Razr won't charge with wall chargers

Last response: in Brands
Share
May 10, 2005 8:21:05 AM

i have two different wall chargers for the razr and neither of them works
with the phone. once in a while one of them works for a few minutes and
then stops. i have taken the battery out and put it back in with no change.
the car charger works just fine. any ideas other than a defective phone.
thanks
Anonymous
May 10, 2005 10:29:05 AM

What model numbers are on the chargers? Have you tried plugging them in
different outlets?

From:Irv
irving@ktb.net

> i have two different wall chargers for the razr and neither of them
> works with the phone. once in a while one of them works for a few
> minutes and then stops. i have taken the battery out and put it back
> in with no change. the car charger works just fine. any ideas other
> than a defective phone. thanks
May 10, 2005 6:41:09 PM

one charger is hh-stc001a which outputs 5v-11v dc. i have tried different
outlets. the charger light goes on when plugged in. i am not using the L
shaped connector since i don't have it. does that make a difference. i can
charge using a usb cable on a computer with mpt installed. i will try the
cable on a computer without mpt and see what happens. any ideas on the wall
chargers. they both have the 5 pin usb connector.

> What model numbers are on the chargers? Have you tried plugging them in
> different outlets?
>
>> i have two different wall chargers for the razr and neither of them
>> works with the phone. once in a while one of them works for a few
>> minutes and then stops. i have taken the battery out and put it back
>> in with no change. the car charger works just fine. any ideas other
>> than a defective phone. thanks

May 10, 2005 10:47:55 PM

In article <9K3ge.7350$hb1.3551@trnddc05>, Irv <irving@ktb.net> wrote:

>one charger is hh-stc001a which outputs 5v-11v dc. i have tried different
>outlets. the charger light goes on when plugged in. i am not using the L
>shaped connector since i don't have it. does that make a difference. i can
>charge using a usb cable on a computer with mpt installed. i will try the
>cable on a computer without mpt and see what happens. any ideas on the wall
>chargers. they both have the 5 pin usb connector.
>
>> What model numbers are on the chargers? Have you tried plugging them in
>> different outlets?
>>
>>> i have two different wall chargers for the razr and neither of them
>>> works with the phone. once in a while one of them works for a few
>>> minutes and then stops. i have taken the battery out and put it back
>>> in with no change. the car charger works just fine. any ideas other
>>> than a defective phone. thanks

First you have to wait up to 20 secs for the phone to report that it is
charging.

Second, for some mysterious reason, I find it makes a difference what
order the power is applied. For example, plug the charger into the wall
and switch it on and then connect to the phone = no charge. Connect
charger to phone then plug in to wall and switch on = charge. And
sometimes when not charging, turn off and on again at the wall and
charging starts.

Stan
Anonymous
May 11, 2005 12:21:19 AM

Is that a Motorola brand charger or aftermarket version? The model
numbers for Motorola units are different. I have an aftermarket charger
that works and several Motorola ones. I've found though that some
aftermarket chargers are just junk and can actually damage a phone or
battery. Try the Motorola charger if what you have isn't one and see if
that solves it.

From:Irv
irving@ktb.net

> one charger is hh-stc001a which outputs 5v-11v dc. i have tried
> different outlets. the charger light goes on when plugged in. i am
> not using the L shaped connector since i don't have it. does that
> make a difference. i can charge using a usb cable on a computer with
> mpt installed. i will try the cable on a computer without mpt and
> see what happens. any ideas on the wall chargers. they both have
> the 5 pin usb connector.
>> What model numbers are on the chargers? Have you tried plugging them
>> in different outlets?
>>
>>> i have two different wall chargers for the razr and neither of them
>>> works with the phone. once in a while one of them works for a few
>>> minutes and then stops. i have taken the battery out and put it back
>>> in with no change. the car charger works just fine. any ideas other
>>> than a defective phone. thanks
May 11, 2005 8:15:11 AM

my other charger is a motorola charger and it doesn't work either. i will
try Stan's thoughts about the order of connection and will report back.
"
> Is that a Motorola brand charger or aftermarket version? The model numbers
> for Motorola units are different. I have an aftermarket charger that
> works and several Motorola ones. I've found though that some aftermarket
> chargers are just junk and can actually damage a phone or battery. Try
> the Motorola charger if what you have isn't one and see if that solves it.
>
> From:Irv
> irving@ktb.net
>
>> one charger is hh-stc001a which outputs 5v-11v dc. i have tried
>> different outlets. the charger light goes on when plugged in. i am
>> not using the L shaped connector since i don't have it. does that
>> make a difference. i can charge using a usb cable on a computer with
>> mpt installed. i will try the cable on a computer without mpt and
>> see what happens. any ideas on the wall chargers. they both have
>> the 5 pin usb connector.
>>> What model numbers are on the chargers? Have you tried plugging them
>>> in different outlets?

Anonymous
May 11, 2005 12:32:53 PM

It could be that yer charger's 'kaput' as mine was when the box
arrived...!!!

Further more I find that charger plugged into wall-socket and then
into phone works a treat.
May 11, 2005 6:32:48 PM

guess i am having trouble understanding that two new wall chargers went bad.
getting a usb cable for the office computer. getting some y adapters to
charge phone and bluetooth headset together and hopefully that will take
care of my wall charger problem. won't worry about until i travel with the
phone and need a wall charger.

> It could be that yer charger's 'kaput' as mine was when the box
> arrived...!!!
>
> Further more I find that charger plugged into wall-socket and then
> into phone works a treat.
November 29, 2013 5:20:33 AM

I have Razr Maxx and have had some problems with charging.. In my case it turned out to be the chargers. I only use Motorola brad chargers in the house and in the car. They are more expensive but as stated before if the chargers aren't motorola brand they may do bad things to the phones. I paid $750 for mine so I could keep my unlimited plan so I sure can't be zapping the internal battery OR the charging system by using elcheapo chargers.

With that said. I found my problem to be that the chargers wear out very quickly and do not connect well. The one in my car gets used much less and therefor did not present a prob;em as quickly. In my case replacing the cable on the chargers every so often fixes the problem. In today"s market nothing is made to last. Why would they want something to last? They can't sell replacements if they last. I have never owned a phone that wasn't Motorola brand. They were the best until they sold out...now they are about like the rest. They design them to take a dump just before the contract ends so we must shell out more $$ to replace them. I have never had a problem with charging any of them until the Maxx. The Maxx is the first model I owned since Motorola sold out also.

Not saying this is your problem but it is worth looking into. IF you find this to be your problem Amazon sells the replacement Motorola cords for under $10. Hope this helps.
!