Sign in with
Your question

Home theater PC Question

Last response: in Components
January 2, 2003 3:22:27 PM

I've read a bunch of articles realing to building a HTPC, but what if I dont have a reciver? The real question is, Is there a sound card that will take an external signal (e.g. from a PS2 or other DVD player) and decode Dolby digital or DTS? I would just get a dvd drive, but I dont feel like messing around with a PC to play DVD's. (especially when I have "company" over.)

More about : home theater question

January 3, 2003 1:41:03 AM

You could do that, but I have a better suggestion: Get an All In Wonder 7500 or newer, or a Remote Wonder. Then you can play DVD's using a hot button on the ATI remote without using any menu on the PC.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
January 3, 2003 2:02:44 PM

I'm in the process of putting finishing touches on my HTPC. I've never tried to use my HTPC without a reciever so I can't give you a definate answer. But I can tell you that if you have a SB Live or Audigy you can get an Optical daughter card from Creative that Has optical In/Out as well as coaxial in/out. This will probably be your best choice.

And I'd say the ATI All in Wonder is a must for any HTPC. Besides that the 7500 is relatively cheap for what it gives you.

---------------------------------------
phr0Ze
Related resources
January 3, 2003 6:26:25 PM

Im looking at the Extigy. it has an optical input, and the review said it can be used as a stand alone decoder. what do you think??

As big as a geek I may be at times, I still remember one important fact:
YOUR COMPUTER DOES NOT LOVE YOU
But at the same time your PC wont call you, not say anyting, then hang up.
January 3, 2003 7:03:47 PM

Crash, have you tried the Remote Wonder? How is it?

Now that I am using a single monitor for both computer and TV viewing I discovered I prefer DVD-ROM playback better than DVD standalone/TV playback (not that this is bad). However, I hate watching movies without a remote control so I have been thinking about the Remote Wonder.

<b>99% is great, unless you are talking about system stability</b>
January 3, 2003 9:20:19 PM

No, I haven't tried it, but it should offer the same remote controlls as the AIW cards are now offering, so that you can play DVD's, CD's, and files (if you set it up first) from the remote without having to use menus.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
January 4, 2003 4:02:19 AM

Well I definitely like the idea of Remote Wonder.

My complaint about home theater PC's is that PC's are not quiet enough. (OK so mine isn't quiet enough). The ATI Remote Wonder is a radio frequency remote control. It doesn't need line-of-site like IR remotes. The HTPC can go in a closet or in a cabinet!

January 6, 2003 2:22:02 PM

thanks for the feedback, it helped AOLT.
to bad you really cant express sarcasm on message boards

As big as a geek I may be at times, I still remember one important fact:
YOUR COMPUTER DOES NOT LOVE YOU
But at the same time your PC wont call you, not say anyting, then hang up.
January 6, 2003 4:28:02 PM

AOLT?

!