Saving my favorites from old drive to new drive?

85bj60

Honorable
May 26, 2012
hi,
i got a newly built system with windows 7 pro and i want to transfer my favorites from my old system with windows XP. can it be done? or can i install the old drive into the new system and leave windows XP on it, that is the question?

thx,
85bj60

Flareside

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
If your old OS is Windows XP the can be found in the "C:\Documents & Settings\(profile name)\favorites" You can either copy the folder and merge it with the folder in Windows 7 found at "C:\users\(profile name)\Favorites" or copy the contents of the folder and paste them into the favorites folder in Windows 7.

Flare

You should be able to Export your weblinks from your web browser to a file and Import them into the same web browser in your Win7 installation.

You can attach your WinXP HDD as extra storage drive to the new system. As such it will not be bootable and you won't be able to run WinXP and its installed programs.

But you could setup a dual boot setup, giving yourself a choice of running WinXP or Win7. The WinXP installation won't have the correct drivers for the new hardware but you can probably find WinXP drives for your new parts and work around that.

If you want more info on that dual boot option let us know.

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
Why don't you just run windows easy transfer wizard if you still have the XP computer operational since that will save everything into one backup file that you can load on the 7 computer which keeps all your settings such as background icons on desktop, etc.. the same.

85bj60

Honorable
May 26, 2012
i've installed the HDD and playing with it at the moment. it never crossed my mind about the transfer, good point! can i still do it while the drive is in the new system?

thx,
85bj60

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
If you can boot into windows XP on the new computer somehow without reinstalling it you can. You might have to run the windows recovery stuff from the XP disc because XP was pretty crappy when it came to switching out parts and working.

Flareside

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
If you already have it in the system jsut find your profile in c:\documents and settings\ and copy it. this will grab your old my documents folder pictures movies as well as your favorites.

Flare

85bj60

Honorable
May 26, 2012
ok, i see c: documents and settings! i copy it and paste it where? in the other C: documents and settings? sorry for the dumb questions as i do not want to make a blunder and cry out foolishly for help! i have some other programs that i could still use from the older drive, it started with the favorites of the browser but ending with the the whole works!

thx,
85bj60

85bj60

Honorable
May 26, 2012
by copying the file to the desktop my SSD got filled up quickly. not something i wanted to do. i'll make the old computer functional again as the wife needs it soon. i'll uninstall everything on the new computer and start from scratch. i'll be playing close attention on the drive designation as i go.

thx everyone for their help,
85bj60