Neumann doing gold 87's
and charging thru the nose for it.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

CelebrationSound@aol.com
www.CelebrationSound.com
December 16, 2004 6:33:13 AM

In article <pll1s05a2eh3mhn5pq030gv9in6lmgck9e@4ax.com>, Chris Hornbeck
<chrishornbeckremovethis@att.net> wrote:

> Anybody want a whole (right) speaker (NS10M)?
> Could be a special mono mix test!
>
> Chris Hornbeck
> "If we gave your unit armor, we'd have to give
> it to everybody" -Big Don

Put it on ebay, you won't have any trouble selling it.

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

CelebrationSound@aol.com
www.CelebrationSound.com
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 9:57:48 AM

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 03:33:13 GMT, david <ihate@spamo.com> wrote:

>Put it on ebay, you won't have any trouble selling it.

That's my next career move. I've only held off this long in
order to give the American economy some recovery time.
Because when all the stuff accumulated around here hits
the open market, we'll be talking major economic dislocation
and worldwide defenestrations.

Diversify yer investments, kids, is all I can suggest,

Chris Hornbeck
"If we gave your unit armor, we'd have to give
it to everybody" -Big Don
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 9:15:59 PM

$119 at Sam Ash in NYC.
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 9:51:38 PM

last time i called yamaha they had gone from 49.99 each to somewhere around 80.
scott spelbring | recording + interactive | dragonflyeast.com
Anonymous
December 17, 2004 12:10:02 AM

there's no way they would kill off a product like that intentionally.
a consistent seller with huge margins that they don't have to sink any
r&d or marketing into. just a pure profit on the balance sheet each
quarter. besides, how many companies get to boast of a "legendary"
piece of gear?

it has to be the wood pulp supply thing.
Anonymous
December 17, 2004 7:00:39 AM

genericaudioperson@hotmail.com wrote:

> yamaha stopped selling ns-10's because the white paper in the woofers
> was made from a wood pulp that has become scarce in the world. not as
> in illegal forresting, more like some sort of general annoyance of
> sourcing it and overall concisousness to move on to new things.

You know I've never really been convinced by that excuse. I'm sure they
could have made an NS-10A with similar performance.

Maybe Yamaha themselves wanted to kill off the monster they had created ?

Graham
Anonymous
December 17, 2004 9:14:23 AM

On 16 Dec 2004 21:10:02 -0800, genericaudioperson@hotmail.com wrote:

>it has to be the wood pulp supply thing.

Just looking at the two trees in my back yard threatening the house
(and a few neighbors' houses) and the oak in the front yard, that
can personally generate two feet (no exaggeration) of leaves every
fall, I'd have to calculate the number of trees required, worldwide,
to fulfill the NS10M replacement woofer cone quota as a number between
zero and one.

This of course discounts the Sands of Mount Fuji factor.

Chris Hornbeck
"If we gave your unit armor, we'd have to give
it to everybody" -Big Don
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 1:19:16 AM

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 06:57:48 GMT, Chris Hornbeck
<chrishornbeckremovethis@att.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 03:33:13 GMT, david <ihate@spamo.com> wrote:
>
>>Put it on ebay, you won't have any trouble selling it.
>
>That's my next career move. I've only held off this long in
>order to give the American economy some recovery time.
>Because when all the stuff accumulated around here hits
>the open market, we'll be talking major economic dislocation
>and worldwide defenestrations.
>
>Diversify yer investments, kids, is all I can suggest, <snip>

It's a little worse than that. The economy will continue to tank.
The dollar is softening at an almost record rate. I've dumped all my
US dollars for Canadian and Aussie dollars and Euros, and have made
28% in just one year. The Chinese have us almost completely
"deindustrialized." Bush has taken the same path of "benign neglect"
with respect to the dollar as did his predecessors Nixon and
"RayGun", but with one important flaw...those two clowns had at least
some US industry with which to apply leverage to get the dollar's fall
under control again. Bush the Dumber has no such instrument.

Also, China has let the RMB fall along WITH the dollar, making them
even MORE competitive for factory work, and greedy corporate hogs are
offshoring even faster this year with help from a completely out of
touch Bush White House. Once China sees that the US is sufficiently
"deindustrialized," they will float the RMB and it will rise
meteorically against the dollar, allowing the Chinese to buy dollars
at pennies on the 2000 dollar, thus effectively controlling the US
financial markets. Look at the dollar's performance since Bush was
"annointed": Dollar down against the yen 22%. Dollar down against
the Euro 55%. Dollar down against the Aussie and Canadian dollars
almost the same. Bush, of course, has his head firmly up his ass, and
flippantly says, "Well, we can fix this trade deffy-sit...jus' have
people buy American products." Yoo hoo...dumbass...there ARE no
American products to SELL!

I predict the Canuck dollar will rise to at least US$1.45, and the
Aussie dollar will probably reach par, maybe above. The Euro will
reach at least 2 to 1...and all the idiots on Wall Street were
laughing at the Euro. Hate to tell the Repukes and Wall Streeters,
but the EU now has a unified currency AND their GNP is higher than
ours. Their unemployment is also lower in real terms, since the US
DoL has lied about US unemployment figures since RayGun's first term,
where his handlers felt that the real figures would embarrass the
idiot.

My view: Dump ALL US equities and T-bills by early next year.
Convert cash funds into Canuck and Aussie dollars and Euros in 33%
segments. Gold will go up some more, but not much more before double
digit inflation tanks the US economy in an inflation blood bath
that'll make the '70s look like "economic stability," making it Bush's
THIRD and permanent recession. If Bush continues to avoid raising
taxes, the dollar could be in free fall by 2006...just in time to get
his toadies thrown out of the Congress.

Don't be a chump. Let the Repukes take the hit. Diverify and save
your ass. The US as an investment target is OVER, probably for
decades.

dB
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 8:23:05 AM

You have to buy an account in those currencies .Try Everbank--they have
everthing--even the Chinese RMB. Don't forget, the dollar is falling
against the Brit £ too.

http://www.everbank.com/main.asp?affid=eb

bob
Anonymous
December 20, 2004 10:57:55 AM

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 22:19:16 -0800, DeserTBoB <desertb@rglobal.net>
wrote:

<lotsa hard truth snipped>

Well, yeah, but E-bay will surely save us...

After all, this is America,
Isn't it?

Chris Hornbeck
December 20, 2004 12:00:31 PM

In article <nqpcs0p4vkhtmcd8ij6kb8f0f18ufucso9@4ax.com>, DeserTBoB
<desertb@rglobal.net> wrote:

> [...]
> ours. Their unemployment is also lower in real terms, since the US
> DoL has lied about US unemployment figures since RayGun's first term,
> where his handlers felt that the real figures would embarrass the
> idiot.
>
> My view: Dump ALL US equities and T-bills by early next year.
> Convert cash funds into Canuck and Aussie dollars and Euros in 33%
> segments. Gold will go up some more, but not much more before double
> digit inflation tanks the US economy in an inflation blood bath
> that'll make the '70s look like "economic stability," making it Bush's
> THIRD and permanent recession. If Bush continues to avoid raising
> taxes, the dollar could be in free fall by 2006...just in time to get
> his toadies thrown out of the Congress.
>
> Don't be a chump. Let the Repukes take the hit. Diverify and save
> your ass. The US as an investment target is OVER, probably for

Jeez, an interesting post here on rap ;>

I know how to buy stocks and mutual funds. How does a regular schmuck
buy the Canuck or Aussie Dollar or the Euro?

David Correia
Celebration Sound
Warren, Rhode Island

CelebrationSound@aol.com