NTFS/fat32 conflict?

cojer

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
i have a comp with one HD with ntfs under win 2k pro. I'd like to add this other drive with lots of data I would like to keep, but it uses fat32. Will I have a problem hooking this drive up to the system? would i benefit from copying att the data onto the ntfs drive, reformat the fat32 under ntfs, and copy it back? thanks

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
it will be able to read the fat32 drive no problem, making the 2nd drive ntfs is your choice. I don't think there is any gain doing that with a storage drive, but it's good for the NT based OS drive (you have that already).

<b><font color=blue>Press 1 if you want to be on hold, 2 for disconnect, 3 for a representative who will put you on hold before disconnecting.</font color=blue></b>

cojer

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
if formatting logical drives IN 2k or with a 3rd party program like PM the only way to do it? just so used to using fdisk, this seems strange..

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
when I used winxp and decided to remove it I used 98 boot disk (I think, or it was the factory floppy of the drive? not sure) and killed everything on the drive (removed partitions), then re-partitioned because wanted a different cut anyway

the second time I had enough of winxp, used partition magic's boot disks

next time I try winxp I'll leave it fat32, most likely I'll kill it in a month or so again so why bother :lol:

<b><font color=blue>Press 1 if you want to be on hold, 2 for disconnect, 3 for a representative who will put you on hold before disconnecting.</font color=blue></b>