Is there a CD Recorder-player/turntable/dual cassette deck..

Last response: in Home Audio
December 15, 2004 5:48:47 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

As the turntable/CD Player/dual cassette deck stereo dies (worthless Aiwa
hunk of junk, the cassette decks died within months..) I find myself
wishing there were a device that combines these elements with a CD
Recorder. Pop your vinyl on the turntable, press a button, and voila! A
CD! As easy as making tapes from your albums!

Does such a thing even exist? In the works?

Thanks if you can help.

RW

--
--------------------------------------
"I'm a Slytherin, Potter," Malfoy reminded him.

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 14:48:47 -0600, Rebecca Webb <webbrl@mrs.umn.edu> wrote:
>As the turntable/CD Player/dual cassette deck stereo dies (worthless Aiwa
>hunk of junk, the cassette decks died within months..) I find myself
>wishing there were a device that combines these elements with a CD
>Recorder. Pop your vinyl on the turntable, press a button, and voila! A
>CD! As easy as making tapes from your albums!

>Does such a thing even exist? In the works?
No. There never has and there never will. There's no intersection
between vinyl and CDR.

Buy a turntable; buy a receiver with a phono imput or also buy a phono
preamp; buy a cd recorder. Duct tape them together.
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 12:35:36 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

: As the turntable/CD Player/dual cassette deck stereo dies (worthless Aiwa
: hunk of junk, the cassette decks died within months..) I find myself
: wishing there were a device that combines these elements with a CD

There exists at least one:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/drives/6908/

I'm not recommending it 'cause if I want a good x-fer I will use an expensive
cassette deck and an expensive converters. But if you're after the convenience,
there you go.

: Recorder. Pop your vinyl on the turntable, press a button, and voila! A
: CD! As easy as making tapes from your albums!

http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?index.htm

Click on record players and look for:
Gemini PDT6000 Digital 3 Speed Turntable

It seems to have S/PDIF out and analog out without a need for pre-amp. Again,
I don't think it's a high end thing.

--Leonid
December 16, 2004 12:35:37 AM

In article <cpqan8$9jh$1@news3.bu.edu> venom@csa2.bu.edu writes:

> : As the turntable/CD Player/dual cassette deck stereo dies (worthless Aiwa
> : hunk of junk, the cassette decks died within months..) I find myself
> : wishing there were a device that combines these elements with a CD
>
> There exists at least one:
> http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/drives/6908/

Where's the turntable?

> : Recorder. Pop your vinyl on the turntable, press a button, and voila! A
> : CD! As easy as making tapes from your albums!
>
> http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?index.htm

Where's the turntable? Where's the CD recorder? What question do you
think you're answering with these useless links?

To answer the original poster, nobody makes a single unit that does
what you want. There are turntalbes, there are cassete players, there
are cassette + CD players (which won't do you much good) and there are
CD recorders. Plenty of components that you can put together to get
where you want to be, but nobody has integrated such a system into a
single box.

I might add that it can be a pain to make a good CD of a vinyl record,
or more accurately, a CD that's comparable to a commercial CD. The
short explanation for this is the lack of "CD Mastering" when you
simply copy a record on to a CD. It'll play OK, but there will be one
problem you'll notice immediately - the CD isn't as loud as the rest
of your CDs. Another problem will be with the placement of the track
index markers. Most CD recorders have the capability to automatically
create a new track when there's silence in the band between cuts on
the record, but if there's surface noise, it might get confused and
write some extraneous tracks, or if the pause is too short, might miss
one.

It's relatively easy to make a CD that's essentially the equivalent of
a cassette, with no indexing, but people have come to expect that if
it looks like a CD, they'll have the ability to play individual
tracks. If you want this, it will take some effort.

December 16, 2004 1:11:41 AM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Mike Rivers" wrote...
> To answer the original poster, nobody makes a single unit that does
> what you want. There are turntalbes, there are cassete players, there
> are cassette + CD players (which won't do you much good) and there are
> CD recorders. Plenty of components that you can put together to get
> where you want to be, but nobody has integrated such a system into a
> single box.

Looks like somebody found the tooling for some old record-changer
and is packaging it together with radio, CD, etc....
http://www.crosleyradio.com/products/stacker/index.html
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 10:56:21 AM

"Rebecca Webb" <webbrl@mrs.umn.edu> wrote in message

> As the turntable/CD Player/dual cassette deck stereo dies (worthless
> Aiwa hunk of junk, the cassette decks died within months..) I find
> myself wishing there were a device that combines these elements with
> a CD Recorder. Pop your vinyl on the turntable, press a button, and
> voila! A CD! As easy as making tapes from your albums!

