Sign in with
Your question

Mice vs. Tablets (Hand issues)

Last response: in Components
January 3, 2003 4:37:27 PM

I'm buying a new system and I'm looking for a good interface. I'm suffering from all kinds of hand problems from all the data entry jobs I worked in college. I'm wanting to use my computer for video editing and photoshop (plus some gaming).

Has anyone tried out any of Wacom's pen tablets? I was thinking of the Intuos2 6"x8" pad as a possibility.

If anyone has any other alternative interface suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,
Cauldar

New SYSTEM: P4 2.4B MHz Processor/ ASUS P4PE motherboard/ Crucial Micron 512MB PC2700 DDR RAM/ Gainward GeForce4 4200/ WD 120GB Hard drive/ Logitec Z640 5:1 Speakers/ Cannibalized from old PII computer (CD-RW drive/ floppy drive/ 17" monitor/ DVD-ROM)
January 3, 2003 7:29:37 PM

try one of the better trackballs

<b><font color=blue>Press 1 if you want to be on hold, 2 for disconnect, 3 for a representative who will put you on hold before disconnecting.</font color=blue></b>
January 4, 2003 12:08:01 AM

It's the same sort of problem as a mouse. It's better, but I'm looking for something that gets away from the whole mouse-style interface.
Related resources
January 4, 2003 1:53:57 AM

mouse and pads require wrist movement, trackballs require thumb movement. If you have pain then you would be happy using your thumb only

you can find a few that feel great, others are odd a little. just give them a try at some store where they don't have them on an angled display and see. now they have opticals, should be even better than the older ones

<A HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/catalog/display.asp?subid=22&s..." target="_new">MS</A>
<A HREF="http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm?page=products/product..." target="_new">Logitech</A>

<b><font color=blue>Press 1 if you want to be on hold, 2 for disconnect, 3 for a representative who will put you on hold before disconnecting.</font color=blue></b>
January 4, 2003 7:36:01 AM

Like Andrew said, the Pads still have wrist movement, but what kind of pain are you having?

I prefer trackball also, but use my fingers to move the ball
and thumb and ring finger to click. I use a logitech trackball, I find it faster and more precise then a regular mouse for gaming and graphics.

If you want to get away from a mouse style interface you could look at this product:<A HREF="http://www.essentialreality.com/" target="_new">http://www.essentialreality.com/&lt;/A>

the Prisoner

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad: 
January 4, 2003 6:13:44 PM

I did a lot of numeric keypad work so a lot of the pain is centered along the outside of my right hand, along the pinky. I also get some pain on the thumb-side. I have a Kensington Turboball which is better than a mouse, but it can still be aggravating.

Are there any raves out there for a particular type of trackball?

I was hoping to hear something positive about the pen tablets on the market but it doesn't sound like anyone's using them. Aside from the Wacom website testimonials and a fleetingly-brief mention of them in a THG article, I haven't heard much.

Aren't there any graphic designer types out there?

-Cauldar
January 5, 2003 2:02:45 AM

I owned the Intuos2 12'x12'. "Owned" is the key.

You sound like me. I'm a graphic/webdesigner and I've used a mouse for so many years now that I'm sure I'll be in surgery soon to repair all the damage that this friggin "natural" keyboard and "user friendly" mouse have caused me through the years.

About 5 months ago I picked up the Intuos2.

It was odd to say the least. I for sure see the potential in it's performance and do believe that with some time and practice I would be able to use it pretty well. However, the performance promises that were made just didn't seem to live up to its steep price tag. The 1024 levels of pressure required a little more pressure than you'd expect from it's promises of "feather light touch response".

All in all I was disappointed.

That said, I do have a friend who has been using a wacom tablet for about 2 years now. He's able to do things On that thing that take me twice as long to do with my Ole mouse and keyboard. Granted, he still uses a mouse for every day internet/business app use.

So again, I think with practice I might have got the hang of it. I just truly didn't want to. It felt wrong, I'm sure, from all the years with the trusty mouse.

I'm not sure if holding a pen would help your problems in your hands anyway. Repetitive motions in a relaxed state (your hand resting on a mouse, lets say) are supposed to be less harmful than if you are in a tensed state (lets say holding a pencil/pen all day, and writing). That's probably why teachers make up the largest percentage of people afflicted with carpal tunnel.

So, yah, the tablet is cool, and I've seen it work wondered, but My choice is to stay with my mouse. The price was tooooo much, and it just didn't seem as good of a product as they promised.

Hope that ramble helps a little. At least it's another opinion. Hell, if you have the money, go "borrow" one for a few days, and just take it back. You may love it.

Good Luck

<b>If it aint broke, then hell, you aint looking at it in the right frame of mind!</b>
January 5, 2003 2:04:52 AM

Oh my!!

A computer tablet that's 12 feet across. No wonder it was too expensive. HA!

Correction 12"x12".

<b>If it aint broke, then hell, you aint looking at it in the right frame of mind!</b>
January 5, 2003 7:43:22 AM

If you really have problems with your hands pen tablets will more than likely worsen them.

Like Mind Crime said, holding a pen is a lot more stressful than laying the hand on a mouse or trackball.

You might want to look into this...<A HREF="http://www.tifaq.com/mice/other-devices.html" target="_new">http://www.tifaq.com/mice/other-devices.html&lt;/A>

There's a lot of options on this link but I was looking at the Natural Point trackIR because of its price.

BTW, what kind of keyboard are you using? I've got Microsoft's Natural Keyboard w/the wrist leveler and been using it for over a year now. No problems. Whenever I go to a straight keyboard, after 5 minutes of typing my right hand where the edge of the palm meets the wrist starts to hurt. With the ergonomic keyboard I don't experience it. May be worth looking into.

Hope this helps.

Vagabond

<b><font color=blue>veni,vidi, and ended up in THGC<font color=blue></b>
January 5, 2003 1:18:48 PM

That's interesting because the biggest push that Wacom makes for their tablets is that they relieve hand stress.

I do hand writing all the time and I never notice the type of hand strain I find when I use a mouse during the typical workday. I saw the 6"x8" Intuos2 tablet on Amazon.com for $310, which ain't cheap.

Thanks for the imput.

-Cauldar
January 5, 2003 1:31:19 PM

Cool website.

I have a natural keyboard which is MUCH better than the standard one.

Maybe I should just get out more- not spend so much time at my computer.

Thanks,
Cauldar
January 5, 2003 2:30:26 PM

The Natural Point is relatively cheap. Maybe an alternative.

Glad it helped.

Vagabond

<b><font color=blue>veni,vidi, and ended up in THGC<font color=blue></b>
January 5, 2003 2:36:30 PM

Yes, another selling point that I personally feel wasn't very true on Wacoms part. I'm not a Wacom hater. I hope I don't sound that way :) 

It's like you said...you personally don't feel the strain from writing. I can say that I actually do feel more strain when I write for long periods of time. The back of the thumb, where it connects to the wrist seems to be tensed too long and I'm always looking for someone to "shake my thumb, please". That gets severe at times.

That's just the thing. There are obviously people who Never feel the stresses of pen/pencil use, just as there are people who never feel those stresses with a Mouse. It's all in individual problems with individual things. We seem to have a problem with a mouse.

I think that you for sure should give the tablet a 30 day trial, from a store that will allow you to return it within that time frame. Like you said, it ain't cheap, so you for sure don't want to be stuck with it if you just can't get the hang of it, like me.

Of course, there are other choices, like the link that vagabond posted (which were pretty cool, btw:) .

Again, good luck.

!