ATI AIW 9700 PRO AND MATROX RT.X100

saulatz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
I almost decided about buying a Matorx RT.X100 for my video editing after reading all the reviews, but after having a discusion with one of my friend, I'm in a fix again. He discourages my buying the Matrox and throwing away that much of money. He suggests ATI AIW 9700 PRO. His points are:

- Matrox gives ADOBE Premier but I already has the software.
- I hardly needs Matrox so-called better analog capture inputs as, almost all my work involves DV video editing.
- Also, I'll have to buy a graphics card to run with Matrox, which is not the case with ATI.
- I got a TV tuner in ATI, which is not there in Matrox.
- Of course ATI is cheaper then Matrox.

The only thing which Matrox provides is real-time capturing. What exactly is this real-time capturing? And what u guys suggest me? Is Matrox RT.X100 is really worth?

Thx.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Real Time capturing is recording at full speed. LIke TiVO does. Matrox might be able to do that at a higher resolution than ATI. But the ATI will probably do. If you go with ATI, make sure you use the MPEG2 format instead of the ATI proprietary format for your recordings.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

saulatz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
What if i dont go for any compression? Like i transfer the DV movie through FireWire and edit using Adobe Premier and then write back to DV tape. Correct me if I'm wrong but do i need to capture in MPEG2? I think when just transfering DV it goes as AVI file with no compression and then I just put it back on the tape. And also Premier says some real-time preview, etc, so if its the software which provides real-time effects and transition then what the hardware like matrox provides? Is is just to suppliment the software?

Also, if i just need to take in DV format then it can only be done with any IEEE 1394 port. For that, I even don't need ATI 9500 PRO AIW. And how ATI helps in MPEG2 encoding over a normal 1394 port?