Given the vanishing market share for vinyl and vinyl playback equipment, I
doubt you'll ever see such a thing at a popular price.
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 12:38:54 PM

In article <10s29ouk4vv33ac@corp.supernews.com> rcrowley7@xprt.net writes:

> Looks like somebody found the tooling for some old record-changer
> and is packaging it together with radio, CD, etc....
> http://www.crosleyradio.com

Where's the CD recorder? The record player isn't a problem.

December 16, 2004 12:49:31 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

In article <5qydnZslWJJ7GFzcRVn-sQ@comcast.com>,
Arny Krueger <arnyk@hotpop.com> wrote:
>"Rebecca Webb" <webbrl@mrs.umn.edu> wrote in message
>
>> As the turntable/CD Player/dual cassette deck stereo dies (worthless
>> Aiwa hunk of junk, the cassette decks died within months..) I find
>> myself wishing there were a device that combines these elements with
>> a CD Recorder. Pop your vinyl on the turntable, press a button, and
>> voila! A CD! As easy as making tapes from your albums!
>
>Given the vanishing market share for vinyl and vinyl playback equipment, I
>doubt you'll ever see such a thing at a popular price.

Actually, it's increasing right now. I don't know how long that increase
will remain, but it's weird. Not that I am complaining at all.
--scott
December 16, 2004 1:36:37 PM

> In article <5qydnZslWJJ7GFzcRVn-sQ@comcast.com>,
> Arny Krueger <arnyk@hotpop.com> wrote:
>> "Rebecca Webb" <webbrl@mrs.umn.edu> wrote in message
>>
>>> As the turntable/CD Player/dual cassette deck stereo dies (worthless
>>> Aiwa hunk of junk, the cassette decks died within months..) I find
>>> myself wishing there were a device that combines these elements with
>>> a CD Recorder. Pop your vinyl on the turntable, press a button, and
>>> voila! A CD! As easy as making tapes from your albums!
>>
>> Given the vanishing market share for vinyl and vinyl playback
>> equipment, I doubt you'll ever see such a thing at a popular price.
>
> Actually, it's increasing right now.

http://www.riaa.com/news/marketingdata/pdf/2003consumer...

shows that LP sales are falling and the lowest they've been in 10 years.

http://www.riaa.com/news/newsletter/pdf/2004midYrStats....

Shows flat LP volumes, but declining dollar amounts at mid-year, suggesting
significant sales at clearance.

Contrast that with increasing CD sales and volumes.
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 1:53:12 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Arny Krueger <arnyk@hotpop.com> wrote:
>"Scott Dorsey" <kludge@panix.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Given the vanishing market share for vinyl and vinyl playback
>>> equipment, I doubt you'll ever see such a thing at a popular price.
>>
>> Actually, it's increasing right now.
>
>http://www.riaa.com/news/marketingdata/pdf/2003consumer...
>
>shows that LP sales are falling and the lowest they've been in 10 years.
>
>http://www.riaa.com/news/newsletter/pdf/2004midYrStats....
>
>Shows flat LP volumes, but declining dollar amounts at mid-year, suggesting
>significant sales at clearance.

Weird. It would be really interesting to see that split between the DJ
and audiophile markets. Because, in fact, there really are two totally
different LP markets that don't seem to intersect at all.

I am seeing a real boom in LP production right now. More so than just can
be accounted for by the Christmas season. But then again, I'm not doing
any DJ pressings.
--scott
December 16, 2004 1:56:04 PM

> Arny Krueger <arnyk@hotpop.com> wrote:

>>> Actually, it's increasing right now.
>>
>> http://www.riaa.com/news/marketingdata/pdf/2003consumer...
>>
>> shows that LP sales are falling and the lowest they've been in 10
>> years.
>>
>> http://www.riaa.com/news/newsletter/pdf/2004midYrStats....
>>
>> Shows flat LP volumes, but declining dollar amounts at mid-year,
>> suggesting significant sales at clearance.
>
> Weird. It would be really interesting to see that split between the
> DJ and audiophile markets. Because, in fact, there really are two
> totally different LP markets that don't seem to intersect at all.

I agree.

Looking at hardware sales, it seems like the DJ market is far larger.

> I am seeing a real boom in LP production right now. More so than
> just can be accounted for by the Christmas season. But then again,
> I'm not doing any DJ pressings.

Great!
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 1:56:33 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

Thanks for all the input! RW

--
--------------------------------------
"I'm a Slytherin, Potter," Malfoy reminded him.
"We're very good at counting to six."
http://cda.mrs.umn.edu/~webbrl/SalazarsOrphans/
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 3:06:25 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 10:36:37 -0500, "Arny Krueger" <arnyk@hotpop.com>
wrote:

>http://www.riaa.com/news/marketingdata/pdf/2003consumer...
>
>shows that LP sales are falling and the lowest they've been in 10 years.

