Help w/ stereo mic technique

Last response: in Home Audio
December 15, 2004 9:08:20 PM

Hello group.
Am I correct in assuming that if I use a matched pair of
cardioid mics in an XY or ORTF configuration, that I should
hard pan the mono channels in the mixer right and left, and
use a stereo channel in the recording software (eg Cubase SX)
to capture this?
Or should the mixer channels be centered. I will experiment,
but I would like to know the generally accepted technique,
so I know what I am listening for.

TIA

More about : stereo mic technique

Anonymous
December 15, 2004 9:08:21 PM

Phil Chamney <spam_chams@thisplace.ca> wrote:

>Am I correct in assuming that if I use a matched pair of
>cardioid mics in an XY or ORTF configuration, that I should
>hard pan the mono channels in the mixer right and left, and
>use a stereo channel in the recording software (eg Cubase SX)
>to capture this?

Yes, unless you want to deliberately collapse the stereo image, as part
of using the stereo pair in a more complex mix.

>Or should the mixer channels be centered. I will experiment,
>but I would like to know the generally accepted technique,
>so I know what I am listening for.

If you center them, you will have mono. And there's nothing wrong
with mono, but there are easier ways to get it.
--scott

December 15, 2004 9:21:36 PM

<< Am I correct in assuming that if I use a matched pair of
cardioid mics in an XY or ORTF configuration, that I should
hard pan the mono channels in the mixer right and left,>>

Yes, so that the left mic goes only out the left channel output, etc. And of
course you know, in XY the left channel mic is the one that's physically on the
right as you're facing the source.

<< and
use a stereo channel in the recording software (eg Cubase SX)
to capture this?>>

Stereo or two mono tracks, doesn't really matter, except that any inserts on
dual mono tracks have to be precisely copied on both.

<<Or should the mixer channels be centered. >>

No, this will send each mic equally to both left & right outputs, unless you
are using direct outs, in which case panning doesn't matter.

Scott Fraser
December 16, 2004 7:47:11 PM

Thanks gentlemen, that is what I thought.
Now off to experiment...
December 20, 2004 5:25:45 AM

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> Phil Chamney <spam_chams@thisplace.ca> wrote:
>
>>Am I correct in assuming that if I use a matched pair of
>>cardioid mics in an XY or ORTF configuration, that I should
>>hard pan the mono channels in the mixer right and left, and
>>use a stereo channel in the recording software (eg Cubase SX)
>>to capture this?
>

> Yes, unless you want to deliberately collapse the stereo image, as part
> of using the stereo pair in a more complex mix.
>

>>Or should the mixer channels be centered. I will experiment,
>>but I would like to know the generally accepted technique,
>>so I know what I am listening for.
>

> If you center them, you will have mono. And there's nothing wrong
> with mono, but there are easier ways to get it.
> --scott

On playback right? One should leave the pots centered (no added phase
shift,etc.) during recording shouldn't one?

--
Robert A. Ober
Join Linux-Server

Nobody wrote:
> Scott Dorsey wrote:
> > Phil Chamney <spam_chams@thisplace.ca> wrote:

> > If you center them, you will have mono. And there's nothing wrong
> > with mono, but there are easier ways to get it.
> > --scott
> >

> On playback right? One should leave the pots centered (no added
phase
> shift,etc.) during recording shouldn't one?
>

> --
> Robert A. Ober

>No, this will send each mic equally to both left & right outputs,
unless you
>are using direct outs, in which case panning doesn't matter.
>
>Scott Fraser

when recording, pots need panned to appropriate single channel, one
left, one right.
Anonymous
December 21, 2004 4:04:52 AM

Nobody <nobody@nobody.com> wrote:

>On playback right? One should leave the pots centered (no added phase
>shift,etc.) during recording shouldn't one?

Not if you want stereo. Panning everything to the center will give you
nice mono, whether you are recording or playing back or whatever.
--scott