Once again, you've got it wrong.

So what's new?
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 5:47:08 PM

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

"Rebecca Webb" <webbrl@mrs.umn.edu> wrote in message
> As the turntable/CD Player/dual cassette deck stereo dies (worthless Aiwa
> hunk of junk, the cassette decks died within months..) I find myself
> wishing there were a device that combines these elements with a CD
> Recorder.

The first junky one you tried wasn't enough aggravation for you - you want
to line up to do it again?
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 5:47:09 PM

"jeffc" <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> "Rebecca Webb" <webbrl@mrs.umn.edu> wrote in message
>> As the turntable/CD Player/dual cassette deck stereo dies (worthless
>> Aiwa hunk of junk, the cassette decks died within months..) I find
>> myself wishing there were a device that combines these elements with
>> a CD Recorder.
>
> The first junky one you tried wasn't enough aggravation for you - you
> want to line up to do it again?

Good point!

Buying quality within reason is generally a good strategy.
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 7:13:52 PM

In rec.audio.pro Mike Rivers <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote:
: > There exists at least one:
: > http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/drives/6908/

: Where's the turntable?

: > : Recorder. Pop your vinyl on the turntable, press a button, and voila! A
: > : CD! As easy as making tapes from your albums!
: >
: > http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?index.htm

: Where's the turntable? Where's the CD recorder? What question do you
: think you're answering with these useless links?

There's no all in one solution. But these are the closest things she can
get to what she want, ok?

The USB tape deck is probably the easiest way to x-fer tapes to CDRs
using computer.

The second link introduces a turntable that can be plugged directly to the
computer soundcard without the need to pre-amp.

All in one? Forget such a thing. Do it yourself.

--Leonid
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 7:13:53 PM

"Leonid Makarovsky" <venom@csa2.bu.edu> wrote in message
> In rec.audio.pro Mike Rivers <mrivers@d-and-d.com> wrote:
>>> There exists at least one:
>>> http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/drives/6908/
>
>> Where's the turntable?

>>> http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?index.htm
>

>> Where's the turntable? Where's the CD recorder? What question do you
>> think you're answering with these useless links?
>
> There's no all in one solution. But these are the closest things she
> can get to what she want, ok?
>
> The USB tape deck is probably the easiest way to x-fer tapes to CDRs
> using computer.

Last one I saw mentioned here had no Dolby support.

> The second link introduces a turntable that can be plugged directly
> to the computer soundcard without the need to pre-amp.

> All in one? Forget such a thing. Do it yourself.

Agreed.
Anonymous
December 16, 2004 7:14:18 PM

"Rebecca Webb" <webbrl@mrs.umn.edu> a écrit dans le message de news:
webbrl-1512041448470001@educ-dyn6.mrs.umn.edu...
> As the turntable/CD Player/dual cassette deck stereo dies (worthless Aiwa
> hunk of junk, the cassette decks died within months..) I find myself
> wishing there were a device that combines these elements with a CD
> Recorder. Pop your vinyl on the turntable, press a button, and voila! A
> CD! As easy as making tapes from your albums!
>
> Does such a thing even exist? In the works?
>
> Thanks if you can help.
>
> RW

> "I'm a Slytherin, Potter," Malfoy reminded him.
> "We're very good at counting to six."
> http://cda.mrs.umn.edu/~webbrl/SalazarsOrphans/

LP and/or Tape to CD.

If you want to get good results, you'll have to work on it.
( Or pay someone to do it for you)

My way here : http://www.a-reny.com/iexplorer/restauration.html

--
Allen Reny
http://www.a-reny.com

Archived from groups: rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.pro (More info?)

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 14:48:47 -0600, webbrl@mrs.umn.edu (Rebecca Webb)
wrote:

>As the turntable/CD Player/dual cassette deck stereo dies (worthless Aiwa
>hunk of junk, the cassette decks died within months..) I find myself
>wishing there were a device that combines these elements with a CD
>Recorder. Pop your vinyl on the turntable, press a button, and voila! A
>CD! As easy as making tapes from your albums!
>
>Does such a thing even exist? In the works? <snip>

Sounds like the perfect market target for one of those Soundesign
disco ball specials with a cheap CD burner in it. LMAO!

Get real. Get a good quality TT with a GOOD cartridge, a good phono
stage, and a good burner. Anything that's "all in one" is aimed at
idiots.

dB
!